• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Over coming heat at matchs or atleast dealing with it

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Am curious as to what you are doing to overcome the heat at matchs now that summer is here. I shoot good in the match early on but as I get hot or maybe alittle over heated my site picture moves with my heart beat. I have tried gatorade and cool towels or ice in cups and it has helped but my scores show otherwise in the afternoon.thanks Stan

Hydration, hydration , hydration and it starts two days before. Can’t speak to competition but can speak to framing in 115 degree heat, two stories up, cutting truss tails for fascia. If your not ahead on hydration your behind out of the gate and the small things you mention won’t matter. Gel packed neck bands frozen the night before should help as well.

I would agree with RNW...just under normal conditions you are supposed to drink half your body weight in oz per day. Example 200 pounds you need to to drink 100 oz a day. With being in the extreme heat you are probably going to need to drink twice that amount and prehydrate as stated above. Shot a match the other day in 100 degree heat....started really pounding water two days before and drank about 200 oz during the match. Between each stage I was pounding water. Lay off the Gatorade it has too much sugar.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
Hydration.... Water, but don't forget the electrolytes! ( One of the avid golfers at work had a heart attack on the golf course from being over watered and diluted his electrolytes to dangerous levels) Like said above I'm not a fan of the amount of sugar in Gatorade, I get the Avocare rehydrate, or Squincer lite very low sugar content. Gotta train in the heat also. I have caught myself saying I'll wait to go shoot in the morning or when it starts to cool off.... Just gotta go anyway!

electrolytes are critical and pay attention to what your body is telling you. For me it’s dry lips and grab some hydration right now. Have been hydrated, worked all day and never urinated until that night. For guys in their 50’s (me), ignore hydration at your peril. I don’t even leave the house without eneough water to walk home if I had to.

Are you overweight?

Do you drink plenty of water normally, as in, everyday? Piss clear normally?

I drink 1, 16oz bottle of water every hour that I'm out. Chug it, as your body responds better to that than slow sipping.

I prefer straight water, and appropriate food thoughout the day, but 50/50 water and gatorade is a time proven way to do it. Not one gatorade for every bottle of water, but gatorade cut with water, 50/50.

Loose fitting, long sleeves, and a good wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off you.

As everyone said hydration, but here is more food for thought:

I shoot local club 3 gun/prs/idpa etc down in the Tampa area. From May to September it is expected to be 93 with 75% + in humidity, and sunny all the time with no shade,

1. Hydration as mentioned, but also, EAT. Good breakfast, good snacks at the range. I am a fan of a good trail mix, get a handful or two 20mins before you shoot to help keep the body going

2. Work out IN THE HEAT. I turned my garage into a gym, squat rack, free weights, bench etc. I work out with the garage door open, it’s hot, it sucks, it’s gross, but my body is used to the heat

3. Run or walk/jog outside in the heat,

Listen to your body, if you don’t piss Every few hours you need to drink more

Are you feeling smoked? Drink 20-30oz of cold water, have some food and see how you feel

Wear Columbia pfg long sleeve shirts, get them wet,

Don’t expect to spend most of your life avoiding the hottest part of the day, then on match day to walk out there, be in the sun for 6hrs with no food and very little water and shoot a good stage, it’s not how humans function

That is my opinion and thought process, if I can run 3 miles at 3pm in central Florida in July without dropping as a heat casualty, I should be able to manage a match. Not that I am a top competitor, just s redneck trying to have fun

I'm late 50's and not overweight, I work in the heat, mechanic but do NOT exert myself [work smart] no unnecessary steps. i WAS drinking gatorade w/o diluting it. So next match I will try some of the above advice. And yes I do cardio. thanks and keep them coming need to get past this problem if I am to rise in the ranks! Stan

Reactions: SLG
Hydrate. Water is life. Seriously, I'll repeat start before the match not at the match. I carry a camel back and a cooler.

Gatorade makes a low sugar option, G2. I recently saw a super free but haven't tried it. Powerade has a decent suger free. If you are drinking either "Ade" alternate a bottle of water and a bottle of sports drink. I keep a cooler in my gear with 2 frozen bottles and four cold. By the end of the day the frozen bottles are thawed and ice cold. I also keep a second cooler in the Jeep for after the match to drink on the drive home.

