• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Otto NoizeBarrier Enough?

jdodd

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2011
Maine
I would like some better hearing protection for outdoor/prs shooting and hunting in the fall. This lead me to the Otto's. Will they be enough to protect my hearing from a 26" 6.5cm with a hellfire muzzle brake? I dont know enough about db ratings etc. to be confident they will fully protect my hearing.

Years of hunting without ear pro and some ill fitting over the ear sets have left me with some tinnitus. I want to protect every bit of hearing I have left.

Thoughts from the hide? Otto's "enough" hearing protection?

More than enough for when I shoot my 24" 6.5cm, also with a hellfire.

surprisingly enough foam earplugs are one of the best NRR rated devices you can use to protect your ears at approximately NRR of 33. The Otto Noize barreiers have a NRR upto 40 while still allowing normal conversation tone. Compare this to the very popular howard leight model with an NRR of only 22 (https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B001T7QJ9O).

The otto noize are very expensive for something that barely works better than the foam earplugs but if you value the ability to communicate and hear at a normal level they are a great asset to your hearing health.

surprisingly enough foam earplugs are one of the best NRR rated devices you can use to protect your ears at approximately NRR of 33. The Otto Noize barreiers have a NRR upto 40 while still allowing normal conversation tone. Compare this to the very popular howard leight model with an NRR of only 22 (https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B001T7QJ9O).

The otto noize are very expensive for something that barely works better than the foam earplugs but if you value the ability to communicate and hear at a normal level they are a great asset to your hearing health.

Thank you for the info! I have a set of howard leight's and never found them to fit well when shooting my rifles. I found the seal on the right ear often wasnt great so even when I did wear them I still got some ringing in my right ear.

I didnt know that about foam ear plugs...learn something new everyday. The ability to be able to hear conversation / hunt with them is worth the price for me.

NRR on the Otto is 28. I asked an audiologist if they would be enough for range use last week and he recommended against it, suggesting to double up with in ear and over ear. Maybe for hunting you are firing so few rounds it might be ok.

Reactions: PappyM3
NRR on the Otto is 28. I asked an audiologist if they would be enough for range use last week and he recommended against it, suggesting to double up with in ear and over ear. Maybe for hunting you are firing so few rounds it might be ok.

Curious on the different ratings. They list foam plugs at 28db but say 40db of impulse reduction? Different ratings?

Curious on the different ratings. They list foam plugs at 28db but say 40db of impulse reduction? Different ratings?

NRR is traditionally applicable to steady-state noise and impulse just that an impulse of noise. Gunshots are obviously more of an impulse than let's say a large diesel engine running in steady-state so therefore you will see some hearing protection list impulse as this is more applicable to gun shots unless you are shooting indoors were reverberation creates a more steady-state noise environment.

NRR is traditionally applicable to steady-state noise and impulse just that an impulse of noise. Gunshots are obviously more of an impulse than let's say a large diesel engine running in steady-state so therefore you will see some hearing protection list impulse as this is more applicable to gun shots unless you are shooting indoors were reverberation creates a more steady-state noise environment.

Makes sense to me. I just placed an order with brownells for a set as I have my first PRS match next weekend. Ill post up some thoughts after I get to use them.

Definitely not enough for me. I ran them solo for 6-8 months and have noticed a definite hearing shift. I now run double them under MSA’s and notice a difference whenever shooting around other rifles. With pistols, they work well.

I have them definitely not enough especially with other shooters and under metal roof structures.

Nothing has worked better for me than Howard light plugs doubles up with passive muffs. If I want to hear other people a little better, I'll double up with Sordins turned all the way up.

I never found the Sordins necessary though. I can still hear well enough doubled up with passive muffs.

I have them definitely not enough especially with other shooters and under metal roof structures.
This is huge. I shoot under a covered area as well and they are certainly not enough for me anyways.

I use foam plugs. When I want to communicate at a match or the range, I put my sordins on over the top.

