• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

P4Xi??

Badnews454

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2021
New York, United States
I've dug a lot for a forum matching my dilemma, but its awful specific. I'm debating on LPVO's, like every other schmuck. I'm cheap, but the 600-800 range is gonna be the sticker price. I REALLY think I need a 1x-6x for my ar10 lr-308. 1x-8x is crap under $1500 in my opinion. I am thinking a Vortex viper pst gen 2 vs a Hawke frontier 1-6. Now the wrench thrown into my plan, the steiner p4xi. Ive read such good reviews for it, is it really worth stepping down 2x mag? Seriously worried about that 2x for ~500 yard target, and honestly even 100 yard stuff, it feels so low especially for hunting. But, its that good of a scope. Need some guidance. I'm dead set on aeroprecision ultralight for my mount, so I've at least made a choice there.

For under $1000, the Steiner P4xi is hard to beat. It has a daylight bright reticle, a bullet drop compensating reticle, large and more than adequate eyebox on 1x. It is also water proof and has good illumination adjustments. I ran mine on a DD 16” mid length upper this summer at a Vickers course without an issue. It was nearly as quick as an Aimpoint up close mounted in an ADM cantilever mount (with Ti levers). I would not hesitate to buy another.

Only negatives is on 4x it is not as clear to
me as the 1x setting. It still does the job fine. Also, the reticle is meant for a 200 yard zero. This can be fixed by simply recalculating your holds per given MOA drop.

For under $1000, the Steiner P4xi is hard to beat. It has a daylight bright reticle, a bullet drop compensating reticle, large and more than adequate eyebox on 1x. It is also water proof and has good illumination adjustments. I ran mine on a DD 16” mid length upper this summer at a Vickers course without an issue. It was nearly as quick as an Aimpoint up close mounted in an ADM cantilever mount (with Ti levers). I would not hesitate to buy another.

Only negatives is on 4x it is not as clear to
me as the 1x setting. It still does the job fine. Also, the reticle is meant for a 200 yard zero. This can be fixed by simply recalculating your holds per given MOA drop.

I sighted in the rifle with an old scope today that my grandpap had laying around... old weaver 1.5-4.5x v4.5-II from 1981. Drove tacs at 100 yards. Clarity is pretty awful. Probably worst I have used, but its old and the glass clearly has an issue with sealing, probably lost its nitrogen... I think I'll be just fine with 4x... beats the heavy 3-18x50 it had strapped on before, coming in at 27 ounces no mount. Trying to go for a better philosophy of use, and I think the steiner will be the ticket.

Is daylight bright a need? If so the Steiner 1-4 fills that role, others may not. As for the price point consider used options. The exchange has a Vortex Razor 1-6 for $1k as of today.

I sighted in the rifle with an old scope today that my grandpap had laying around... old weaver 1.5-4.5x v4.5-II from 1981. Drove tacs at 100 yards. Clarity is pretty awful. Probably worst I have used, but its old and the glass clearly has an issue with sealing, probably lost its nitrogen... I think I'll be just fine with 4x... beats the heavy 3-18x50 it had strapped on before, coming in at 27 ounces no mount. Trying to go for a better philosophy of use, and I think the steiner will be the ticket.

4x gets the job done on a tactical type rifle < 200 yards in. Again, if you want 6x, that is fine, but the Steiner 1-4x is hard to beat. I will be buying another for an AK.

Update.. I ended up coming across a fantastic deal in my search, I was about to pull the trigger on the steiner and while buying reloading stuff at my local Runnings, I found a leupold vx-5hd 1x5 (they just stopped producing the 1-5 and only have a 1-6). I saw it and the price, couldn't remember how much it was worth, went home. Found it online for anywhere from $880 on ebay, $999 on optics planet, and the msrp on leupolds website was over 1k. Went back and decided to pull the trigger, the firedot with motion sensor is just a great feature. Ive sighted it in and can say I think its got great glass. 1x is so close to true, daylight bright illum. Reticle lacks holdovers, and its in mil but I can get CDS knobs for it. 13.5 ounces, shaved weight like I needed. Picked it up for $519.99. Dont think I missed out on anything at the price. Only complaint is eyebox is a little bit tight on 5x but doesn't cause an issue, once I had it mounted the eyebox didn't seem as bad to deal with on max power. Thanks for the replies everyone, holding out to go in the right direction opened up a good opportunity.

Reactions: Fanon
ILya is about to do a big review on these cheaper LPVO’s and hopefully have some good advice. Follow him on his Locals channel.

Reactions: Badnews454
Ive been looking at the Trijicon Credo line and its looking really good. Its on sale right now to $800 and is made at LOW like the other really nice optics. The only problem I see for the FFP is that they aren't daylight bright. SFP seem to be a lot better but Im having trouble finding more pictures. Back when the P4XI was around 500-600 it was a deal but now they got for atleast 700, I can't see myself getting one.

Ive been looking at the Trijicon Credo line and its looking really good. Its on sale right now to $800 and is made at LOW like the other really nice optics. The only problem I see for the FFP is that they aren't daylight bright. SFP seem to be a lot better but Im having trouble finding more pictures. Back when the P4XI was around 500-600 it was a deal but now they got for atleast 700, I can't see myself getting one.
Steiner P4XI for $600 plus shipping (usually $15).

Our boys at Camera Land NY have it for $649 when you place it in the cart and they still hook up forum members with a small discount or shipping...

I've dug a lot for a forum matching my dilemma, but its awful specific. I'm debating on LPVO's, like every other schmuck. I'm cheap, but the 600-800 range is gonna be the sticker price. I REALLY think I need a 1x-6x for my ar10 lr-308. 1x-8x is crap under $1500 in my opinion. I am thinking a Vortex viper pst gen 2 vs a Hawke frontier 1-6. Now the wrench thrown into my plan, the steiner p4xi. Ive read such good reviews for it, is it really worth stepping down 2x mag? Seriously worried about that 2x for ~500 yard target, and honestly even 100 yard stuff, it feels so low especially for hunting. But, its that good of a scope. Need some guidance. I'm dead set on aeroprecision ultralight for my mount, so I've at least made a choice there.
Some good info in this thread that should help with your decision making. I had a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x for awhile and there are some considerations you might want to take into account when debating whether to put it atop your .308 rifle. First is it has a BDC reticle but that reticle is calibrated for 5.56 so will not match up to your caliber. It can be used with .308 of course by matching reticle subtensions to your exact round using Strelok (or similar program). Secondly the 1x viewing performance and daylight bright reticle are pros...but the fixed 100m parallax, extremely mushy turrets (if dialing is your thing with a mismatched BDC reticle), and limited 4x zoom are cons.