• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

P90X

Lucks

Team Roberts Precision
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Central Texas
I did it last year, New Year's Resolution.
Best thing I ever did.
I lost 34 lbs. and at 35 years old was in best shape of my life.
It's only 90 days and it can change your life....
I think I'm going to go for a round 2... probably in January again.

Re: P90X

I have been working with P90X for two years now and find it to be a great system of working out. But, you have to add cardio to make it a complete system. I also don't like the abs portion so I make uop my own. But overall, it works great and does change your body and gets you in shape.

I agree with JSTARSZ about the cardio. There's no running in P90X, but it is still a good program.

I've been on and off P90x for the last couple years, rotating it with some strength routines. Its a great system. Just push play, follow along, push yourself, and results come.

I've been thinking about P90X for some time, I think January will likely be the month I actually get around to it as well. I'm hoping to run a marathon at the end of November so running has taken my time lately and I don't want to have some fluke injury that would take me away from the running this close to the race.

P90X worked for me. The key is sticking with the diet to get best results, and by that I mean both visual and functional. I've tried going back to it on occasion, but I found that I needed more variety. They have a P90X Plus program that I am going to try next.

P90x is a real nut kicker. I never did the diet with it so I never got the most out of it. I enjoy the workouts though, they are big Cardio builders.

I started last week then got sick as shit so I have started over and it is f&^king ass kicker it is what you put into it. I have a goal of 52lbs. I will make it.....

Try doing the Insanity in conjunction with P90X. P90 for the work out and Insanity for the additional cardio.

i personally think its a bullshit program for anyone that wants to build. Its an excellent program for people looking to cut and lose fat usually for the older folk.

It ain't just for old people, sonny (lol)... actually, when I was in college all the ROTC folks used it, and it showed. My brother does it off and on, but he was always an athlete and skinny so I don't really know how much it helps him... it has however helped him keep off the "freshman 15", and the "sophomore 17", so I guess that is enough.

I might have to kipe his dvd's next time he's done using it.

my wife and i are about to start. i have been going on and off to my local gym and no matter what i do I become heavier. I need to shed pounds and get rid of this beer belly.

I'm getting ready to start it and have already skipped though a few of the lessons to get an idea of what I'm in for. I'll tell you what it has that some one like I needs, Structure. I'm not one for being able to mix it up or even keep up with all the different ways to do some exercises but the fact that I just follow along make this a program I think I can actually do.

Now to get a Picture of my fat ass before I start.

Ive lost 40lbs since the end of May doing P90X. I generally always do doubles... Like anything its all what you put into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to start it and have already skipped though a few of the lessons to get an idea of what I'm in for. I'll tell you what it has that some one like I needs, Structure. I'm not one for being able to mix it up or even keep up with all the different ways to do some exercises but the fact that I just follow along make this a program I think I can actually do.

Now to get a Picture of my fat ass before I start. </div></div>

What you did was a good move. I think they need a prep series so you can learn the workouts and sequence, and assemble the right equipment and have it set up. It's a PITA to have to keep pausing and reconfiguring everything. Also, when I started it the first time, I maxed out and thought I was doing fine on the first workout, but was so sore the next day I could hardly move. I'm an older guy and my recovery time is not quick.

I will say that the P90X is a great concept and a great workout series. I'm still a fan even though I've had trouble with it out of the blocks.

Also, I try to add a little cardio each day in addition. It helps flush out the lactic acid and keeps the soreness down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lsf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with JSTARSZ about the cardio. There's no running in P90X, but it is still a good program. </div></div>

no runnning!? sounds GREAT
sign me up. ill have to add some bike. i have bad joints.

A buddy and I started it about a year ago. I'm 49 and he's 26.At 49 it's an ass kicker.I have improved so much over when we started it's amazing. One thing I've noticed with age is if I miss 3-4 days it's almost like starting over as far as the soreness. I like it and I bought me a set so I can work out if he can't. I also noticed it is more important for me to eat right compared to when I was younger. Had a lot of problem with crashing at the end of the workout. Figured out it was my diet and altered it accordingly and haven't had that problem anymore.

