• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Overpressure sign?

TeaRex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2013
Denver, CO
photo-1 copy 3.jpgphoto-1 copy 4.jpgI'm new to reloading - 500 rounds in so far. I have been loading exclusively for my Remington 700 SPS 30-06 with a set of Lee neck sizing dies, loading 50.6gr of IMR 4064 into Fed brass bedinh 168 gr Hornady Match BTHP bullets. I weight every load individually on a scale, so I am confident in the powder charge. After my most recent range outing, I noticed that my primers seemed flattened more than usual. I have never seen a cut and dried case of overpressure - what do you guys think?

FYI - my LEE manual says that 50.8 gr is the max load for this bullet / powder. Primers are Win Large Rifle.View attachment 8816View attachment 8817

I agree, ambient temp is probably the difference. Having said that, it doesn't look like over pressure. In fact, that's what all my spent primers look like. Over pressure causes the primer to completely fill the pocket. Yours look fine.

Good eye! My primers are usually a little flatter yet, by choice. Tip, ammo kept in a range bag on a hot day will stay considerably cooler than ammo baked in the sun, and it happens fast.

Measure the web area of the case for expansion? How did the bolt lift? Ejector marks on the face of the case head? You can have pressure and no tell tale signs from the primer. Don't just base weather or not you have high pressure based on how the primer looks weather it's flat or not. There is more to it than just that.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Yep, it was about 95 out last weekend, probably 20-30 degrees warmer.

Bingo, winner winner winner. Might want to switch to a Hodgdon powder as they are a lot less temperature sensitive.

Bingo, winner winner winner. Might want to switch to a Hodgdon powder as they are a lot less temperature sensitive.

Thanks for all the responses. No marks on the bolt face or heavy bolt lift. I have been trying to get some H4350 or Varget, just like every other reloader in the world. So far, I'm stuck with IMR 4064, unless you guys can help me find some 4350/varget. I've been checking 3rd gen shooting, midsouth, and Powder valley a few times a day to see if they ever get any in stock. So far, no luck.

I would recommend finding somewhere that will let you back order your powder. I just got 8 lbs of H4350 I back ordered from brownells about a month ago.

I agree with Rookie, all my primers look like yours. I was a little leery of pressure too but I had no other symptoms. Too bad you're so far I have 4 pounds of 4350 I have no use for.