They are, just not for range environment pinned between two braked rifles under a metal roof on a concrete pad.

I generally use foamies and then wear my electronic ear pro on top so I can hear fine. Unfortunately for me I'm noise sensitive so this is what I do to get over it.

Reactions: 260284
Any time I'll be under cover of oth a gun I go with goalies and muffs. One or the other might be fine out in the open, but structures really reflect sound back to you. With a brake I'd go double always- especially for PRS where everyone is shooting and your around hundreds of shots. For hunting, I'm hanging my ear pro off the end of the barrel...

I love my Otto's. For me they are good even with the brake on the rifle.

Yeah, i just ordered a set from brownells with the comply foam tips off amazon. Worth a shot!

Ill make sure if I am indoors I use additional protection. I almost never shoot indoors so not a big deal.

Last edited:
The NRR ratings are going to differ with what type of tips you use and how well they seal. The foamy inserts that come with the Ottos are about the best on comfort and seal but they don't last very long when used a lot. I found that the Skull Screws (I have larger ear canals to seal) work best for me. I get them in bulk so I can keep spares on hand and they will work on the Ottos.

Brakes are always going to punish you more with any "in ear" protection because the way your bone structure exaggerates the blast/shock wave compared to when over-ear muff type protection is used. Like blair mentioned above, you may want to keep a set of muffs handy in case you need to double up when shooting a stage or whatever from inside a connex or other structure that may tend to put the blast and shock wave back on you.

I like the OTTOs a lot.

^ Pretty much what Terry said. I like mine a lot. I also learned the hard way that it's a good idea to use the "dummy string" with them after ripping my beanie and multiple hoods off during the downpour on day 2 at the Gunwerks NRL match and having one of my Ottos come flying out and disappear into deep mud, never to be found. Luckily I was able to order a single replacement instead of a whole new set.

I've been using Otto's for about a year and really like them. I used electronic muffs for 10 years. The muffs reduce sound better, but made it hard for me to get a good cheek weld on my rifle. Once my rifle butt actually lifted the earmuff enough that it didn't block anything. That was the day I decided to spend the money for the Otto's.

Most of my shooting is at outdoor matches or outdoor ranges. No concrete pads, and no roofs. A concrete pad and roof really amplify things. If I were shooting at an indoor range I would use muffs with maybe plugs under them.

For hunting I think the Otto's will offer more than adequate protection.

Another user here - Ottos with the skullscrew foam tips which are much better for me than any of the ones it comes with. I also use a set of fancy pants MSA Soridin Pros.

The Otto's are definitely not enough for a range/fireing line and I don't even like them when by myself on a concrete pad with metal roof. They're passable, but if I'm going to shoot 50+ rounds, I prefer the MSA over ears.

In an outdoor field setting (I just shot a 1 day PRS saturday) where you are never "next to" a brake, they are really nice and I prefer them to over the ears. Particularly in hot/sweaty weather!

But again, if I was RO'ing and in close proximity to bangs all day long I would go over ear at least (and possibly double up with foams).

IMHO they're not good enough to be the only solution you have, but in some cases they're a huge useability improvement compared to over the ears.

My Ottos work great almost all the time, but it does depend on the environment. Under a metal roof shooting braked 50s continuously..... yeah, you might want to double up.

I only use the Ottos about 90% of the time.

Reactions: PappyM3
I find the Otto's work well, but you have to compress the foam and hold in the ear canal for a few minutes. If not, they aren't tight enough and will leak more sound. Once inserted well they work great.

Regular passive foamies from Walker's have an NRR of 32 or 33 depending on the model. Is the benefit of electronics only that you can hear regular convos? Otherwise, I'll just stick with a $25 box of 200 disposable foamies...

I bought different foam plugs for my Otto's. I don't remember what brand, but many of the members on this forum bought them off of Ebay too. The plugs that came with my Otto's did not fit me well.