I'm putting it on my Ipod and bringing the power (rubber) bands in the overnite. From what I can tell that will cover most of the bases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbstokes22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i personally think its a bullshit program for anyone that wants to build. Its an excellent program for people looking to cut and lose fat usually for the older folk. </div></div>

Sounds like your clueless and have not used the program. You'll be amazed at how much you'll build by mastering your own body weight. You get what you put into the program. Want to add weight for pushups? Strap on a 50lb pack and go to town. Or just have your 4 year old sit on your back while you’re doing pushups. Not to mention your lifting weights in the program.

Traveling and doing this program? As long as you have resistance bands and a place to do pull ups, you’re good to go.

A guy that works with me did the P90X. He lost 32 pds. He said the Yoga is a ball buster even. I was thinking of starting the program. From what he says, You don't need a lot of things to get results from this.

P90X is a great program for what it is designed to do. It allows you a structured routine in your home to help you get into shape. It is difficult, but not too hard that it can't be done. No matter where you are starting from, it has methods to accomodate everyone.
There is a one legged guy doing this stuff, you have no excuse.
It takes 1-1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbstokes22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i personally think its a bullshit program for anyone that wants to build. Its an excellent program for people looking to cut and lose fat usually for the older folk. </div></div>

This is actually fairly accurate. I'm now on day 83 of the program (whoo!) so it's a pretty timely topic for me.

The basics of the strength exercises are push ups, pull ups, and general weight lifting. In other words, your average, run of the mill strength training. If you've never done this type of thing before (like my roommate, who's almost at the same stage of the program as me) - you will see bulk gain, but really no more than you would doing those exercises otherwise.

I, on the other hand, had just come off of very similar exercise programs (Navy SEAL Fitness Guide by Stu Smith, weights, sprint swimming, etc.) I saw almost no bulk gain despite seeing the expected gains in weight lifted and reps. I did increase muscle tone though.

HOWEVER...

You lose fat. You really, truly lose fat. My roommate lost a bunch, I dropped from 12% to currently around 6.5% body fat- and most importantly, if you go their forums (beachbody.com) and look through all the before and after picture threads, it's pretty much universal- everyone becomes more muscularly defined *within* their existing frame on the program. This is one of the reasons why heavier people have such drastically different results. The guys starting out heavy will lose 30-40lbs. and suddenly look cut as hell, but if you look carefully you notice their overall frame does not change much. The skinnies, on the other hand, have much less dramatic results. They'll generally lose a few pounds and get a bit more definition. It's actually quite astounding how different the results are for these two body types- see the pics, they really paint the picture.

So it's great for definition and fat loss, and if anything, it teaches you a bunch about diets, different food types, how they will react with your body, etc.- not through data, but through doing! You change your diet every 4 weeks and it's amazing what a different effect each phase has.

But for bulk? Nope. Certainly not the right program.

The goal of P90X is to make you very fit, not very huge. It's definitely better suited for athletes than body builders.

It's also true that it's largely pretty traditional stuff, but well assembled and charted out for you. If you follow the program, 99.9% of people will be significantly more fit when they're done.

JD

I have heard nothing but positive about this program from the perspective of trimming down. I tried some of it with a friend and am now waiting for him to finish as he has been kind enough to offer me the use of the DVDs so I dont have to spend on it myself.

The only caution I would add is that if you are extremely overweight, you need to be careful about how you ease into it. I am a big guy who has been working on fixing that for a little bit.

If you go full tilt into this program, even with a doctor's advice and assistance, realize there are side effects.

1) This program assumes that you have decent stamina and a reasonable starting ability. If, like me, you are way behind the eight ball with where your starting point is, its going to really suck at first and you may even have to work up to being able to complete some of the early routines before you start progressing through the rest of the program. Push yourself but not to the point of discouraging failure or injury.

2) This program does nothing for you (like any program) if you dont really stick with it. Doing something from this program once a week for maybe a few minutes for 90 days isn't going to cut it. Commit or dont spend the money.

