• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner P4Xi or PA 3x micro prism?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
While it might sound like an odd comparison, I am trying to get a rifle set up for a run-n-gun match in NC. I'm not an AR guy so I threw one together from parts because this rifle is rarely going to get used. As such it has a fat ass 16" bull barrel that a buddy gave me and she's a thick girl now.

I would like to toss one of the Steiner P4Xi 1-4s from eurooptic on the rifle, but I am also considering the PA mirco prism 3x. With shots to 300ish yards, I'm not sure there is a huge difference lost or gained between the 3x vs 4x. But the prism is 10oz lighter than the lpvo, and worse case I can toss a burris fastfire that I have laying around on the rifle if I feel that I need a 1x for the closer shots.

Thoughts?

Have you used a top mounted dot before?

For me it is dogshit as a primary weaponsight, and in that type of match it will be your primary. YMMV.

A 1-4x will be much better at closer range, and it will also be a little better for precise shooting.

+1 for the Steiner 1-4 or the delta Stryker 1-6. I tried the fixed mag 3x with a dot, eye relief and eye box were just awful on the prism. Went lpvo and wouldn't go back, jmo.

I've had both. The PA 3X is a neat optic but I wasn't happy with any of the 1X solutions so I sold it.
The Steiner is a great optic and fine on 1X.

Prism = shitty eye relief/finicky eye box.

A 1-4 P4Xi is a solid choice.