Thin wicking shirts are great. As are hats with wide brims to keep the sun off of your neck and shoulders. There are several that have a solid top and brim with a mesh body that allows air flow through the hat.

I have thought about the "instant ice packs" for emergency cooling. Activate and put in an arm pit or against the neck, but haven't tried it yet. Iight when we get to 600 yards in the August match.

I shoot local club 3 gun/prs/idpa etc down in the Tampa area. From May to September it is expected to be 93 with 75% + in humidity, and sunny all the time with no shade,

1. Hydration as mentioned, but also, EAT. Good breakfast, good snacks at the range. I am a fan of a good trail mix, get a handful or two 20mins before you shoot to help keep the body going

2. Work out IN THE HEAT. I turned my garage into a gym, squat rack, free weights, bench etc. I work out with the garage door open, it’s hot, it sucks, it’s gross, but my body is used to the heat

Are you feeling smoked? Drink 20-30oz of cold water, have some food and see how you feel

Don’t expect to spend most of your life avoiding the hottest part of the day, then on match day to walk out there, be in the sun for 6hrs with no food and very little water and shoot a good stage, it’s not how humans function

That is my opinion and thought process, if I can run 3 miles at 3pm in central Florida in July without dropping as a heat casualty, I should be able to manage a match. Not that I am a top competitor, just s redneck trying to have fun

Central Florida sun? We enjoy the same stuff. You ever hit the mysterious Florida mountains?

All excellent advice.

Be fit. Eat breakfast and have intermittent, small snacks. Easily digested cut-up fresh fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, peaches, mandarin oranges) in a small ice-cooler will lower and keep your core temperature down as your stomach has to warm it up to digest; the fructose will also keep you from getting sugar-rushes and mess with your pulse.

Drink water and diluted Gatorade. Wear light clothing (look at fly-fishing shirts for an idea of lightweight, quick-drying material that provides some sun protection).

Too much water can get you into hyponatremia, where you've flushed or sweated out electrolytes to the point you cramp (or worse).

Last edited:
Pedialyte, electrolyte replacement drink with reduced sugar. Made for children and adults who are in a condition where they are stressed, especially by heat.

If your cardiac health is impaired, especially if you have Congestive Heart Failure (as I do), over hydration is a real concern. When I had my heart attack back in May 2017, it was caused by excessive hydration. I had been doing volunteer work cleaning up the town cemetery, and it was hot, like it is today (92 99 101 currently). The impaired heart cannot move the increased volume of fluid in the body.

It can become further complicated by kidney failure (which, so far, I don't have...). So if your urine is clear, you already have enough hydration. Two months earlier (in Phoenix) I had become stressed during a rifle match and decided to listen to my body, which was telling me that as important as the match was, my health was not up to the challenge, and I retired from the match after the first of three relays.

That level headed decision probably saved my life that day, and allowed me to have my MI episode in a time and place where excellent health care was able to reach me in minutes.

After the hydration, do things to reduce the heat's impact.

Evaporation. Wear cotton, bring a spray bottle and lots of plain tap water to keep it filled over and over. Keeping your clothing damp (not soaked) will allow air currents to remove heat from your body by evaporation. As relative humidity increases, evaporative cooling becomes less and less effective. This added process spares much of the body's own fluids and electrolytes, going pretty far toward staving off heat exhaustion.

Think. If you're hydrated effectively (clear urine), are already doing the evaporation thing, and have a hat on with broad brim and a large air volume over the head, and you're still uncomfortable enough that it intrudes into your shooting concentration, A) you've already lost the match, and B) you may be threatening your life, too. Heat exhaustion kills.

So think, too. If you have impaired cardiac health, and especially of you have kidney failure issues, seriously consider rescheduling activities that can threaten your future.

