• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns P226 Threaded Barrel issues.

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Just figured I would throw this out there and see if anyone else has run across this problem or a different solution. I currently run a 9mm P226 with threaded barrel. The problem I have is 2 fold.

1. If firing with the thread protector on, it will loosen itself and cause horrible, horrible accuracy issues.
2. In order to keep the thread protector on, you basically have to threadlock it and tighten it with a pair of pliers which is pretty un-conducive to function and easy use.

So, solutions? Ive thought of going the electrical tape route but dont know that it will be much better. Or just leaving the protector off all together and dealing with the potential for a buggered up thread.

I'm assuming you have tried degreasing the threads and keeping that area fairly clean of oil. If not, start looking there as I have a stainless barrel that won't keep the thread protector tight if it has much lube on it. Ever have issues when a can is on it?

Are you using the o-ring to engage it? if so some hard finger tight to compress the oring will give you enough tension that it wont come loose after a while the oring will deteriorate and you will have to replace it to keep the seal up. also the stock thread protector is a bit loose look in to after market ones that have a closer tolerance to the threads on the barrel

Threads are degreased but oiled which they should be. The point is that in order to keep it on, it needs to be pliars tight. I keep oil on all my threads to avoid gauling and have never had a problem such as this one.

@Father. There is no o-ring on the P226 thread protector. Probably not a bad thought about an aftermarket protector. Ill take it to my smith next time i am there and have the threads measured cut a new protector to see if that helps.

The oring for a 226 is on the barrel at least mine had an oring on it....and the original thread protector was able to go on either way...one I got form aac only goes on one way and stays locked on for me