• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors P220 vs 1911. Better platform for supression?

Alderleet

NCOIC of Shitposts
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Downrange
Exactly as my title says, I'm torn between a new 1911 or a P220.

The reason is i bought a new SilencerCo Osprey 45 can, and it needs a home.

I'm just not sure which platform is better for suppression.

Re: P220 vs 1911. Better platform for supression?

They both perform well . I use an SWR HEMS2 . I have a SIG 220 Tactical TB (threaded from the factory) , and SA TRP Operator , with a Jarvis barrel . To me , they both sound the same ... Its up to you , if you like single- or double-action . I've shot 1911s for fun for 30 years , but no doubt there are a lot of choices out there now . There are no 1911s threaded from the factory that I'm aware of , yet , besides SIG , there's FN and H&K , and possibly Beretta , Taurus , and Smith and Wesson ... For barrels , there's Jarvis , Storm Lake , Fire Dragon , and custom threading ...

I agree the sound performance is about the same. I have a P220 with a Jarvis barrel and two 1911s - SA and a Kimber - with Jarvis barrels. They all perform and sound the same with an Osprey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dragoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...There are no 1911s threaded from the factory that I'm aware of , yet ... </div></div>

It's almost $2900 and not sure if it's considered factory or full custom, but Nighthawk Tactical does offer a threaded 1911 that they call the Advanced Armament Corperation pistol.

http://www.nighthawktactical.com/Advanced-Armament-Pistol.html

JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the 220 more of a compact model? The 226 being full size...

I guess you'd have to ask yourself if you want SA suppressed or SA/DA suppressed...or buy both!
wink.gif
</div></div>

The P220 and P226 are both full size models, there is a P220 compact model as well.

Noise should be equal...being closed breech/barrel without the gap of revolvers. Balance might be better with the heavier frame of the 1911. JMHO

I would think they are the same. Different thread patterns. But a Polymer framed pistol should be quieter than a steel/metal framed pistol, Well at least from the operators standpoint.

As far as a quiet shooting pistol you cant beet the HK USP Tactical. It is noticably quiter than my 1911 or glock 21. I havent shot the 220 supressed though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Noise should be equal...being closed breech/barrel without the gap of revolvers. Balance might be better with the heavier frame of the 1911. JMHO </div></div>

If you assume all pistols with sound suppressors sound equal because they have a close breech, you haven't shot a lot of suppressed handguns because that isn't the case. Barrel length and lock time can make a big difference to the sound at the shooter's location.

Also, the Osprey is fairly light-weight with its balance point more toward the rear of the suppressor. And the P220 isn't exactly a light-weight pistol. That particular suppressor on those two hosts balance and feel pretty close.

Osprey on my P220:
osprey45Large.jpg

ospreyOnSigLarge.jpg

Sights on both platforms are right at the top or just slightly over the suppressor body.
p220SightLarge.jpg

Index the suppressor with the cam lock on the rear.
ospreyLatchClosedLarge.jpg

One of my 1911s:
ospreysLarge.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Calibur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think they are the same. Different thread patterns. But a Polymer framed pistol should be quieter than a steel/metal framed pistol, Well at least from the operators standpoint. </div></div>

Both platforms are available with .578x28 threads.

Why would you think a polymer framed pistol would be quieter?

I agree , if you're the shooter . There's less metallic sound as it cycles . I've noticed this with a Walther P-22 versus the Walther PPK and TPH , as well as the H&K USP Tactical vs. steel frame .45s , and the H&K USP SD vs. SIG 226 and Browning HP . But , I think the ejection-port noise is still loud enough to counter any advantage ...

Thanks for the help everyone. I went for a Sig p220 elite dark, with threaded barrel this afternoon

I vote for the 1911 (I also use an SWR HEMS-2 with mine).

i was torn between a 1911 and a 220

i went with a sig p220r elite single action only. thumbreak saftey and nice factory trigger.

sig makes a 220 that is "suppressor ready" it has a threaded barrel and raised sights.

one thhing to remember is the sig pictured above has a stainless frame not the standard aluminum.

as for the question about the difffrences between a 220 and 226, the only significant diffrence is a 220 is a 45 the 226 is a 9mm they use the same holster.

I bought the supressor ready model this afternoon

220R-Elite-D-TB-detail-Hero1.jpg