• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

P308 Ammo

Rynham9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Enid, OK
Any suggestions for factory 308 for my P308? I really like Black Hills Gold 168 but it is somewhat cost prohibitive for bulk and weekly trips to the range. I'm not s great shooter but want to get better without breaking the bank. Thanks.

All joking aside...start reloading!

Any decent match fodder is going to run you >$1/round these days and it doesn't take long for that cost to add up. While the initial investment in a quality reloading setup, including components such as bullets, powder and primers, can be daunting, but for most people who want to shoot high quality ammo with the utmost accuracy potential for their rifles without breaking the bank...reloading is the ONLY way to go. You can recoup your initial investment in equipment in fairly short order and once you have that investment paid off, all you are out is your cost for components and time to crank out quality ammo in whatever quantities you want/need at any given time.

Aside from reloading...the Federal OTM ammo that Elfster mentioned is pretty good and can be had for <$1/round if you can find it in stock. MidwayUSA and others carry it fairly regularly for ~$180/case (200 rounds) plus S&H which usually gets you to just under $200 for 200.

Also, since you are trying to find the best deals, have a look here at the Gun Deals page for 7.62/308 ammo. gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals As you'll see, they offer user-submitted links to deals on in-stock ammo, which you can sort by bullet weight, cost, etc. If you plug in your zip, it'll give you delivered cost as well.

Good luck!

All joking aside...start reloading!

Any decent match fodder is going to run you >$1/round these days and it doesn't take long for that cost to add up. While the initial investment in a quality reloading setup, including components such as bullets, powder and primers, can be daunting, but for most people who want to shoot high quality ammo with the utmost accuracy potential for their rifles without breaking the bank...reloading is the ONLY way to go. You can recoup your initial investment in equipment in fairly short order and once you have that investment paid off, all you are out is your cost for components and time to crank out quality ammo in whatever quantities you want/need at any given time.

Aside from reloading...the Federal OTM ammo that Elfster mentioned is pretty good and can be had for <$1/round if you can find it in stock. MidwayUSA and others carry it fairly regularly for ~$180/case (200 rounds) plus S&H which usually gets you to just under $200 for 200.

Also, since you are trying to find the best deals, have a look here at the Gun Deals page for 7.62/308 ammo. gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals As you'll see, they offer user-submitted links to deals on in-stock ammo, which you can sort by bullet weight, cost, etc. If you plug in your zip, it'll give you delivered cost as well.

Good luck!

Thanks ORD. A friend of mine has an old RCBS Press that we use but I have been looking into a system of my own. His is great for 20 rounds or so but not very efficient. Any suggestions?

You are going to have to use a single stage press to get the most consistent loads when loading match ammo. Everyone I know uses a single stage for rifles and progressive press for pistols and ar blasting ammo.

You can get all sorts of crazy getting into a progressive press that is setup to really crank out high volumes of match fodder if you have the budget for it, but I personally still load all my precision rifle ammo on a single-stage press. Yes...it is obviously more time-consuming than an uber-fast progressive, but when I load for precision...the time involved is my last consideration as I want my results as tight as possible from start to finish and that's something (and I know people here will disagree) that I personally was never able to achieve as well with a progressive press. Again...personal preference. The trick to getting the most out of any single stage press is to not attempt to load 20 rounds at a go, but rather do your prep work and load on a much larger scale. There are a huge variety of "kits" available for the new reloader to choose from, including those like the RCBS Rock Chucker Master kit which includes everything you need to start reload save dies, brass, primers, powder and pills. They are readily available for <$300 shipped. Redding, Hornady and others have similar kits all around that same price point. I'd start there and decide if you really want to reload and if you really get into it and find that you'll have the time and resources to devote to it...there's always a good progressive setup like a 550B, etc. later down the road, but those come at significantly higher costs than your average single-stage.

I mostly agree with ORD but I have my Rock Chocker set up for trimming so I use my Dillion 550B in this manner for my precision loads. I use the first stage to size and decap While my RCBS ChargeMaster is throwing the powder charge I then remove the round from the Dillon and pour the powder in. I insert the next round into stage one. Then reinsert the round in the third stage while the ChargeMaster is dropping the next load of powder and insert the next round into stage one. I seat the projo with the my micrometer seating die in the third stage while advancing the next rounds to subsequent positions. I use the 4th stage for the Lee Factory Crimp. Sounds complicated but I can do about 75 rounds per hour over the 50 rounds per hour using the single stage Rock Chucker only. So each time I advance the Dillon I am inserting a new case and doing the same procedure so 1 case is always 1 step behind the first.
For pistol rounds and blasting rounds I just use the Dillon 550B

Last edited: