• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Owning just ONE "Precision" setup. Is 6.5 PRC worth the squeeze over CM??

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
"Just ONE??!??"

Yeah. Just one.
Mostly because I can barely justify one.
Quick background... I deer hunted all throughout my youth, but stopped when I got about 20. I do 3-Gun stuff on occasion.
I haven't hunted anything larger than squirrels in over 25yrs. Just don't have the desire. On the odd chance I take up whitetail again, I have a 336,and a mid 70s 700. So hunting is covered. Also, should I decide to use the new rig, either round will suffice.
I won't be entering any long range competitions, or "May be going on an Elk Hunt", I just don't see that happening.
However, I likely will be moving to a part of the country where longer shots are a possibility.
I also plan to take up reloading on a limited scale at some point,but highly suspect I'll be shooting shelf ammo.

I've looked at all the threads, and have mulled this around for the better part of 2yrs. Now I'm down to it, and the 6.5 Prc/CM is where I've landed.

So, given all the above....

One would argue CM since I don't plan on shooting that much, no larger game, ammo availability, bbl life, less recoil, ect.

My argument to myself is, "Well, if you're not shooting that much, why not go for more horsepower? Barrel life is kind of moot since it would likely take me 20yrs to burn this one out assuming it lasts 1,400 rounds"

Another concern.
6.5 CM is established, and here to stay. I honestly see more CM options at stores than 270, and 308 (well, earlier this year, anyhow)
So, is PRC here to stay? Will I find ammo for it in 2035, or is it the next 280?

Given your discussion, there doesn’t seem to be a need for the PRC, and it May actually be a disadvantage.

The two main advantages of the PRC are either longer shots past a mile or greater retained energy on impact for hunting.

The added recoil and greater cost of ammo and lower availability of ammo for the PRC seem to rule it out for your stated purposes.

That said, If you’re going to shoot suppressed, a big heavy can will mitigate some or even most of the recoil difference.

Creedmoor. No question. If you want more horsepower, it is your money. PRC will be harder to shoot and cost more for ammo. No reason in my mind to make the jump from the creedmoor. If you end up wanting to shoot further, you can run lathe turned solids in the creedmoor and shoot a damn long ways. If you truly only shoot 200 rds a year you are going to have a long learning curve to shooting at distances where the prc is a noticeable advantage over the creedmoor.

I'm in a similar boat and decided on creed. The lighter recoiling rifle will be more fun to shoot, easier to improve on, and hits plenty hard at any distance I'd consider taking a hunting shot at. If you don't need the horsepower, isn't it just more discomfort (potentially building bad habits) and higher cost to make a touch more noise?

Hadn't even considered lathe turned solids before... will have to dig into that. Thanks!

For everything you said, Creedmoor is the smartest choice. Especially with sticking to factory ammunition (at least for now).

If you do get in to reloading, the Creedmoor can really begin to make gains as well. I am running 124g Hammer Hunters at 2900fps out of a 20" barrel. Even at 0' elevation, that's effective on deer-sized game at 600 yards.

The 6.5 prc is pretty damn good. Not a ton more recoil than a creedmoor, and pushes a 147 eld or 150 smk 200-300 FPS faster. I’d say go for it now that lapua makes brass.
You aren’t competing so who cares about recoil. You don’t shoot much so barrel life and ammo cost isn’t a concern. Do it!

I put the brakes on a 6.5 PRC build simply because of ammo and reloading component shortages.

6.5 Creedmoor is plentiful.

Even some of the short mags are easy to find ammo for. Which 6.5 PRC basically is.