• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Owned a Kahles or have Opinion? Please Help!

Koshy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
Canadia!
So I was looking into a Kahles and their Competition KA418 (4-18x50) . I was wondering what people felt about Kahles? Have you had positive experiences with it? Negative? What is the glass quality like? What are the turrets like? What is their "zerostop" system like (easy/hard/good/bad)? Does it take a beating? Ever had problems with it? Tracking good?

If you can answer any/all of these it would be of great service to me! I mean they are half the price of a Schmidt and Bender or a Nightforce. Yet they have been innovative over the years, and are the oldest Optics company still around in the world today. They make their Scopes out of Austria and haven't exported to China or somewhere. So is their quality just not that good and is why they are so "cheap" or are they just reasonably priced even though they have years behind them? I would think they make quality scopes to still be around over 100 years later?

Anyway, again any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
- Adam

Re: Owned a Kahles or have Opinion? Please Help!

Never looked through a Kahles that didn't have FANTASTIC glass.

Haven't gotten to run any newer models so can't speak to their ergonomics but the glass itself.......SUWEEEET..

There is a recent comparison test somewhere here on the hide and I believe their newest model was one of the top finishers among all the top tier glass.

JM2C

By the way their military/police higher end optics are priced more in line with S&B, Nightforce etc..

You may be comparing pricing for their "hunting" grade scopes which do seem to be priced less and accordingly may not be comparable to their top-end stuff.

Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way their military/police higher end optics are priced more in line with S&B, Nightforce etc..

You may be comparing pricing for their "hunting" grade scopes which do seem to be priced less and accordingly may not be comparable to their top-end stuff.

Just a thought. </div></div>

I thought it cost more because of the coloured reticle? :p

Go to CDNN Investments. They have a Kahles Scope blow out with great prices.

I've owned two of the CL model scopes (the 50mm & 52mm front objective versions) and both were outstanding for my applications (hunting). The glass was exceptional in both but really stood out in the 52mm model, rivaling a 56mm Zeiss Victory Diavari 3-12x scope I had on another rifle at the time. Adjustments & reliability were perfect with both scopes I owned. I sold each of them to help fund other purchases and to pay some bills but I'd buy again given the finances, need, and opportunity.

One thing I would keep in mind is, should you have any warranty issues, you'll be sending the scope back to Austria. There isn't a North American distributor or warranty servicer stateside anymore...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing I would keep in mind is, should you have any warranty issues, you'll be sending the scope back to Austria. There isn't a North American distributor or warranty servicer stateside anymore... </div></div>

+1, something to keep in mind. Since Swarovski first took them under their umbrella, the glass on the Kahles is top notch. The mechanics are a little quirky and maybe over-engineered in some cases, but they are excellent hunting scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing I would keep in mind is, should you have any warranty issues, you'll be sending the scope back to Austria. There isn't a North American distributor or warranty servicer stateside anymore... </div></div>

+1, something to keep in mind. Since Swarovski first took them under their umbrella, the glass on the Kahles is top notch. The mechanics are a little quirky and maybe over-engineered in some cases, but they are excellent hunting scopes. </div></div>

How do you think they would hold up for Target Shooting, up to 1000 yards?

Their glass is the best I have seen period, at least to my eye, I currenlty own 5. I have owned NF, SNB, Swaro, Zeis,Leupy. there glass takes the cake. I wish I could find one with exposed target turrets, to which do you refer that is half the cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their glass is the best I have seen period, at least to my eye, I currenlty own 5. I have owned NF, SNB, Swaro, Zeis,Leupy. there glass takes the cake. I wish I could find one with exposed target turrets, to which do you refer that is half the cost? </div></div>

Okay, so maybe I am crazy... that or I just ran across a deal at some point, I could have sworn I saw a Kahles Comp 418 for $1000, I guess I was just crazy cus it is about $2,000. Sorry if I caused any confusion, hopefully I don't look like too much of an idiot :p

Anyway
shocked.gif

You found the glass better than S&B? Seriously? Wow that is truly amazing.

Few questions before that though to alli you Kahles owners:
1. Have you had positive experiences with t? Negative?
2. What are the turrets like (large? easy to manipulate? obvious how much it is moving when you are "dialing in", via clicking or otherwise?)?
3. What is their "zerostop" system like (easy/hard/good/bad)?
4. Does it take a beating?
5. Ever had problems with it?
6. Tracking above average?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

+1, something to keep in mind. Since Swarovski first took them under their umbrella, the glass on the Kahles is top notch. The mechanics are a little quirky and maybe over-engineered in some cases, but they are excellent hunting scopes. </div></div>

From my understanding Zeiss aquired them recently.

Thanks,
- Koshy

Yes to my eye the filters/glass they use provides better contrast and collects more light at dawn and dusk, remember each eye and person is different. I would scarf a Kahles in a second with Tac turrets, if in .1mrad or 1/4moa with mill or moa for that matter.

Have owned Kahles for several years. I have a 3X9 multizero. Quality of glass is outstanding. Multizero works well once you learn how to use it.
I recently looked at the target scopes for a longrange rifle I just had built and almost purchased the Kahles but didn't for a couple of reasons:
The amount or adjustment on the elevation is way too small for practical purposes and the horizontals in the lens just didn't work for really long shooting applications.
The other issue is that Kahles (last I checked anyway), didn't have a U.S. distributorship set up. Legacy Sports dropped them a couple of years ago and as far as I know, no one has picked them up yet. I was actually working through their only U.S. rep in New England (I have his POC info if you want it.)
Prices are pretty low as most distributors are dumping their stocks of the scopes. You also find that once gone, they can't get replacement stock.
GREAT scope as far as quality and optics in my opinion, but they are not marketed well or designed for the American shooter.
I ended up purchasing a Premier Reticles scope for my rifle at over twice the cost but at least it was what I wanted and I know I can get it serviced if I have a problem. Hope this helped.

I've had the chance to shoot several that STRICK9 owns and dammit if they aren't some of the absolute nicest glass I've ever looked through.

I do see the downside being that tactical/target turrets don't seem to be available.

Thanks to all for their input!

My experience with Kahles has been limited to their 6x ZF84 models (1" steel tube military model) with a exposed BDC for .308 out to 800 meters. The quality of the glass is excellent! I compared it to another fixed power scope in moonlight(10x leupold MK4 M3)& the kahles won hands down for clarity.

This is a bit of a bump, but I recently purchased a Kalhes K418 Competition Scope with target turrets. It should be inbound next week!!

Forgot to chime in!!!

I'm out of the country but I'm told the scope is amazing!!! My brother could see a picture handging in someone's apartment over 1km away... in the dark!!!

the K312 looks great. has anyone handled one? 34mm tube, large turets. Do they make a K418 in the same style? if not, why the hell not!
img-hunters.jpg

I picked up a K312 a couple weeks ago. Needless to say the glass is spectacular. I'm waiting for my build to be completed, so have not shot with it yet. The wind/elev. clicks are solid and defined. 1/8 MOA adjustments at 16" per turn with nearly 8'@100yrds adjustment range. SO far, so good. The reticle (4D) is unique: subtension is 3" range between stadia (@100yds). Don't know why they're not competing in the Mil/Mil arena, but they're revamping their distribution as I understand, so maybe something contending in the future.
Thanks nickorette....

I once had a ZF69 on a SSG69 in the mid-80's. As I recall, it provided brilliant clarity--much better than my Leupold (mark4) or Baush & Lomb tactical (10x40. It was limited by the choice of cams (it was designed for 7.62 Nato to 800 meters). I was impressed with its manufacture, anti-reflective coating, and ease of use.