• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Out with the old in with the new.

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
I would like to first start by saying happy new year and best wishes to all. Well here is the issue for 2011, I have a Rem 700 308 (started life as a 243) in a hogues aluminum bedded stock and a previously owned barrel that come to find out has upwards of 2500 rounds through it. I would like to rebuild it over the next few months, any and all ideas are welcome seeing as I didn't do it right the first time so I want to be sure to get it right this go around. Once again thank you all for your patience and help with a new shooter.

Re: Out with the old in with the new.

Tell us these things:

What do you plan on using it for
Are you going to use MATCH ammo through it.. or store bought
How much $$$ are you willing to put into the project

Matt.

I am a LEO and will be using it for various classes related to the missions LEOs are faced with during deployments, with my over all goals of shooting out to 1000 yards and becoming a instructor. I will be shooting match and reloads. As of right now I have $600.00 cash to do what I can and will be trying to save to do more over a few months.

What type of scope and power range do you have?

Is the HOGUE stock one of the rubber stocks??

If the stock is the rubber HOGUE that would be a GOOD start...

If the barrel is still shooting good at 2500 rounds... you COULD still be good for a few thousand more UNLESS you have been loading REALLY hot rounds or the barrel has LOST MOA...

Give up as much info as possible and we will give you our help as best we can.

At $600.... a good Stock... bedded... would be a GREAT start... if the barrel is FUBAR... then you will just about use up the $600 in a barrel change a trueing... but the accuracy will be GREATLY improved..

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

I do believe it is a rubber stock. I am shooting a millett buck gold tactical 4-16x50 with burris tactical rings and +20 MOA base. The last time I shot the rifle at 100 yard I had a very difficult time shooting less than 1 MOA. I will take it out again next weekend to confirm this since the weather here has been terrible. I have shot some reloads through the barrel but they were not hot loads. Is there any way to know if a barrel is shot out or not just by looking? I have shot this barrel at 100 yards before and shot .5 MOA easy before but it seems like the last two range visits I just couldn't get it done. Sorry if I'm not giving a lot of info I'm just not sure what all I need to give.

What is the twist of the barrel?

What type of ammo have you shot through it when it group .5 and then NOT?

Normally... when accuracy ALL OF A SUDDEN drops to piss poor performance... its NOT the barrel... I would start looking at a loose rings...bad scope...loose base.... or loose action in the stock...

Rings and base should be good to go... but always a good thing to check and make sure they are tightly secured.

I would probably start with a Stock and Bedding job... I think you would notice some VERY good positives from that money.

After the stock and bedding job... I would probably start looking at replacing the scope.... There are ENDLESS possibilities there..

This is ALL assuming the barrel is still good. I would assume that the barrel is still most likely good to go... 2500 rounds is NOT alot.... I would give it a good cleaning... make sure all is tightened up... and use some GOOD Match ammo... Try a 175 grn Match HPBT round... I have had great results with them in my Remmys..

Matt.

The barrel is a 1:10 and I was shooting Federal Match 168gr when I shot the tight group. I have only shot reloads during the initial development phase. I have a check list I go through before I shoot and after I clean and store the rifle. I will re-torque all bolts and screws after cleaning so unless they are shooting loose they should be tight and before I shoot I do a quick tightness check on all the same things. What I will do is order a new stock and start with that first I just hope because of funding issues its not the barrel, unless you think the money will be best spent else where..? Does Bell and Carlson make a good stock I was looking at the A3 or A5 adjustable?

I think the stock will be a BIG help. Just make sure its bedded good and you should see some GREAT improvements.

With a 1/10 barrel... try some 175 grn Match ammo... You might like it a tad better.

Matt.

Thank you very much sir, I will keep you posted. (If you like)

Im always around. Post here or pm me.. Whichever is best for you.

Matt.

Hey got the stock in the mail yesterday and went and shot it today. You were right must have been stock it held a nice tight group at 100 yards and even shot it out to 550 yards with no real issues other than shooter error (because it has been so long). All I need now is some better glass. Thanks for the help man I owe you. If you in my neck of the woods or need anything that I might be able to help with please feel free to drop me a PM.

Get in line for a Vortex PST now that they are hitting the streets.