Greg

PS My Wife Celia is in the hospital right now with a serious heat injury. She was in Phoenix a week back and tripped in the hotel parking lot, which was paved with blacktop. The temp was 114. The pavement was so hot she couldn't touch it to push herself back up. It took over ten minutes before a passerby found her and was able to help her up. When she checked herself into Emergency, she had second degree burns on a significant portion of her lower body, complicated by bad abrasions. She had one surgical procedure Monday to clear the healing skin, and is due for another one tomorrow. She may come home over the weekend, but more likely Monday.

She's a tough cookie, but this one has us all rattled. She is in University Hospital, Banner, in Tucson and receiving the highest level of great care. Elena is staying in town with her while I tend the home and the four critters 80 miles East of there.

We're doing as well as is possible, but again, I say to you guys, when the heat gets up there, think ahead; what happened to her could happen to anyone. I'm 72 and far from tiptop shape. There's a heat advisory this week. I'm staying home in the A/C, we already have more than enough excitement going on at the moment without me making bad decisions on top of all that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BabypoopFAL
Pedialyte, electrolyte replacement drink with reduced sugar. Made for children and adults who are in a condition where they are stressed, especially by heat.

If your cardiac health is impaired, especially if you have Congestive Heart Failure (as I do), over hydration is a real concern. When I had my heart attack back in May 2017, it was caused by excessive hydration. I had been doing volunteer work cleaning up the town cemetery, and it was hot, like it is today (92 99 101 currently). The impaired heart cannot move the increased volume of fluid in the body.

It can become further complicated by kidney failure (which, so far, I don't have...). So if your urine is clear, you already have enough hydration. Two months earlier (in Phoenix) I had become stressed during a rifle match and decided to listen to my body, which was telling me that as important as the match was, my health was not up to the challenge, and I retired from the match after the first of three relays.

That level headed decision probably saved my life that day, and allowed me to have my MI episode in a time and place where excellent health care was able to reach me in minutes.

After the hydration, do things to reduce the heat's impact.

Evaporation. Wear cotton, bring a spray bottle and lots of plain tap water to keep it filled over and over. Keeping your clothing damp (not soaked) will allow air currents to remove heat from your body by evaporation. As relative humidity increases, evaporative cooling becomes less and less effective. This added process spares much of the body's own fluids and electrolytes, going pretty far toward staving off heat exhaustion.

Think. If you're hydrated effectively (clear urine), are already doing the evaporation thing, and have a hat on with broad brim and a large air volume over the head, and you're still uncomfortable enough that it intrudes into your shooting concentration, A) you've already last the match, and B) you may be threatening your life, too. Heat exhaustion kills.

So think, too. If you have impaired cardiac health, and especially of you have kidney failure issues, seriously consider rescheduling activities that can threaten your future.

Greg

PS My Wife Celia is in the hospital right now with a serious heat injury. She was in Phoenix a week back and tripped in the hotel parking lot, which was paved with blacktop. The temp was 114. The pavement was so hot she couldn't touch it to push herself back up. It took over ten minutes before a passerby found her and was able to help her up. When she checked herself into Emergency, she had second degree burns on a significant portion of her lower body, complicated by bad abrasions. She had one surgical procedure Monday to clear the healing skin, and is due for another one tomorrow. She may come home over the weekend, but more likely Monday.

She's a tough cookie, but this one has us all rattled. She is in University Hospital, Banner, in Tucson and receiving the highest level of great care. Elena is staying in town with her while I tend the home and the four critters 80 miles East of there.

We're doing as well as is possible, but again, I say to you guys, when the heat gets up there, think ahead; what happened to her could happen to anyone. I'm 72 and far from tiptop shape. There's a heat advisory this week. I'm staying home in the A/C, we already have more than enough excitement going on at the moment without me making bad decisions on top of all that.
I hope your wife has a speedy recovery Greg.

Recalling from my college track and field days, just above the wrist on the inside of the forearms (distal anterior wrist), are lots of veins close to the skin. There’s a good place to press a liter bottle of cold water for a few minutes.

Thank you.

I just spoke with her and she's about to go into the OR for her second debridement, and probably skin graft(s?). The way she and her medical team talk, this is very routine and she should be home sometime in the next 3-4 days.

