• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Overgassed or is it

Top O' Texas

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2023
Texas
What exactly is being overgassed! Bolt cycling to fast or just popping primers/extractor/ejector marks? If the buffer, spring and gas block are working as supposed to be then is it all about gas port size? Going off of 3 AR10's (6.5creed in faxon and criterion and 1 in 243win bear creek) that all are rifle length gas (12.7") and all the require something different for recoil systems. While I haven't checked port size against 2 Aero Precision 6.5creed barrel (that work well with standard weight carbine buffer, spring and a non-agb) that port size matters a ton! Why do these companies turn out barrels that don't work with standard weight recoil parts! Those 3 mentioned blow primers badly and have ruined many firing pins (steel and titanium). All 3 won't tune even with an agb and they do have the correct gas tube length. When I get time I'll pull the gb off and check port size against what works. The cbi barrel is a very accurate barrel, but stopped due to primers blowing. The same ammo in the AP barrels don't pop, so there's no issue with the hornady match 123sst/a-max ammo. Does anyone know what their port size is per barrels from the same or different companies? AP list their port size per system lengths and cartridges. I haven't checked throat differences per chamber either. Maybe just enough difference to cause issues?

Part of why rifle +1",+2" and +3" have become common in AR10 based chamberings.
Well, +2 on a 6.5creed (proof) didn't help and on a 260rem (proof) also. I wad hoping the + gas would help, but still not the answer ad much as stacking weight behind the bcg. I dohope it helps short mags! Maybe not so much as adding length to the gas, but bringing the muzzle closer (ie, shorter barrel).

An adjustable gas block remedies the port size problem. It is the only problem this item can solve even though others seem to think they can do more.

If a proof plus 2 barrel with an adjustable gasblock to tune the port flow isn’t working for you, then either your bolt isn’t headspaced correctly or you are running something funky instead of a H3 or a LR308 rifle buffer with a LR 308 rifle spring.

An adjustable gas block remedies the port size problem. It is the only problem this item can solve even though others seem to think they can do more.
Another thing most people overlook is that and AGB changes gas volume. It can not change gas pressure. Only a longer gas system changes pressure, and in another direction as OP says, you can reduce dwell time too to get a similar effect. But that's not tunable and can be a knife edge difference between functioning and being a single shot with no in between.

The proof barrels I have are in 22 and 24" lengths w/+2. There are in 260rem. Although the 260 holds more gas it runs on less horsepower. Both should (depending on port size, which I haven't checked) could be a different size than the 6.5creed? Apparently, less pressure doesn't mean less issues. Besides the AP barrels I run agb on all non-308win barrels, because all need them. Interesting article, but no real conclusion based on numbers produced if any failed or exploded

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
6.5 creedmore has a drastically different pressure profile(graph) vs 260 rem(same barrel length and gas system). Doesn't seem likely but it's true.

Reactions: Top O' Texas