• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Paddlefishing

omurnion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2009
Jordan, MT
My friend and I took his daughter paddlefishing yesterday on the Yellowstone River. After the take quota was filled, FWP allowed catch and release fishing. We had a great day and didn't take enough photos but here are a few.
paddlefishing2010002.jpg

I had to tag this male, 32 Lbs.
paddlefishing2010003.jpg

My buddies 54 Lbs female
paddlefishing2010007.jpg

His daughter with her first paddlefish, 33 Lbs.
paddlefishing2010011.jpg

Released this nice female
paddlefishing2010010.jpg

Another nice female I caught, my friend was nice enough to pose for a photo
paddlefishing2010015.jpg

One of many that my buddy caught

Re: Paddlefishing

Looks like a great time was had by all! What do you fish for those things with? Are they bottom feeders or what? Do you have to snag them? Never been fishing for any of those...

That doesn't look like your setting up a house... Looks like it was a good day!

They are biting on a size 8 Texas caddis. They are being finicky, but with the right presentation will take it pretty hard.

We use 9' rods with 50-60 pound test line, 8/0 treble hooks and 4oz weights. We snagged these, they are bottom feeders. I guess that they are related to sturgeon. They are a blast to catch. I think I'll step it up to some 80 pound power pro braided line next time I go, I was using 50 this trip and had some break it.

Eric, I'm trying to get some fun out of the way before I start building a house. I got a feeling that's about all I'm get done for the next year.

Dammit, Owen you find time to paddlefish but you wont go bear hunting with me.....I go bear hunting and no time to paddlefish....we need to change that next year!!.....laffin!

Them are some strange looking fish but I hear it is fun to catch them. Are they good eating?

I know Pat that is sad, I'm going to plant it all to winter wheat this fall, put my wife in charge of the livestock and go bear hunting for a change. As far as eating paddlefish goes you have to clean up the fillets really good and they are great. Scott does this contractor plumb,wire and like to go coyote hunting once in a while? Those are the job requirements.