I'm stuck at home and not at all happy with that, but with the dynamics of the situation recommend our Granddaughter Elena be the person onsite. I'm going with it reluctantly. Elena is very capable, and her youth makes her far better suited than this Elder Fart for the front line on this. We got very lucky when she chose to make her home with us.

We'll weather this, our healthcare support is very adequate, and we're hoping to put it all in the rear view mirror ASAP. All things pass, eventually.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
I am sorry to hear that and pray that Celia will heal quickly. It can get brutally hot here in PHX in the summer. I don't want to even think what it would be like to be stuck on the blacktop and not able to get up.

Regarding shooting in the heat. Lots of good advice given. Wide brimmed hat, pre-hydration, fluids, light long sleeves all help. I usually use a cold, wet hankerchief tied around my neck in close contact with the Carotid arteries. Seems to trick my brain into thinking its a few degrees cooler than it really is. Looks dorky as hell, but I can give two shits when I'm out doing yardwork or on the range.

Spoke with her again 6:15AM today, very good postop results, she has grafts, they were thinking then of sending her home today, but that's been postponed until (?) tomorrow.

She told us to stay home today, we probably will.

For sun, I have restrictions based on my prior radiotherapy; no sun. I am never more than 5 minutes with exposed skin, pretty near always wear long sleeves outdoors. I look like a tall (6' 5+"), skinny (160's), pale plucked chicken (no further description appropriate/necessary).

Maintaining enough hydration without overdoing it is like walking a tightrope for me, plus all the meds I'm on mean my mouth is abnormally dry to begin with, so thirst is not an accurate indicator.

Oh, well...

Greg

Last edited:
She came home late yesterday afternoon. She requires constant attention. Her already compromised mobility is further complicated by mummy bandages to her legs from the top to tip of toe, and knee braces to keep the legs immobile and the skin from stretching while the five skin grafts heal. Every move requires physical support from another. It's a bit intense, but doable.

We married going on 48 years ago this month, and this is what I signed on for. This, too, will pass.

I apologize to all for the thread hijack, but it's somewhat related to the original subject.

Greg

Get over the NRA pissing contest. It's an overpriced cooler and they changed their discount program. NRA didn't like it and cried, way to protect our Rights and promote competition.

They did not just change their discount program. They said they would no longer do business with the NRA. It only makes sense that the NRA (us) should no longer do business with them.

*steers the truck back to the topic.

I drink about a gallon of water, 2x 32oz gatoraids, and eat nut/chocolate/raisin trail mix. Over matches that start at 7am and get us off the lines by 4-5pm, I am usually fairly fatigued by the end, but rarely smoked, and still pretty functional on a rifle.

If heat index is to be up towards or over 100, I take another gallon. I have used up to half of it before.

Here's this: peeing every 'few hours' is not adequate hydration. If you don't have to pee pretty well on the hour, every hour, you may not be maximizing your chances on small/long range targets.

Also: if you are already thirsty, you're dehydrated. Drink even when the cool guys aren't.

Full disclosure I use a lemon a day drinking water. I have for as long as I can remember. I throw some lemon into my water bottles that I know will stay cold for a day match or practice or hiking or workouts or naked woods sex. Point is it might be more psychological but it zaps me back to feeling good. Im a weird guy, Ill eat lemons whole if need be but if you can throw some fresh lemons in your H20 it helps.

Might seem extreme, but one of our team guys was paramedic and he had all of us carry a iv bag, and if we felt it going south, he'd hook us up.

Otherwise, the hydration, 50/50 mixed water and sport drink, fruits for breakfast, trail mix during the match or exercise, no heavy saturated fat meal or alcohol that night (match night), or the night b4 match, and repeat for day 2.

The worst teams I saw in 40 years of doing this were the meat eating hard drinkers who partied really hard b4 or the night of day 1. Their scores sucked. None of you would over eat or drink alcohol b4 any other serious sporting event, so why do it at a weekend shooting match ?

Have at least a heat educated buddy and watch each other. Hopefully the match organizers or runners think of this too, and have a paramedic available, and or provide extra hydration just in case.

