• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Out of the box varmint rifle

sakotrg22uso

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
I'm curently looking for a new varmint rifle. I have some ideas, but would like some advices/comments/suggestions as my choice is not defenitive. My budget is about 1200-1400$ for the rifle only, looking for a 22-250, I will mostly use it against groundhogs and am looking for something that I will be able to use between 50-300yds. I'm not a big fan of remis by the way.

My first choice:
Savage 12 lrpv single shot
I like the 1:9 twist, but think it's a bit heavy. I've not seen one physically, kind of afraid it looks odd (right bolt, left port). Biggets concern it might take months before I can see the color of it (I'm from Canada by the way)??

My second choice:
Kimber 84m varmint
I like the look and the feel, don't like the limitating 1:14 rate of twist, seen quite a lot of bad review, but it's availible right away???

I looked at:
Tikka T3 varmint (I already have a T3 and am not impressed by the long term accuracy of the rifle)
Tikka T3 supervarmint (Cant figure out why it's 500$ more than the varmint)

I'm a missing anything worth mentionning?

Edit:
Last question, in your opinion, is it better to go with a rate of twist 1:9 to accept heavier bullet to get theses littles guys furter, or to go for a lighter bullet that goes boom!

Re: Out of the box varmint rifle

Take a look at the other Savage 12 models. They aren't near as heavy as the LRPV line but are pretty damn good for the price. Like this one:

http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm

You could easily build one with the LRPV action, stock of your choice and add a Shilen or McGowen aftermarket barrel for the price you are looking at.

Also the LRPV comes in a repeater version that is Right Port, Right Bolt if that helps. Usually they are less than $100 more than the single shot.

Mike

I have a savage 12 lrpv in 204 ruger. It is a tack driver and the right bolt left port is nice once you get used to it. The rifle is heavy, but I am not walking around with it. The 204 might be a little light for ground hogs as you cannot really use anything heavier than the 40 gr vmax. If you reload the 6mm BR would be a nice caliber for what you are doing.

If you are not stuck on the caliber, I would suggest a .223 since you mentioned only up to 300 yards.

Winchester makes a good varmint rifle, twist rate favorable for those 77 grain .223 pills which will deciamter any groundhog

Sako has a nice rifle since you mentioned 1200.00 for rifle only, why a tikka, sako is the big brother.

There is also the fairly new .204 ruger catridge which has such little recoil, you can watch the sod poodles explode on impact with a 11 pound rifle.

whatever you decide, I am sure it will be fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sakotrg22uso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at:
Tikka T3 varmint (I already have a T3 and am not impressed by the long term accuracy of the rifle)
Tikka T3 supervarmint (Cant figure out why it's 500$ more than the varmint)
</div></div>

Just curious, but why are you not impressed by the T3 Longterm accuracy? I just picked up a T3 Varmint, and always looking for all points of view on rifles.

definetly don't buy the kimber I have had 3 kimber rifles none were great shooters. I currently own 3 savage varmint rigs all will shoot 1/2moa easily at 300yds. I own a 204 lrpv and it is an insane shooter with no recoil, I would however suggest the repeater unless you want the 1 in 7 twist barrel. If you are going to be packing it around a bunch I would suggest either a model 12 fvss, model 12 4x4 20"barrel, or model 10 predator all are great rifles. you cant go wrong with a savage and if you ever deciede to upgrade all you need is to buy a mcmillan a5 and some 9rd mags from sss and it will look alittle tactical.

Out of the box, I think Savage is the only one that offers a twist option for 22-250. So if you don't want to accept 14" twist, that's your answer. 55 grains @ 3600fps will make ground beef out of your hogs.

regarding the tikka, it's a laminated stainless 7mm rm. The first few time I shot .5-.7 groups... Not it wont shoot less than 1.5, can't figure out why. And I personally think they are now way too expensive. Last year a varmint cost 989$, nowaday they are 1100$, the super varmint was 1400$ now it'S almost 1700$. Sakos are now selling for 1800$... If you consider that a canadian dollar will by me the same amount of good an american dollar will, these rifle are getting expensive and I don't think they are the best bang for the box.

Just see how ridiculosly expensive rifles are in canada:
http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=10110/~pcategory=10100

build a rifle.. Buy an action 400 bucks barrel 300 bucks stock Hs 200 bucks 300 gunsmith 1200 bucks and you will no dought have a great shooter!! Why take a chance when you dont have to! Lee

I'm leaning toward a 223 myself on the Savage 12 Series. The 308 10FP I bought from Wal-mart out shot nearly all of my friends rifles except a custom 222. Not bad for a true out-of-the-box rifle. Copper fouls easily but actually shoots better once fouled.

You won't be unhappy with a Savage. And if you are one of the rare few that are, you can usually sell a Savage pretty easily and get most of your money back.

Mike

Howa's are excellent rifles and very underated! I owned a 30-06 that I only sold because of unemployment. The rifle was extremely well built and very accurate.

Here's a few Varmint rifles that will cost you much less than other brand but do everything the other brands can do and then some.

Hope you can find these in Canada.

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_varmsup.html

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_thmbsporter.html

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_axiomstd2.html

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_axiomstd1.html

http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/howa_hvybarvaminter.html

C-Z 550 Varmint stainless synthetic.. I have one in 308 with set trigger. Shoots 1/2 to 3/4 minute all day with factory loads. Not sure if it is in 22-250.
Next would be a Savage. then a Remington. I would put the Remington first of second but you dont like them.

I bought a Savage 12BVSS in 22-250 about 3 years ago new for $600.00. I also bought a case of Hornady 55 gr VMAX and the gun shoots great out of the box. The average with about 120 rounds is 2 inch aver. groups at 200yds and 3.5 inches at 300yds.

Buy a savage action, screw on a match 204 barrel pick a stock and your good to go. Get some good glass zero it at 220 yards and your set. For what your wanting to do a 204 in my opinion is by far the best choice. Good barrel life, no recoil, plenty of energy and shoots like a laser. Zero it at 220 with the 40 grainers and you have a point and shoot gun to 300 yards. If you want to shoot farther, get a scope with adjustments and you have a 500 yard praire poodle killer.

I second what Skeetlee and Idahoshooter said. I had a gunsmith screw in a custom barrel into a trued rem action, bolted it into a B&C stock, in .204. Kills rock chucks and p dogs like a laser. The .204 is like a free lunch. It shoots as flat as a 22/250, but has the recoil of a .223. Easy to see bullet impact with .204, hard with 22/250. It is definetely "enough gun" for chucks. Never had one ask for seconds. I have killed hundreds of chucks with .222, .223, 22/250, 6br., .204, and they all work great, but he .204 is just so cute.

If it's pdogs, don't worry about heavy bullets. I shoot 40-62gr V-Max in .223 w/14 twist out to 500 yards. zero'd @ 250 yds, it's point n shoot to 300. and ammo costs alone should help make up your mind.

I second the .204. Have a JP Rifles upper and shoot the 39gr Sierra's and its potent. Love the speed for the running shots too.