3) Uh, not sure how to put this but anyway if you are a big guy, and you are disciplined and you are successful in helping your body release a lot of the lipids, realize there is a side effect to that. Your body breaks them down and they will have to come out. This can mean digestive effects that you will want to be careful about and make sure you are ok with. If you work out of your home, thats one thing, if you have a job where you cant just take a break because your body needs a bio break, that could be a problem.

I start phase 2 of the program tomorrow. Really enjoying the workouts thus far. Overall it's a nice mix of strength, cardio, & stretching. I've already dropped 11lbs, and have made some decent strength gains in just a little over 30 days.

Even though I'm not following the P90X diet I've been closely monitoring my caloric intake every day. Maybe when I do round 2 I'll give it a try to see if the results are much different.

If you're looking to get in better shape I believe P90X to be a great program. If you want to lose weight, working out can be beneficial, but diet is the key.

I too have been on and off of P90 since JULY.
I'll tell'ya what tho...
I havent been sticking to it, 100%, lucky if its actually 75%.
DIET is out the window.
I work 12hr nights, live 90mins from work ( for now )
NOT much time to cook meals, i eat the Healthy Choice Cafe steamer meals in the freezer section at wally-world for dinner only at work...
then on days I'm home, the dieting is even more out the window.

BUT....
I notice a difference, pants fit better, body a bit more defined.
Just sticking to a 6day work out regieme is hard work.

Anyone else in kinda the same FAT BOAT. 12hr shifts leave ya no real room for wokring out.

Yeah, I feel your pain. I work 12hr shifts too,4 days on, then 4 off. I only do P90X on my days off, but have been able to maintain a pretty healthy diet every day. I knew going into the program if I tried to do it on my work days as well, I'd never finish it.

Got an app for my droid that helps tracking my daily food intake a breeze (myfitnesspal). Even if you don't have a smart phone there are a few web sites that do the same thing.

Well gotta run.....it's YogaX time

Great info on this program...it has been heavily marketed, at least in my area, and I had looked into it...sounds like it is worth doing...

I started p90x about a month ago and I've already lost a few pounds for sure and started getting more muscle definition. It's an easy program to follow and will work you. I also run on the side for extra cardio.

I bought bands to start out with (and a door frame pull-up / push up bar) and am well under $100 into equipment. I also use the Perfect Pushup handles that I had from before. I am going to get some power-blocks or something like that for my next round though (not bowflex; I can't even find a set in store that isn't already broken!)

The bands are nice and compact and could travel easily. The ones I have are 2 handles w/ 3 slots each that you can mix & match up to 3 bands. Bands come anywhere from 10 - 100lbs resistance (divide by 2 to get weight per arm) so for $5-10 per band and a set of handles, you can get a huge range of weights for a small price. I picked up a 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 for myself & my wife who also started and those have covered everything I needed and have more than plenty of room to grow.

Each p90x video has someone working out on the bands, so you have something to follow. I will admit that some of the exercises are a bit akward using bands though, which is why I want to go to the power blocks (eventually... I do still like the bands for most workouts). Also, if you DON'T write down what weights your using or it's the first time doing a particular video, it will take a little bit of time to pause, switch out the bands and find the weight you need for the exercise... and you'll piss off Tony if you don't write it down! hah

All in all I think it's a good program and you will get results if put in the effort (just like anything else). Each program is about an hour and you do abs every other day for another 15 mins. Yoga is the only one so far that I've found longer (1:30) and that still kicks my butt (all those damn warrior poses!) Some people might not think yoga is "cool" but it only makes sense that flexibility & balance will improve your overall strength... and if you think yoga is easy, try to keep up with them for the first 45 minutes during the strength poses... I'll bet most people can't the first time around.

Starting P90X tonight with a friend after work. I'm kinda jumping headfirst into this without doing any homework whatsoever. I have an ectomorphic body type so one of my main goals is to <span style="font-style: italic">build, not burn body mass</span>. I'm about 6'1" and have weighed close to 120lbs for most of my adult life. I have a really fast metabolism and pretty much never gain weight. One of my biggest obstacles is my diet, being full blown <span style="font-weight: bold">lactose intolerant/allergic to dairy </span>I have a very difficult time trying to find some kind of weight gainer or dietary supplement to help me build mass. I can't drink anything that has Whey or dairy products in it, so does anyone have any advice or recommendations on what I can do or take to bulk up, or whether I am a good candidate for P90X?

