• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pacific tool & guage

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Has anyone purchased gauges or other goods from pacific tool & gauge? Was recently shopping around for go/no go gauges and they came up was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before or checked out their products.

Its been awhile since the last time i got anything. They seem like most in the industry a little slow to ship. I have 6.5 cm and 308 gauges they are nicely made.

Reactions: Islas82
I live bout 10 minutes from their shop. I would be cautious on purchasing anything right now as I believe they are shutdown at the moment due to covid19. I'm not 100% but this last week when I drove by the whole business park they are in was completely empty.
Oregon closed all non essential busniess.

I ordered a lightweight bolt shroud and firing pin from them about a year ago. I am pleased with the products and customer service i received.

Has anyone purchased gauges or other goods from pacific tool & gauge? Was recently shopping around for go/no go gauges and they came up was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before or checked out their products.

Yeah they suck period. I had something out of spec and emailed them measurement pics from high dollar laser QC equipment and they told me thats in spec. I sent it back to them with a fuck you note and not resell it in the this forum out of good ethics.

If you buy their stuff through brownells it's ok. Still supporting odd company tbouhh

Reactions: lash
I've bought a lot of tools & parts from Dave at PTG since 2005, but even then, it was sometimes comical to compare notes with a friend who's also a gunsmith to see which of us had gotten the most screwed up order recently. Not exactly what a company wants to be famous for....but their quality was & is pretty darned good. The problem was in getting what you'd ordered - but they were good to deal with when they screwed-up. Have heard some pretty outrageous stories online about customer service over the past few years, so it's a little harder to overlook some gaffs. From what I've heard, gun parts & tools are a very small part of PTG's business, so maybe that helps to explain the screw-ups? But even so, if the shooting side of their business means anything at all to the owners, they should be doing what they can to correct the issues some guys have had with them. I still do business with PTG, but I'm very careful when I place an order, since they advertise 'no returns, no refunds' - and that flat doesn't go over well with a lot of folks.

From what I've heard, gun parts & tools are a very small part of PTG's business, so maybe that helps to explain the screw-ups?

Uh No... Its a major part of their business and a lot of smiths order from them because they're cheap. They screw up because the people in charge from the top down are asswipes and the employees are mostly fucking potheads and hipsters who give two fucks. They have no quality control standard in place.

A few years back I wanted to build a new bolt rifle, so I called them to order one of their stocks. The girl on the phone couldn’t even tell me if they had one in stock, but she would go look and call me back. After three days of not hearing back from her, I ordered a McMillan. Then on day four or five, she calls back to let me know they had one. When I told her that I had already ordered one, she blew up and bitched me out good. Way to go PTG, call up potential customers and give it to them good over the phone. Good way to get negative publicity over at the Hide.

Uh No... Its a major part of their business and a lot of smiths order from them because they're cheap. They screw up because the people in charge from the top down are asswipes and the employees are mostly fucking potheads and hipsters who give two fucks. They have no quality control standard in place.
I'm not going to argue the point that they screw-up with regularity - have sure as heck have had my share of those experiences with PTG. But as I said, they used to be easy to deal with back when I started buying from them in 2005. And it wasn't because they were 'cheap' - in many cases, they were the only company offering what I was looking for. But if you look into their business, you'll find that they make a lot of automotive parts, which is why I mentioned that the gun side of the business isn't the majority of what they do. That's really no excuse for whatever is going on up there at PTG - I've recently turned jobs down because I didn't want to deal with PTG's screw-ups and/or get stuck with parts that weren't going to work for the job a customer wanted done.

I can also vouch that this is a horrible company. I ordered an in stock item a month ago. It never showed up. I called them and they refused to issue a refund.

It wasn’t by my choice. But in the future I’ll just veto it if someone mention them.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Got a Savage bolt head decently fast (though, thinking about it, may have got it through Midway).

A standard extractor for a Rem700 bolt... took a few months.

Got a Savage bolt head decently fast (though, thinking about it, may have got it through Midway).

A standard extractor for a Rem700 bolt... took a few months.
I just got 2 std remmy extractors. Took 2 weeks. Paid for 3-5 business day shipping. Tracking link was broken.
Eh.. I got it. Wasn't in a hurry. But it's a shit business model.

Yeah I did, and it was a good lesson to never do that again. Do yourself a favor and get Forrester or manson

I just got 2 std remmy extractors. Took 2 weeks. Paid for 3-5 business day shipping. Tracking link was broken.
Eh.. I got it. Wasn't in a hurry. But it's a shit business model.
I actually had forgot I ordered it/thought maybe I didn't order it. They were the only place that had it "in stock" which was actually not. Eh, wasn't in a rush and happy the gun was fixed in the end.

Reactions: camocorvette
Ordered 7 prc go and no-go gauges on January 1 that were supposedly “in stock.” After 5 weeks still no shipping and no response to email. I called today and was told that it will still be at least a couple weeks as they aren’t even built yet. And they charge a 15% restocking fee to cancel the order even though they aren’t even made.

So I agree with the advice above, order somewhere else.

Ordered two headspace gauges mid-November. Called in December for estimate on shipping. Whoever I talked to said they would email the other side of the building where they were being cut. Never heard back. Called in January, they said they would ship end of January. Called second week of February to cancel my order and they said they were shipping the next day. I did get them a couple days later.

Ordered two headspace gauges mid-November. Called in December for estimate on shipping. Whoever I talked to said they would email the other side of the building where they were being cut. Never heard back. Called in January, they said they would ship end of January. Called second week of February to cancel my order and they said they were shipping the next day. I did get them a couple days later.
This is almost exactly what happened with me. Didn’t ship until I called for a third time to cancel my order and then they arrived a few days later.

This thread exists. Still true. 6 pages.