• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pack out bag

Rlovato

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2018
Im looking for any reccomendations on a good pack out bag. We usually hunt elk nothing extreme back country stuff daybag size is fine we just have rough terrain and long hikes.

I use the Exo Mountain Gear 2000, great day pack and I can put well over 100#'s in it and pack it out comfortably.

Reactions: Wyzrd and Rthur
I was looking at that one right now is there really enough space to get a tripod and binos along with cold weather clothes though?

I strap my tripod to the outside and pack the following in the bag
hard shell gore-tex jacket
puffy jacket
gloves/beanie
GPS +extra batteries
dark angel kit
lunch
water
kill kit
4 game bags
65mm spotter

Plenty of room for a day hunt

Reactions: Wyzrd and Rlovato
Awesome sounds like ill be ordering one soon thanks

Reactions: Wyfox
I like it, but I don't have a 2000 to compare it to. So I really can't say.

Kuiu icon pro 1850 is my go to. Packed my gear and both front quarters of a big bull out this year. Awesome bags.

Consider a size larger or maybe two sizes larger than you really need depending on pricing/features/etc etc etc.

That was my thought i just want to make sure the larger bag was still able to tighten up when not loaded down. Tight gear is light gear is always what i was told

And to my understanding the exo does come with one?

I also ready the kuiu had some problems in the past? What were the problems and have these been resolved?

I was just referring to Kuiu not coming with a bladder, can’t speak for the other. As to the problems you mentioned I’m unaware of any. I can speak for mine and many others that I have spent a lot of time in the woods with. No problem with any of them. Only bag I’d haul 2 front elk quarters or an entire quartered mule deer in one trip. The suspension system is awesome.

I have the Badlands Clutch pack. It's just slightly bigger than most day packs but can pack out over 100 lbs of meat in one go. It is very sturdy and very comfortable. My cousin has used the Eberlestock X2 pack for years and that has been a great pack for him. It has hauled thousands of pounds of elk and mule deer out of the Utah mountains over the years.

I actually looked at a few badland bags today seemed well put together but didnt look like there was an seperation from bag and where you packed your meat am i correct?

My Clutch has what they call a "beaver tail" pack on the outside. This outter pack is removable (making it more like a 2200) and is lashed to the main pack by 7 straps (2 on the botton, 2 on the top, and 3 across the middle). You can put your meat in between the main pack and the outter pack and then strap it all down nice and tight. The 2200 uses a similar strapping system with a soft "meat shelf" on the bottom minus the outter pack. Basically the meat is secured to the outside of the pack. If you don't have much in the main compartment or don't mind whatever is in there getting a little bloody, you can load a quarter in there too. Just do a quick search for the Clutch and 2200 to see reviews and images of each and how they load.

1542235428240.png

Here is a google image I found showing how to secure a load in the Badlands Clutch pack.

1542235538143.png

Here is another image of the 2200.

Hopefully that helps.

Mystery Ranch Overload or Crew cab. All of Mystery Ranch's stuff is good to go.

Exo 5500.
I'm sure it can carry more than I can down the mountain.
Large for a day bag but they can compress down well.
Most of the bags mentioned have a place for hydration bladders but aren't included.
OutdoorGearlab is a good place to see reviews on bladders.

R

Another vote for the Kuiu Icon systems. Very impressed with the little 1850 pack. I did 28miles with 40 lbs of backpacking gear (mine plus wife’s plus 4yrolds) this summer, easy packout head and horns this fall. Buddy hauled out 2 moose in AK with his larger Kuiu pack, same frame on both pack, just different bags. I can’t think of anything I would change, will probably get some backcountry ski trips in with it this winter, lots of options for one pack

My Mystery Ranch Metcalf has been my go-to for a while now. Picks down small for daypack-type hunts, and expands enough to carry camping gear for backcountry hunts, while still keeping the overload shelf clear for meat.

I have read great reviews about the metacalf as well i do like the price over the exo as well