• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Packs for matches

Poirierpro

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2020
Run a pack and carry rifle or run a pack with built in scabbard?? Pros and cons of each...thinking of trying a scabbard pack. Thanks gents

Carry the rifle. Getting it in and out of the scabbard every stage is a pain in the ass.

I attached a quick detach swivel to my left shoulder strap and attach to my stocks flush cup. It’s way more comfortable than a sling and quick to get in and out of.

If I have to carry the rifle a long distance, I’ll definitely use the scabbard.

Scabbard. Most of my matches usually require a 1/2-1 mile walk between extremes of stages, sometimes up a very steep hill the entire way. Carrying a 20 lbs rifle, in hand, several hundred yards, all day, can be downright annoying for people who aren't used to it. If it's a local club match where you're going 20 yards between stages, just go for a normal backpack and carry the rifle by hand.

You could also go with the dreaded tactical stroller :LOL:

I'm looking at getting into a few of these matches where you have to ruck a mile or so in between stages. For that, I want a scabbard, looking at the Eberlestock Gunslinger II unless there is something better.
For my local matches, it's the tactical baby stroller!

I had a Gunslinger II and sold it... it was too big for what I do here in the NE. Used an old Cabelas pack for a while, which was still a little too big. Just picked up a Eberlestock Hispeed pack... we'll see how that fits the bill.

Reactions: calamjn
Slings work too for transporting rifle. Will never use a scabbard again. Total pain in ass getting it in and out. So much time, pushing and maintenance work.

Sling with a pack that is organized well. Spend your time getting that ruck organized right. And then keep it organized.

Slings work too for transporting rifle. Will never use a scabbard again. Total pain in ass getting it in and out. So much time, pushing and maintenance work.

Sling with a pack that is organized well. Spend your time getting that ruck organized right. And then keep it organized.
So you wear the pack and sling your rifle in front?

I've got a g3 phantom and the new x31 now. I use the scabbard as a big quick dump pouch. If I'm carrying my rifle a long distance I'm going with a Kifaru shape charge with the Sherman pocket. With a 25lbs rifle the Kifaru is much better at weight like that.

I had one of the smaller Eberlestock packs years ago, it was pretty good for carrying a smaller hunting rifle. Fast foward to modern day, and I'm walking a mile or so to get into my deer hunting stands, and toting my AIAT. Got a LoDrag and just didn't like it very much at all. Even with the large tactical rifle scabbard, I had hell making the AT fit, and suspect anyone shooting competition would have the same type of problems. Also, the pack was just really off-balance and cumbersome with a big heavy rifle on your back and weight behind it.

Now I carry a smaller pack, and carry the rifle patrol style across my chest with a Rifles Only bungee sling. This is a much more comfortable way for me to walk. If I wanted to carry my heavy rifle on a backpack, it would be on the back of the pack, and the pack would be something waaaay better than an Eberlestock.

I usually sling the rifle over my shoulder after the pack is on, but there are different ways of using the sling to carry the rifle, based on personal preference and amount of distance to cover. I would at least try the sling method before committing to buy a scabbard type setup.

I agree with the Kifaru recommendation. If you have to carry that big rifle long ways and you want it on the pack, get a good system. Scabbards seem like they mess up how the weight is distributed on your back, creating some thing of a rotating fulcrum with every step. This is a huge no-go.

I kind of like this setup from Kifaru: Weight of the pack appears tight to your body, on your hips via the belt. And then the gun is easy to get, easy to secure, no fighting it in and out (especially if you have a bipod system to fight).
1584475311238.png

I do the same as @Crews , Rifles Only bungee sling in front. I put on my pack first, then put the gun + sling over the front, muzzle down. I shoot a ~22# AX with a 7" suppressor, so I use the QD socket above the pistol grip on the AX which prevents the suppressor from dragging on the ground.

My local club match has a short walk up a steep-ish hill, and this does the trick. Can't say I've done any extended hiking/rucking/hunting with this setup though, so depending on the weight of your kit and your physical stamina YMMV.

Reactions: Poirierpro
Yeah I find the scabbards to be more trouble than they are worth. Just run a pack and if you have a long ruck ahead, attach the rifle to the outside of the pack. Otherwise carry with a sling.

Reactions: Poirierpro
I usually carry my rifle in matches but have the option to put it in a scabbard with the Eberlestock pack. I rarely use the scabbard but if you had to do a match that is more hiking it would come in as a nice feature. Any of the basic PRS matches carrying will work fine.

Scabbard. Most of my matches usually require a 1/2-1 mile walk between extremes of stages, sometimes up a very steep hill the entire way. Carrying a 20 lbs rifle, in hand, several hundred yards, all day, can be downright annoying for people who aren't used to it. If it's a local club match where you're going 20 yards between stages, just go for a normal backpack and carry the rifle by hand.

