• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Over scoping a precision rifle?

FA Duk

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2019
Michigan
Configuring an AR10 .308 w/ a 20” barrel and thinking a 5-25x56 may be too much scope. Intended use is 300-900yd steel shooting.

Thoughts on the topic?

i think we are over the too much scope argument, unless fov, size and weight are a priority.
more magnification can help in many ways, reading wind, spotting for others...and can be dialed down.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
A 3x18 or bushy DMR would be a great option at those distances.

I regularly shoot at a mile with a Henny 4x16, a smaller package scope with a bit less power doesn’t seriously hurt beyond 1000 capabilities.

Reactions: FA Duk
Most find themselves between 12x-20x in match settings and only use the higher magnification when required. Small targets or shooting 100yds zero etc. On that set up I'd go with something that has a smaller overall profile like a 4-16 ATACR or on the low end Bushnell DMR PRO. A good holdover reticle would be my preference on a gas gun.

Most find themselves between 12x-20x in match settings and only use the higher magnification when required. Small targets or shooting 100yds zero etc. On that set up I'd go with something that has a smaller overall profile like a 4-16 ATACR or on the low end Bushnell DMR PRO. A good holdover reticle would be my preference on a gas gun.

Similar to my current line of thought ... including the 4-16 ATACR w/a Christmas tree reticle

Last edited:
I’ve taken the stance that anything I’m hunting with is going to be a 25X at a minimum unless I’m trying to keep the rifle fast and light. Where I hunt in KS, my riflescope doubles as a spotter. I have a couple of spots where I’m keeping an eye on 1/2 to 3/4’s of a mile in any direction. I’m not going to shoot that far but if coat rack steps out, I damn sure want to know it and move to a safe and responsible shooting position and distance.

You can always turn a scope down.

I went with a sig tango 6 3-18 for my 20” 6.5 ar-10. For my light weight 18” 308 ar-10 I have a leupold LRP 4.5-14. If your just shooting steel you might add a heavy scope with as much magnification as you want. It will help you control the ar platform.

Scopes are like muscle cars, there is never too much power!!!

Ever heard of a thing called mirage???
Yeah, usually you find yourself not wanting to go into the top end of the magnification as more mag won't help.

Ever heard of a thing called FOV?
Yeah, usually it's a good idea to have a generous amount of it although not necessary. It does help when you dial down on mag for increased FOV, this helps spotting for yourself during recoil.

OP, I don't think that's too much scope for your rifle. You may find it works out great for you. However, don't discount lowered powered scopes as they could sometimes be even better. A really high mag scope with decent glass might not provide as great of a viewing experience when behind it if compared to lower mag scope with high quality glass. The only way for you to know would be to try.

Configuring an AR10 .308 w/ a 20” barrel and thinking a 5-25x56 may be too much scope. Intended use is 300-900yd steel shooting.

Thoughts on the topic?

Why would you think it’s too much? Are you really asking if the trade off in terms of size, weight and cost of a 5-25 is worth it over something like a 3-12 or 4-16?

You are using it for static steel shooting, presumably from a bench or prone after taking it from the truck and before returning it to the truck, right?

If so, and money is no object, buy the 5-25 all day over the lower mag options.

Use what works best for you. Higher magnification on poor quality glass isn't helping.

Use what works best for you. Higher magnification on poor quality glass isn't helping.

Just curious as to why do you think @FA Duk is considering a scope with poor quality glass?

Performance at max magnification is perfectly fine with most modern mid tier and alpha scopes.

Just curious as to why do you think @FA Duk is considering a scope with poor quality glass?

Performance at max magnification is perfectly fine with most modern mid tier and alpha scopes.
Didn't say he was. Are you saying he is looking at only modern mid tier and alpha scopes? I didn't catch that part in the original post.

Didn't say he was. Are you saying he is looking at only modern mid tier and alpha scopes? I didn't catch that part in the original post.

In post #6, he mentions considering the 4-16 ATACR so figured he would be also looking at similar or better scopes with 25x or so.

No worries, I’m sure he’ll end up with something decent that meets his needs. ATACR, SB, Vortex, Minox, Leupold (to some extent) would all fit the bill.

Who cares? Use what you want.
I tend to agree with spife, the best scope for you is the one you choose. My preference on gas guns is for ultra shorts, but that's more of an aesthetics issue, I am not a "big" scope fan anyway so usually looking for shorter and lighter. The ZCO ZC420 is one of my favorites, but I sold all my large frame AR's so I don't necessarily need it, for my small frame AR, the new March 1.5-15x42 is an interesting option but SFP has it's limitations. Is a 5-25 the "best" scope for your AR, only you can make the decision, but if all I had was a 5-25 and I knew I'd be shooting long range with my AR, I would not hesitate to use it, there is nothing that says you can't use a high magnification optic on any particular platform unless you are competing and there are rules restricting such.

@FA Duk there's nothing wrong with using the 5-25 unless you want to save some weight and/or a shorter scope for your AR.
For gas guns I prefer mid magnification scopes that are a little smaller like the Zero Compromise ZC420, Kahles K318i 3.5-18 or a Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42. Outside of zeroing and shooting smaller groups I typically shoot 12-15 power.

I recently went through this when looking for a new scope for my RPR .308. I was deciding between the razor 4.5-27 and the atacr 4-16. Considering both Scopes were a similar price here in Oz, even though the razor was a slight overkill for my type of shooting it was definitely nice having the extra mag for sighting it in and shooting group's. Most of the time I'm on 10x but it's handy to know I've got the extra mag if I ever need it.

I originally scoped my LMT MWS with a S&B 5-25 PMII.

It was going to be my only precision rifle. My one go to rifle. The only rifle I would own. The rifle to end all rifles.

It never gave me the accuracy I wanted ( likely operator error more than gear ) and I found the accuracy I sought in bolt guns.

I down graded the MWS to a USO 1-8X.

Liking it better for the weight loss and it's able to do to steel what I can't get it to do on paper.

Im planning on putting the S&B on a wood stocked .308 R700 with a short barrel. A situation some would call "overscoping".

Great discussion for me ... I’m still on the fence but believe I have the basis points to compare and make a decision. The glass quality and reticle is perhaps the highest on my list and S&B vs NF fit that category. Weight is a concern so Vortex may be out but the price point and customer service is great. Field of view is important and I’ll be evaluating first hand. As I have a Razor 27-60x85 spotting scope W/mil loop, I’m not overly concerned on spotting for sight-in. Reticle consistency is extremely important for me as I don’t want to change from my other PRs (bolt actions w/S&B 5-25 H59s). Thought is to stay consistent and truly learn and use the same system and technique throughout my shooting. Lastly, aesthetics/ergonomics will play a role. Don’t want the mass of the rifle to be outdone by the scope or better stated the mass of the scope to dictate the use of the gun.