• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oversized bolt knobs

Pwoens

1:16
Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2013
    What’s your favorite oversized bolt knob?

took my new bolt rifle out and LOVED it! The existing HS Precision knob is just too small after running 100 rounds through it. I’ve got the tools and know-how to cut/thread and looking for a good thread on bolt knob upgrade?

fwiw - my rifle is a tank so I don’t care about weight at this point

The area419 bolt knobs seem pretty sweet. I haven't tried them specifically, but they seem like they'd be perfect

Reactions: Pwoens
    I like the APA bolt knobs, and the Area 419 have a very unique look. I would think that bolt is already threaded, but I do not have one or know much about their actions. There is also an adapter you can get where instead of threading the bolt handle, you drill and tap a hole in the handle for an adapter. It is the route I went with as it is easier, but it will require a but of contouring work.

I put the great big tacticool looking knob on my Origin. Looks awesome. Looks a lot better than my thumb knuckle when I run it in a hurry and mash it over the meat grinder that Burris calls a power ring on my XTRII. I usually just run it on the bench single feed, but I'll eventually put a smaller knob on it. I think the correct technique is to run the bolt more with your palm, which would do a better job keeping the hide on your knuckle, but old habits die hard.
    That said, as far as looks, I always liked the Badger the most, but have never run one.

I have something of a bolt knob fetish, and in all honesty, I like the Glades Armory 1.75" knurled knob the best from a function/feel perspective.

I'm running a "Dragon Scale" bolt knob on my Tikka and it is phenomenal. I have the longer version in black.

Most of the upgraded bolt knobs seem to be trying to hard, IMHO. I like simple (the Savage tactical knob or something like what comes on the RPR).
    YMMV

I keep thinking about getting a 419 handle , I need to send my bolt to LRI first

I've been liking the Area 419 knob. It has a good index point for cocking/opening the bolt almost the same way every time.

Reactions: Pwoens and Epsilon
    Anyone got a pic of the Zermatt Comp on a Remington 700?

As JayHawk mentioned, I believe most many try too hard for something that’s a simple tool. To my way of thinking, Accuracy International has the right idea for bolt knobs. Big, round, easy to grab and cycle without friction. Though if you have a gun with a super easy bolt lift, the ARC barbell bolt knob seems like a good idea. I’ve been thinking about giving it a run.

I'm a big fan of the area 419, I run them on everything now.

Attachments

• 20191130_204650.jpg
      20191130_204650.jpg
      222 KB · Views: 170
    I'm a big fan of the area 419, I run them on everything now.

curious why you like that design? Truly an inquisitive inquiry on my part because I have no experience whatsoever and the design has me intrigued.

I am personally trying to solve for a bolt that feels a little stiff when lifting and the knob is quite small so my hand came off of it too easy when operating.

Badger on most of my guns, but made a few when I had my lathe that were ok.

curious why you like that design? Truly an inquisitive inquiry on my part because I have no experience whatsoever and the design has me intrigued.

I am personally trying to solve for a bolt that feels a little stiff when lifting and the knob is quite small so my hand came off of it too easy when operating.

The issue i was having when running a bolt fast was my hand would slip off occasionally, with the large center groove on the area 419 it gives me a place to grip and eliminates slipping.
    Hopefully that makes sense, You might have to just get one and check it out for yourself.

The barbell style allows you to work the bolt the same way every time. Your hand just rides in the groove. It looks funny but it just plain works.

Reactions: Vandoogle13
    Didn't know the barbell style existed. I came up with my own design because I needed a project. I wanted something to push up against to unlock the bolt like a flange, but also have a round knob because I like how they feel.
    IMG_20201023_145616.jpg