You could also go with the dreaded tactical stroller :LOL:

Good gawd man!

• Haha
Reactions: The Durk
Don't they make wheels you can click into the leg extensions of your Atlas Bi-Pod and just clip one end of your sling to your belt behind you...and simply walk pulling the little cannon?

I do the same as @Crews , Rifles Only bungee sling in front. I put on my pack first, then put the gun + sling over the front, muzzle down. I shoot a ~22# AX with a 7" suppressor, so I use the QD socket above the pistol grip on the AX which prevents the suppressor from dragging on the ground.

My local club match has a short walk up a steep-ish hill, and this does the trick. Can't say I've done any extended hiking/rucking/hunting with this setup though, so depending on the weight of your kit and your physical stamina YMMV.

I do the same as well, Mystery Ranch 3DAP on my back, 22ish lbs rife slung patrol style in front using an AG bungee sling. Some of the team matches out here (SHC, RTC stuff) have a few miles of walking/hiking in a day and it works fine for me.

I have an eberlestock phantom pack and I'm not a big fan. It's very hard to stuff the rifle in the scabbard and unless you cinch it down with the buttstock assembly it always wiggles around. Also, the pack itself is poorly set up for organization of match gear, and is far too large for me meaning I fill it with WAY too much shit and end up carrying a 60-80lb pack for no good reason.

The sling recommendation is a good one, but I'll definitely be looking into the Kifaru solution. Those packs look awesome!

How much stuff goes in a pack is up to the owner and not the pack ;)

Carry the rifle. Getting it in and out of the scabbard every stage is a pain in the ass.

I attached a quick detach swivel to my left shoulder strap and attach to my stocks flush cup. It’s way more comfortable than a sling and quick to get in and out of.

If I have to carry the rifle a long distance, I’ll definitely use the scabbard.

Hey, if you don't mind, do you have a pic of this setup? What length is your barrel?

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Great info/help here gents. Keeps me from spending more money!

I really wanted to like Eberlestock but after trying several just can't.

I use a Mystery Ranch 3 DAP or more recently a Kifaru Shape Charge with Sherman Pocket. They both carry weight better than the Eberlestock offering and offer better options for organizing essentials for matches.

Getting the rifle in and out of the Eberlestock scabbard isn’t that hard. Even with a bipod. Before you tighten down all the load straps roll the pack so its sitting on the ground with the suspension facing up. Slide the rifle in. Roll it over so the pack is on top of the rifle. Tighten your load straps. Reverse for removal. The load tightening straps on the GSII and others run through small loops on the scabbard so the scabbard is tightened up with the pack and there’s not as much movement.

The phantom is even easier because the load tightening straps don’t run through loops on the scabbard. But if you want to tighten everything up run the single load tightening strap through the side grab handles first, the around to the female buckle in the front. This will tighten up the scabbard and keep the pack from moving as much.

Reactions: BradXB

I struggle with the idea of taking my rifle out of the fight/hunt/whatever. My preference is in hand, slung...might be why I don't like heavy rifles much for field use. Matches though...guess if you're gonna play, might as well play to win. It's probably about efficiency - folks routinely hump 30+ pounds on a sling, all day. If you're doing short movements, that's likely just fine. That said, for longer movements, the efficiency of packing it is probably worth something...wonder where that cutoff is.

I borrowed a buddy's eberlestock lowdrag II for a week or two which let me get in a whole lot of personal time with the pack before buying my own. I adjusted it per their instructions then loaded it up and took it on several 3-5 mile hikes during that time, both with a rifle in the scabbard and without. I just couldnt get used to the weight distribution, and with a rifle in the scabbard, it just constantly felt like it was bouncing around on my back, similar to what jbailey mentioned. Tried synching down the pack super tight, tried loading the pack differently, etc. I just determined that it wasnt a good fit for me and stuck with my regular pack and rifle slung muzzle down over my chest. I dont do a great deal of hiking between stages, but for the handful of field style matches I've shot, this worked well for me.

I do feel like the right pack with the rifle in a scabbard, fit to my body and loaded correctly would probably still be a very comfortable way to go if I was doing a ton of hiking between stages, but it seems pack selection is key and that isn't a rabbit hole I've had the need to go down yet.

Last edited:
I've been rolling with either a Mystery Ranch 3 Day or my Kifaru Xray. Thought about tryin a Haley Strategic pack but the boxy look of it makes me think of some hello kitty packs do I scratched the idea. Rifle is slung across my chest unless the match says 100% muzzle up or down in which case I just hand carry.