• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Over/Under really hard to break. Please help!

Catcher19

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2012
Hey y'all, first time poster here. I recently inherited a Beretta Silver Snipe over/under 20 gauge from my father after he passed away. I have hunted with this gun ever since I was a teenager and its been a dream. It was made in 1964 and is in immaculate condition.

However, recently when I fire a shell, whether it be top or bottom, it becomes very difficult to break open and continues to get more difficult after several rounds. It doesn't do it before you fire the shells, or when the barrels are empty. I took it to a gunsmith and had them clean it very thoroughly and told them of the problem and they said to have it cleaned first to see if that helped... well it didn't. Also, the firing pins aren't dragging the casings after the shells are fired. I looked into that being a cause.

Any experts out there have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Re: Over/Under really hard to break. Please help!

did you ever check the etractor that lies on in between the two barrles. When you break the gun the shells should come out just enough for you to get them and pull them out. But it sounds like to me that that etractor is being push against the back of the gun when you fire it. ( i had a side by side to do the same problem) but all i did was clean the crap out of it and and put a little hoppies #9 on etractor, kept open and closing it and then i fired it a few times and then cleaned it and put a LITTEL more hoppies on it and it fix the problem. I hope this helps.

Might be something is binding in the cocking mechanism. When you open it, a lever for each barrel recocks the hammer(s). If a pin in that lever breaks, the cocking lever will bind. You need a gunsmith that is familiar with doubles.

if it has ejectors, when you break it open after firing you're re-cocking the ejector hammers in the forend. Never hurts to apply a small amount of grease on the engagement surfaces as well

I would lube it up a little on the ejectors, there also may be a hinge tension screw in the forend. the newer berettas have that to adjust how hard they are to open

Firing pins may not be retracting. Are there drag marks on the primers of the fired shells?
Also do a strip and clean. You do not want to gall the metal surfaces.
RTH

A big cause of this is excess pressure. Just like a rifle too much pressure can seize up the action of the firearm. If it happens consistently I would have a good shotgun smith check to make sure there isn't excess wear and tear on the hing pin and other related surfaces. I have a side by side that has become far past worn but I still manage to use it by shooting reduced pressure rounds loaded to 19 century pressure standards. Shoots great now and I am planning on having it recolor case hardened when I get home. I wont get to see the final result till next R&R but it should be worth it. Try some feather light loads and if the problems becomes less pronounced or goes away you will know that pressure management in the shotgun is it's problem.