Another user here - Ottos with the skullscrew foam tips which are much better for me than any of the ones it comes with. I also use a set of fancy pants MSA Soridin Pros.

The Otto's are definitely not enough for a range/fireing line and I don't even like them when by myself on a concrete pad with metal roof. They're passable, but if I'm going to shoot 50+ rounds, I prefer the MSA over ears.

In an outdoor field setting (I just shot a 1 day PRS saturday) where you are never "next to" a brake, they are really nice and I prefer them to over the ears. Particularly in hot/sweaty weather!

But again, if I was RO'ing and in close proximity to bangs all day long I would go over ear at least (and possibly double up with foams).

IMHO they're not good enough to be the only solution you have, but in some cases they're a huge useability improvement compared to over the ears.

I found the over-the-ear pro would hit my stock when settling onto my rifle for both bench and PRS matches. the ear pro would kick off my ear and provide 0 protection on that side. switched to the ottos, which proved better for protection with the foamy tips and actually worked bc they stayed put.

Reactions: anotherwannabe
There are ways to control recoil without a break. But, oh well...

There are ways to control recoil without a break. But, oh well...

I don't disagree with your statement, but at the matches I attend at least 80% of the shooters have brakes. A few have suppressors, and a very few have nothing. 80% might even be a gross underestimate.

The Otto branded plugs (Noise Barrier) are made by Etymotic Research which is now owned by Lucid Audio. Lucid renamed them Sat•T•Ears which are available now. There was a non-compete clause for anything labelled as being used with firearms, in the buyout or something, which is why Etymotic sold them under the Otto company for a while until it all got worked out or expired.

Anyway, I have been a user of Etymotic's product for 5 years now and absolutely love them. I started with the battery operated Gunsport Pro's, and recently switched to the Saf•T•Ear rechargeable (Noise barrier type) which are great as well. Advantages over simple foamies are of course the ability to clearly hear normal lower dB sounds while simultaneously filtering out damaging noises. The plugs don't just turn on/off like most cheap muffs do, rather, they actively attenuate dangerous level noises and amplify lower level sounds to an even level, just below 80-dB which is where most hearing loss begins.

They also have a second mode which amplifies low dB sounds 5x, which is helpful for folks who are hunting or whatever....kind of like a hearing aid. The plugs are used in many applications other than shooting sports, for hearing protection, such as industrial factories etc.

You can pick and choose from many different sized ear tips to fit your ear or even get custom molds done for them. As far as NRR, they are rated as high as just about any other quality ear pro. I too don't like to be under metal roof between braked rifles with them or any other hearing protection. Best defense against that is to not be down on the line. I always sit up and back when the guy prone beside me starts shooting. The muzzle blast to the face sucks no matter what you're wearing in your ears.

Reactions: rhydet and Stoweit
Expensive yes. But for me an excellent investment. With significant hearing loss already I couldn't communicate when I was using adequate passive hearing protection. Now the Otto's allow me to talk to others. And I keep a pair of passive, over the ear muffs handy in case some guy sets up right next to me with an APA Lil Bastard or the like.

As for me I'm only interested in shooting with my SiCo Omega any more. And using the can I'm working on improving my recoil management to spot more hits/misses during matches.

The NRR ratings are going to differ with what type of tips you use and how well they seal. The foamy inserts that come with the Ottos are about the best on comfort and seal but they don't last very long when used a lot. I found that the Skull Screws (I have larger ear canals to seal) work best for me. I get them in bulk so I can keep spares on hand and they will work on the Ottos.

Brakes are always going to punish you more with any "in ear" protection because the way your bone structure exaggerates the blast/shock wave compared to when over-ear muff type protection is used. Like blair mentioned above, you may want to keep a set of muffs handy in case you need to double up when shooting a stage or whatever from inside a connex or other structure that may tend to put the blast and shock wave back on you.

I like the OTTOs a lot.

Are you still using skull screws? Is it the standard ones or is there a set special for ottos?