• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Overpressure Issues .308

arkansashntr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Hot Springs, AR
I am having over pressure signs with my 5R .308 with an 18" barrel using a YHM Phantom Ti Suppressor. I'm using Winchester brass and 168 gr Amax loaded with 43.5 Varget. I have backed all the way down to the lowest powder charge in my hornady book and still get pressure signs with 32.6 grs of Varget.

I am thinking the brass is the reason unless you all think it could be something else? Just for grins i bought some factory winchester 150 gr power points and still got the pressure signs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

what pressure signs are you getting? If you are getting it from factory ammo then you may want to have a smith check the chamber. Can you post some pics of the pressure issues you are having?

Sorry rifle is a 700 5r Milspec. Barrel was 24" had a gunsmith cut and thread barrel to 18". Issue is extruding primer. I will post a picture when I get home.

Remingtons are pretty known for showing primer cratering. You can't use that as your only indicator. My spare cratered everything I put in it. The edges were still round though and not at all flattened.

Top to bottom grains of varget. All primers showed the same signs. I'm wondering if it's just my gun and not an overpressure issue.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 44
Tough for me to see any detail but the one thing I can see if the primer cratering and that’s about what mine look like out of an unbushed bolt. If the edges of the primers are still rounded and I f you don’t see any round marks from the ejector then I would say it’s a false sign and due to the chamfer and generous space around the firing pin.

Those are not pressure signs. Look at your firing pin hole. The primer is going to flow and confirm into that dish like lead flows into a mold. Pressure gonna show itself as ejector marks and or heavy bolt lift with sticky extraction. I load 46grs of Varget in that brass under that bullet.

Lots of Remington's do that. It's not an over-pressure indicator. IME, for most scenarios, if you are getting ejector marks then you are at max.