There is a "mix powder" called Patriot Power Alliance" greens, a vegetable extract. One mix of this b4 match in the hydration, and one mix about noon, during the match, and you would be very surprised to see the results. Try it...

I personally found out the result of over watering and peeing out the electrolytes and what follows, 3 days in hospital and about two weeks of general recovery. Mix, mix, mix the water with a recognized sport drink. Doesn't hurt to make it a life habit....
Half your body weight in ounces every day, yes....

I used the neckgaiters, coolers, or a wet cut up cotton tee shirt. It makes a difference. In matches and in practices, I wore the same clothes I wore on call outs, and for pure competitive score, this wasn't my best option, the Columbia shirts, long sleeve heat gear, and wide brimmed hats can help you, but at least practice in the same clothes you will compete in....

And if you are really serious...... it's one thing to run or walk the track in exercise clothes, but, a 10-15 # back pack, during running or walking, and your match performance should improve... heat should bother you less at the match.

Otherwise, some excellent advice. This should be a sticky.

Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS
Drink water and eat all day during match. Apply and reapply sunscreen, wear loose fitting clothes, hat and sunglasses. If you have the time to acclimatize yourself to the heat, that's great. Go jogging during the day, go hiking during the summer. Just build up to it slowly, there is nothing you can't do as long SD you're prepared.

It's a medley of factors; electrolytes, hydration, blood sugar, and probably a few more things too. No one thing is 'the' answer.

It all starts with the body's basic fitness. No fitness, no easy solution.

My carcass is a lost cause; I know it, and keep my goals within my capabilities. Getting old sucks and it's worse when you have to deal with non-standard, non-basic old age health issues.

But that's no excuse for giving up on the fitness. I've survived a few things that most people only get one chance at. It was the fitness that allowed me to survive, recover, and then handle the next challenge.

I.e:
Mixed Cell Lymphoma 1993
Hodgkins Lymphoma 1997
Myocardial Infarct 2004, CABGx4, resulting Left Ventricular Myopathy with 40% ejection fraction, Congestive Heart Failure, COPD, Pacemaker/Defibrillator
Myocardial Infarct 2017 from CHF fluid overload, very small resulting degradation

Greg

Last edited:
Maybe I'm getting old, but I find that when I'm getting a little dehydrated the very first thing I notice is that my vision suffers. Makes sense to me, and good vision is a hefty advantage in this sport....

When I get significantly dehydrated I often get Ocular Migraines. No pain, no real harm, I can't read very well with it, shooting gets too complex, and I would change drivers if I was in the driver's seat.

Greg

I also live in the Tampa area and the above advice is spot on.
I've cycled as much as 120 miles in a single day (followed by another 75 the next day) here in the Florida heat and humidity.
Pre exercise hydration is vitally important, almost more important than during exercise.
There are tons of supplements for your hydration needs that can be found at your local bike shop.
I started off using Nuun tablets and eventually switched to a brand that comes in a gallon container and is scooped like protein supplements.
Nutrition is also important, but if you can't stomach food in the heat, try the Gu packets. As soon as you feel a bit peakish, slurp one down and have a small drink of water. Less than a minute later you'll feel it's positive effects.

Lastly, avoding the heat just makes it harder to deal with. Get out there and slowly get yourself used to its brutality.

Reactions: z7.jled
Being in shape helps.

Heat acclimation helps too. Going out and spending time outside doing something makes it a lot more bearable so the match isn't going to shock your system.

Gatorade sucks. Pedialyte is where it's at. Also the little gel packs that marathon runners is a good thing. It's really easy to get behind schedule on salt and food intake so the quick licky and chewies help make a difference.

Or just get really drunk before a match and don't sleep and shoot on auto-pilot because you want to die. I've done that a few times and it's worked out.

Yesterday, nearly two months after the fact, I took Celia back to the Banner Clinics for her followup at the Burn Unit.

The burns and grafts are essentially fully healed, her abrasions are about done, she only has one serious one on her right heel that is still (slowly) closing up. It affects her mobility quite a bit, but we manage.

