• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pacific Tool and Gauge Bottom Metal

Re: Pacific Tool and Gauge Bottom Metal

Go with williams, If your gonna do the PTG setup you might as well do a factory floorplate and save some money. I ordered one a while back and was really disapointed since for the same price as a williams it was no where near as nice. Functional yes,

IMG_4418.JPG

Spend the little extra and go with williams or Dakota

Wow, exact opposite I just got one of their tacticals in today and in every way find it better then the williams.It drops perfectly in the stock and is certainly more robust.
PTG001.jpg

PTG002.jpg

PTG003.jpg

Williams is not a drop in for a McMillan stock if the stock is cut for Remington factory bottom metal. The Williams will drop into a HS type stock with usually some minor fitting.

The PTG bottom metal is night and day different then Remington factory stuff. Not sure what Poke's issue was but trying to compare Remington factory bottom metal with PTG or anyone else shouldn't even be an issue, and since Remington doesn’t make steel bottom metal it’s a mute point anyway.

You won't have any issues with the PTG stuff and it is a direct drop in for the factory cut-out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PTG bottom metal is night and day different then Remington factory stuff. Not sure what Poke's issue was but trying to compare Remington factory bottom metal with PTG or anyone else shouldn't even be an issue, and since Remington doesn’t make steel bottom metal it’s a mute point anyway.</div></div>

That one had me scratching my head as well. I haven't handled Williams metal but there is a big difference between the PT&G steel metal and the factory stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyRod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PTG bottom metal is night and day different then Remington factory stuff. Not sure what Poke's issue was but trying to compare Remington factory bottom metal with PTG or anyone else shouldn't even be an issue, and since Remington doesn’t make steel bottom metal it’s a mute point anyway.</div></div>

That one had me scratching my head as well. I haven't handled Williams metal but there is a big difference between the PT&G steel metal and the factory stuff. </div></div>

Steel, Aluminum its not my point. If you want the looks of the Rem factory floorplate then buy the factory one and save some bones. Theres not alot of diff between the PTG and Factory,

Rem Factory unit, Aluminum basic and works
IMG_4620.JPG

Williams unit, Steel, nice workmanship, a real nice piece but as stated above not a drop in fit on a McM and if you look at the way my Factory sits in my A-5 in the pic above you can see why.
IMG_4621.JPG

Williams and PTG floorplate Nearly same price but the only thing they have in common is they are both steel. the PTG is no where near as nicely machined
IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

the only complaint i had with one for a long action is the pins supplied did not fit the holes that they were supposed to for the hinge and locking block otherwise they are Ok for the money and the steel ones are a lot stronger replacenent over the standard rem Unit the rem uints can break fairly easily and the RTG steel one is a lot better. saying that the Williams is great aswell but some require inleting that is the buty of the PTG steel unit paint it and drop it into any standard inleted remington stock.

Does anyone have experience with the badger m4 bottom metal?

Poke, I think the difference is you are looking at it cosmetically, where there is not much difference, but if you look at it from the standpoint of durability there is a huge diff. Steel vs. cheap alum casting. Rem bottom is cheap crap. I do however agree that the williams is nicer than the PTG, but PTG is still way better than the Rem.

For the Question above here is a pic of my other stick with an M4 bottom. As you can see its steps ahead of the competition but almost double the price.
IMG_4619.JPG

If I want something that looks like a rem floorplate then I will buy a Rem, the chances of wearing one out is pretty slim and breaking one is a pretty remote chance also. Now if I want to throw some class on my hunting rifle I will and would buy a williams or Dakota unit.

Its all about preference. I prefer a unit that is functional and looks nice. The PTG only covers half of that.

Same with DBM people prefer different makers. They all do the same thing, function is the same but aesthetics are different.

The new pacific Blackburn type tactical bottom metal is about finished it will be the same price as the bottom metal that pacific makes for remington. Look at it and then compare the williams and sunny hill . GA just recived a order made for Wyatts extended box. Its nice.

I have a MacMillan HTG stock that is inletted for DD Ross or Badger M4 bottom metal. Does anyone know if the PTG tactical bottom metal is the same dimensions as the DD Ross and B.O.?

The PTG is hands down a better made unit compared to the Factory Remington BDL metal. don't confuse the idea that because it just looks like a remington that it's not worth getting. For 125$ It's hard to beat. I don't worry about looks, I worry about funtion and reliability and you get that with the PTG steal bottom metal. Remginton only cover 1 of those.

I have broken a factory BDL metal so in know I wont get another. I replaced it with a PTG so I know its worth it. I had the Badger M4 on my GAP 300wm and I know there isn't much gain between it and the PTG, once you go to steal you pretty much are going to get all the upgrade you need from the BDL.

my 2 cents.

For the money I think it's hard to beat PTG bottom metal. It's pretty inexpensive, near perfect drop in fit in my A5 and looks nice to, IMHO.

DSCN6097.jpg

Dave Kiff's PTG steel bottom metal is a quality alternative to the inexpensive factory bottom metal, my trigger guard has got quite a ding in it, but it still functions flawlessly, I don't the aluminum one would have survived.

Thanks very much guys. Ended up buying one of his DBMs. Looking forward to installing it soon.

good call! The DBM seems to be the true upgrade especially in the competition side. It nice to have a 10rnd mag and COF that requires 10shots. No reloading
smile.gif

is there any work required on a Remington action to be able to use the DBM?