• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pads for plate carriers

mi650

Undergrad Rifle Shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 30, 2010
    Michigan
    When I bought plates and carriers for my wife and I, I didn't give much thought to pads, or how painful getting hit would be.

Started thinking about that a few months ago and looked into pads. They aren't terribly expensive, but being frugal (cheapskate when I can get away with it!) I tried to come up with cheaper options. Heading outside to shoot one day, it dawned on me: I have a shooting mat and an Army foam sleeping pad for extra cushion under it. Aha!! 💡

I went to the local Army Surplus store and bought another pad for $6.99. More than enough padding for both of us, and after getting into it, there was plenty for us both to double up on it.

Yea, it add a fair amount of thickness, about 1/2" front & back. But it adds next to nothing for weight, a few oz. total I think.

Anyone who wants to use my idea, contact me for my PP info, I'll only charge $25 for the use of my intellectual property. :cool:

I just took the level 3 pads out of my wife's vest and replaced hers with cardboard. That way I'm double protected and she won't ever know tills it's too late! Haha