I figure, another month if all continues as well as it's been going. The nurses are very impressed with both her rate of healing and great attitude.

We remain fortunate so far.

This is now the midst of Monsoon Season here in SE AZ. Heat is finally coming down below the 100's, but the humidity is several times normal. A lot of folks use evaporative coolers ("Swamp Coolers") for their homes, and this is precisely the time when the grossly higher humidity makes them a lot less effective.

The nighttime Thunderstorms are utterly spectacular, sometimes with 30 or more strikes per minute. As light shows go, it's hard to beat.

Our VFW serves as a community cooling center. We just spent five figures to eliminate the Swamp Coolers, and put in very adequate new high capacity room air conditioners. We also strive to be able to offer at least one full meal a day, some days free with dishes to pass from many members. My specialties are a hearty Beef Stew, and Chicken Rice Soup.

Our VFW Post 9977 just won the National Veterans and Servicemen's Assistance Award from the VFW.

It sets the bar higher for us to keep our standards at their peak.

A year ago we were worrying we would have to close the doors forever. Our new Commander has really turned things around. He and many others are Total and Permanent Service Connected Disabled Veterans and a lot plow significant portions of their VA income into the post because the community depends so hard upon it.

We have good Central A/C in our own home, and it makes these times tolerable. Even so, an hour or two out in the worst of it can set me back several days recuperating/rehydrating; I need to plan my activities accordingly. Range days end at Noon.

Thinking is an indispensable trait these days.

Mike C has got it right. I have a treadmill in my garage, which is not air conditioned, and spend considerable time in the earlier part of the day doing chores (mostly handloading and firearms maintenance/upgrading, including the shop itself) before the heat builds too high daily in the attached shop. I feel that I have built up my heat tolerance somewhat, and take care to stay reasonable in that process. One doesn't acclimate to the heat by hiding from it, nor by overindulging, either. I also do some modified calisthenics (angled pushups, crunches, etc.) to maintain upper body fitness, too.

I'm no strongman, but I need to keep the fitness up there to cope with the underlying infirmities, and be prepared for other inevitable challenges.

Greg

Last edited:
Celia is just about fully recovered, with a nagging abrasion still healing on the bottom of her right heel. They are employing Meta-Honey as the primary therapy. Otherwise all is healed.

FYI, the final numbers aren't completely in yet, but the billing currently exceeds $59K. This is not a hardship; Insurance meets a lot of it, and CHAMPVA picks up the entire remaining Copay. We are extremely fortunate in that.

My own condition has slipped a fair bit. I'm getting fluid buildups that are hard to pinpoint any cause. Had to call in the local EMS Monday night for some oxygen, the discretionary Lasix was not keeping up with the chest tightness. 45 minutes later and I was back off the oxygen and calm, collected. The chest tightness comes and goes, mainly around bedtime and rising time, and I'm running on the Lasix twice a day instead of once. I'm told it can take up to a week to fully resolve a fluid overload.

Making progress, but it's slow.

Greg

Last edited:
Train harder than you compete. Spend time doing strenuous activities in the heat of the day. Shooting in the same conditions will be easier.

Am curious as to what you are doing to overcome the heat at matchs now that summer is here.
Get in shape, and condition yourself to strenuous physical activity in the heat and humidity.

Try wearing all this shit while lying in prone for 10 - 20 min in 85 - 90 deg heat and 75%+ humidity while you execute a 20 round course of fire. It will test your endurance.
image.axd_52.jpg

Reactions: z7.jled
BTDT, skipped the Naugahyde shooting jacket, mine is the USMC cotton jacket. I keep a spray bottle of water and dampen the jacket periodically. The evaporation is worth quite a few degrees in the heat.

Greg

75-90 would be a cool day at Camp Perry. I've shot many a 20 shot prone string there with a 100+ degree heat index. You wear a sweat band to keep your eyes clear as sweat is pouring off your head; you have a hand towel next to your rifle to wipe your trigger hand in between shots. When you get done, your clothes are completely soaked.

Reactions: 308pirate