• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Padded Cheek riser pad/cover?

909er

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2012
So. Cal. RanchoCucamonga
I was at a match today and saw a guy shooting with a Manners T4A stock and on the cheek riser he had a padded riser cover that was just for the riser and not the entire buttstock. He told me the manufacturer but I completely forgot who makes it. Does anyone have any idea as to what the manufacturer is that produces this cheek riser? I need one bad. My cheek bone feels like I was in a fight at the end of a days shooting.

??? I'm no expert here but it sounds like your doing something wrong if it hurts that much.

Been looking for the same thing 909er. I swear I saw a pic of one somewhere but haven't been able to find it again. Basically it was like the top of an Eagle or Triad stock pack that fastened to the adjustable comb. Right?

Sorry Ombre I have no experience with them, just remembered the name closely enough to locate it with a quick google search

909er,

Sounds to me like you need to do some stock adjusting and maybe some position adjusting as well.
No properly fitting gun should smack you in the cheek.
First Q, Are you shooting prone, off a bench or in a position (standing, seated, kneeling)?
I'll offer further advise after you answer that question as each has a bit of stuff to think about.
It does sound to me that either you are not building a good cheek weld or the rifle is not in the pocket of you shoulder or Length of Pull is too long and that is forcing you to lean your head forward to get behind the scope. You may need to move your scope back. All are possible and why I want to know how you are shooting the rifle.

It would also be helpful to know the caliber you are shooting and the make of the gun. I thought I heard TRG mentioned and they have about the slickest and most adjustable stock of any factory rifle out there. A 338LM of course is gonna kick a bunch more than a 6.5CM but all the principles are the same for all guns.

Last edited:
Grant

Any idea if that little Wiebad would fit on a TRG? No sweat if you are not sure, I can always call them.
Thanks

When I ordered mine, they responded asking for some very specific measurements. the pads are made to order, I'm sure they would be willing to get you one for the TRG. Mine is very comfortable and for the craftsmanship the price is right on
209sydg.jpg

Last edited:
Just got done talking with David from Weibad about the pad I just mounted up, absolute top tier customer service. I highly recommend the mini stock pad

That's the piece im looking for. Thanks guys. This stock is new to this rifle and ive never had this happen before. My father in law first noted the pain in his cheek bone and then my friend noticed the same thing. Bench shooting is where I have noticed this. My rifle is always held quite firm and has a really good muzzle break. The shape of the top of the cheek riser is peeked which lends itself to doing this. I basically bury my cheek bone onto the top of my stock. I really cant imagine doing anything wrong with it. 300 WM still kicks. That suede covers Wiebad riser cover will take care of my little problem for sure.

A high comb might be the issue but i doubt it. What stock on what rifle/ 300 WM is a snappy round and stock fit is really important the stronger the recoil pulse is.

If you would, i will ask you to explore something. It'll only take you 5 minutes and that is if you have to remove the gun from its case.

Unload the gun and be sure it is unloaded.
Stand with the gun on the floor muzzle up and about 2 feet in front of you.
Look down the center of the bbl from the top, raising your head to be able to see the top of the comb and then the top of the butt/recoil pad.
I will assume you are right handed for now.
The stock and particularly the comb should be slightly off center to one side or the other. Dead center is OK. Ideally, for a right handed shooter, there should be a little bit of bend towards the left as you are looking down the bbl. This is called the cast of the stock and cast off is what you are looking for. Not to much but maybe 1/4" or so from the front of the comb to the rear. This allows you to get your cheek on the comb and your eye behind the scope without having to mash your cheek against the stock.

If the comb has a pocket in it for the cheek, so much the better. You need not put your cheek bone atop the stock then, it should be resting in that pocket. This is called a Monte Carlo style cheek piece and is quite popular on European guns. Mostly for hunting. They tend to be sharp at the top because that is not where you put your cheek, you put it in the pocket.

A picture of your rifle would be really helpful.

My stock is just a Manners T4A stock on a Remington action with a HEAVY Varmint profile Bartlein Barrel. The Muzzle brake is a Big Chubby. The recoil really isnt all that bad with the muzzle brake on. But for some reason The sharp/peaky cheek riser seems to cause my cheek some discomfort after 30+ rounds. My origional stock had a Eagle buttstock cover in place and it was padded, so I never had this experience. I did site down the barrel as you described. The cast of the stock appears centered to me. If its off center at all, I dont notice it. Hopefully My picture loads OK.

Attachments

• PA210972.jpg
    PA210972.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 57
  • PA210973.jpg
    PA210973.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 39
Nice stick!!

Without a ruler to see length of pull, it looks a little short to me but I'm not you. Might be cramping you a bit.

Zero cant is usually fine on a stock like that. What you don't want is cant the wrong way i.e. into your cheek.

The top of the cheek pad on the stock does look almost masochistic to me. The little cheek pad should go a long way towards helping that.

I don't know the center to center dimensions of those posts holding the riser up but they look really similar to the ones on my AI AX folder chassis. You may want to see if you can get dimensions from somebody. The AI cheek piece is much rounder and that may be all you need. I'll measure mine in the morning. Reason I suggest that is the little pad is gonna offset your eye from the centerline of the scope and you may have to force your cheek even more into the cheek piece which will kinda defeat the purpose. I'll measure my posts tomorrow and let you know.

When behind my rifle, I have very little pressure on my cheek. Enough to get a bit of bone on there and I have kinda fat squirrel cheeks. I have a different recoil situation than you though as my gun is a 6.5 CM. Pretty soft shooting, even without a brake. I'm real picky about stock fit on my guns. I spent about 20 years shooting 12 gauge shotguns at stupid little birds you can't eat and learned a lot about getting things right. You need it when you're shooting 600 targets on a 2 day weekend.

Personally for me once shooting with the cheek pad on, shooting without it is like going from two ply quilted back to generic single ply tp. Im too accustomed now. Also I lock in better and hold a more consistent cheek weld especially when firing multiple rounds. And ive got a greasy face in the summer and on a McMillan with the gel coat my face slides all over. Thanks for the info on this. Im picking up a t4a in the next few weeks and wasn't looking forward to wrapping a triad pad around the whole buttstock

When I ordered mine, they responded asking for some very specific measurements. the pads are made to order, I'm sure they would be willing to get you one for the TRG. Mine is very comfortable and for the craftsmanship the price is right on
209sydg.jpg

Strike

Thanks for info, gotta love those Manners, betcha that recoil pad makes the .308 shoot as smooth as silk. Will call Wiebad; how do they attach, 2 straps under the pad?

There are to wide pieces of very fine velcro on the bottom. The left side has two holes that the posts from the cheek pieces go through. The pad is wrapped around the cheek and then fastened underneath with the other velcro. it is very solid

There are to wide pieces of very fine velcro on the bottom. The left side has two holes that the posts from the cheek pieces go through. The pad is wrapped around the cheek and then fastened underneath with the other velcro. it is very solid

10-4.
Thanks