I think you may see a little gain in size, but remember that X was designed primarily to cut weight, not bulk you. Like has been said, the skinny folks tend to pick up a lot of definition but not a lot of mass.

I'm on week 9, day 4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aron81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I am going to get some power-blocks or something like that for my next round though (not bowflex; I can't even find a set in store that isn't already broken!)
</div></div>

Yup, I went looking for Bowflex weights. The sales guy scoffed at them and tried to sell me Powerblocks. I ended up buying neither, I went home and Googled 'powerblocks vs. bowflex'. He wasn't kidding; everyone HATES the Bowflex.

I ended up buying a 5-90 set of Powerbocks from a used sporting goods store down the street. If I were buying new, though, I would highly recommend you NOT buy a set that has the "adder weights". Get a set that adjusts in 5lb increments without them, such as the Sport 5.0, but you'll likely want to get the 20 pound cores to take them to 70 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an ectomorphic body type so one of my main goals is to <span style="font-style: italic">build, not burn body mass</span>. I'm about 6'1" and have weighed close to 120lbs for most of my adult life.</div></div>

I feel your pain. I usually hover around 128-130. I've slowly come up to 141 since starting P90x. That said, at this point in the game I think this is a LOUSY program for bulking up. It has been awesome, however, at building up all of the little ancillary muscles that I don't otherwise use. I'm a runner by nature (including a marathon under my belt, and an offroad ultramarathon in my future). My legs have never been this fit before.

I've only put on 12 pounds or so according to the scale, but those 12 pounds are obvious on my little frame. It mind sound odd to the overweight guys, but it sucks to be a skinny dude. So much of the fitness industry is geared to help guys slim down. That little portion of it that is focused on building all seems like gimmicky snake-oil bullshit.

Hmm....I've been always kind of leery about staring the p90x system. It just seems that you have to be in a basic level of fitness to start.

I was going to do P90X until I found out how long each workout takes. It is a great program, but I don't have the time to do it. I decided on Crossfit instead and along with the Paleo Diet, it has worked wonders. If j had the time, I would have done P90X because it does what it was designed to do if you follow the program. Crossfit is the same, you get lean, not look like a body builder.

I'm to the point that I need to loose some pounds and get back in shape and was looking at getting the P90X. Any body recommend which place to buy from? I've found prices from $65 to $140. Is there a difference?
BTW Powder Burns, I am also lactose intolerant and found I have no problem with 'natural cheese'. With all the dairies here in WI I have no problem getting all kinds of cheese that has no effect on me. Kraft Natural should be available any where so you might want to give it a try.
And no I don't have a cheese hat but I did see some interesting cheese 'bras' in Green Bay a couple of years ago before the game.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder Burns,

You need to eat. What do you have for breakfast?

-Chris </div></div>

What's breakfast?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been working with P90X for two years now and find it to be a great system of working out. But, you have to add cardio to make it a complete system. I also don't like the abs portion so I make uop my own. But overall, it works great and does change your body and gets you in shape. </div></div>

????? You must not have followed the program or kept with the pace the videos go because the program has cardio in it

Just because the program doesn't put you on a treadmill doesn't mean it doesn't have cardio. I was on phase 2 of the program and had to run a mile for a physical fitness test at a new job. I hadn't done a timed run in 5 years prior. I only did the p90x program and put out a 7 minute mile.

I have friend that's a pro fisherman (davewolak.com). He's on the road 200 + days a year and does it in hotel rooms. Just get yourself some bands and maybe push up bars. I've been through it 3 times now, about once a year. The real nice part about this program is that every year I started, I was about 10 lbs. lighter that the year before.

Another P90X lover here. I completed it twice last year then broke my shoulder in a motorcycle accident and didn't start up again for about 8 months. I've been at it again this year and my results match those YouTube videos everyone posts. I'm a super hard gainer yet I drop my body fat percentage and still manage to gain about 15 pounds through a cycle. But I have to eat like crazy, I can't follow their diets.