• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Packing the Spotter Scope

Jezzy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Guys I'm a relatively new shooter, and very new to precision rifle. My skills aren't there yet, but thanks to you guys I'm getting there.

As I start shooting more I'm starting to realize that I'm packing a lot of gear to the range. So much that my "range bag" is starting to get outgrown. I don't want to be one of those guys who ends up bringing a cart to the range and when I go out to the inlaws land a cart just won't do.

I've looked though the gear posts and was wondring what you guys do to pack your gear, especially your Spotter. I've got a Bushnel that is working for what I'm doing right now, but the case it came with is kinda large and bulky. I want to be able to carry it out and about and not worry if it's gonna get damaged. Any suggestions?

Jez

Re: Packing the Spotter Scope

I use an Gunslinger 2. The operator is a awesome pack and I have one, just to big for a range bag.

My tripod s strapped to the outside and the spotter rides on the inside of the pack. Works great.

+1 for Eberlestock. I use a halftrack and can get everything I need in it with room to spare.

Thanks for the mention ArmyDog!

Here is the case that he is talking about.

P1010325.jpg

P1010328.jpg

P1010329.jpg

P1010330.jpg

P1010331.jpg

P1010332.jpg

I have a version of this case that fits the Bushnell Excursion FLP and have another version that I'm developing for straight body traditional spotting scopes.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like more info, or check out this thread.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2475477#Post2475477

Cheers,
Phillip
L8N

Truthfully, I don't bring a spotting scope to the range with me unless I have another person that's going to watch casually, or function as a spotter.

I've found, after much reading here and practice on the range, that if you drive the rifle properly you don't need a spotting scope or spotter. You see everything you need to through the scope on the rifle. While I love my Bushnell FFP spotter, the glass is better on my Nightforce.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Truthfully, I don't bring a spotting scope to the range with me unless I have another person that's going to watch casually, or function as a spotter.

I've found, after much reading here and practice on the range, that if you drive the rifle properly you don't need a spotting scope or spotter. You see everything you need to through the scope on the rifle. While I love my Bushnell FFP spotter, the glass is better on my Nightforce.

Rich </div></div>

Rich, man I would bring a spotting scope for reading mirage,target id etc, if I where you. It will do far better than constantly adjusting your rifle scopes parallex.

So other than possibly a cover you just stow it in your pack? I guess I've just been using to many cheap spotters to where I worry about bumping around and messing them up.

My first Spotter broke when the concussion of a .308 knocked one of the lenses loose. Scope was right next to the rifle.

I carry my spotter with tripod attached to out side side of pack makes for fast on off deployment. It is a luppy that has had the shit beat out of it and has never had any problems. It does have a london bridge cover on much like Phils. Word of caution about those c clamps that he has in those pics holding his. I think those things suck, they can not even hold my camel back hose let alone stay on my pack. I would never trust them to a piece of kit like a spotting scope.