• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Over Under Shotgun

Like @Charlie112 I've been watching for awhile. I would suggest, that in the price range the OP suggested there are decent new guns available but no good guns. New good guns start in the mid teens. The countries of origin for the good guns are Japan and Italy. Where the good buys lie is the used market. It seems having owned something imparts a level of expertise. So, before I go on, I have owned several Charles Daly guns, a handful of Browning Superposed guns, SKB guns, two small gauge 687EL Berettas, a Zoli Z gun, a BL Beretta, a few Browning Citoris, a Win.101 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I will interject a caution here and that is factory support. Kodensha, Miroku, and SKB were the three major manufacturers in Japan. Only Miroku continues to exist. Of the various trade names (like Charles Daly) the current manufacture is for Browning and Winchester. Kodensha built the 101, Nikko, Golden Eagle and probably some others. Kodensha also built the Parker Repros. Kodensha left this world somewhere around 2010. SKB built for Weatherby, themselves, Ithaca and maybe others. The SKB factory is also long gone. That leaves Miroku and the Browning Citoris.

There are actually a bunch of very good Italian makers. Gamba, Beretta, Zoli, the Rizzini guns, etc. and of course Fabbri. Beretta stands out because the 68? series guns have been in production for a long time. There are plenty of guns out there in the used market and they are still supported by the factory. The BL-? series guns started around the mid sixties and have been out of production since the early seventies. So that leaves Beretta 68?.

Landing on just the 68?s and the Citoris is vast over simplification. What it does is answer the question of the OP, and anyone else with a similar question, as regards an under $1K shotgun of good quality, decent dynamics and factory support. If you look with diligence you can find a bunch of O/U Citoris and 68?s in that price range. This is an approach on getting into a "good" gun without becoming enmeshed in the nerdiness of the shotgun world.

Another caution is that some of these guns pre-date steel shot. To find one of these guns under the $1K lid you will probably be looking at something with a fair amount of wear. Honest use but good maintenance is OK. Neglect or a beater is not. Find somebody that is something of a shotgun geek to teach you what to look for. A lot of older guns fit the "carried a lot shot a little" category. On the other hand some comp guns will appear in excellent condition but the mechanics can be heavily worn. I'm sure youtube has some instructive videos.

If you are willing to consider the Kodensha, Miroku or SKB guns that are unsupported the field becomes much wider. There is currently a Charles Daly Miroku on Gunbroker or AuctionArms that appears to be in pretty high condition. Sellers opening bid is $799. and the buy it now is $899. Sounds like a good deal.

Update on choke tube issue. CZ wants to start with the easy route and I can’t say I blame them. They are sending me a new set of chokes to see if that might be the issue. If not, then it will be returned to them for a looksy.

Reactions: Charlie112
I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. I was looking for a Franchi U/O in 20g, new or used. I didn't find one, but I ran across a Benelli Montefeltro in 20g at cabelas (looked new) for a good price. It knocks peasants down quite well.

Mike

peasants, pheasants,,,,,.38,.39, what ever it takes

Mike

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
CZ wasn’t messing around, new chokes showed up today. Perfect fit on both barrels and all 5 chokes. Guess time will tell on the rest of the gun. Will start putting rounds through it.
3FBBCD09-80F7-4CF1-9D9C-E6DA3D9FE3A9.jpeg

@Stoweit

will do some updates as I shoot.

CZ makes a 28 gauge in the upland series about not in the all terrain series. Guess you could always just have it sent out for cerakote.

Reactions: Stoweit
Small update. Took the CZ out yesterday and shot 2-1/2 boxes of shells through it. I like the way it shoots, and it functions pretty smooth. I like some functions of the shotgun.
The magnetic chambers are neat, can hold in any direction with breach open and shells don’t fall out. Independent ejectors are nice as well. Makes reloading singles nice and smooth.
The fact it doesn’t automatically go to safe when the breach is opened is nice. My other O/U goes to safe so can get caught offhand in the dove field.
More updates as it continues to get use. Maybe take it to the squirrel woods soon and get some meat with it.
59C623EF-6B4D-479B-BE1C-A699973EFDB1.jpeg

Looking for advice as I do internet research. Not many threads on here that I could find, but I did read the ones I found.

I have a few shotguns, none that I really like shooting clays with (except my youngest’s 410), and want an over/under to fill that nitch. I have a bolt action and a pump Win97 that has been converted to a trench gun. Neither do it for that purpose. I have an over/under in 12 gauge, but it is a super cheap no choke gun left to me by my wife’s grandfather. I want a new O/U in 20 gauge that will be reliable. I’m looking to spend about a grand, used is ok as well. I don’t want a dedicated trap/skeet gun, so the uber pretty ones need not apply. This gun will see use in hunting applications as well. I like the O\U setup and look so that is the only style I’m interested in. Tell me what you think is a good choice

edit: I have seen quite a few CZ variants. They make decent rifles, but I have never used their shotguns. Any users here have experience?
Would recommend a cz as well or franchi will be getting a swamp magnum cz