• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pain/tingling sensation in arm when behind rifle

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I've been dry fire practicing a little bit to get comfortable behind my 6.5 creedmoor. When in prone position it feels like I'm really straining my wrist just to get the finger on the trigger, as my elbow has a sharp bend and my wrist also has a relatively sharp bend to get my index finger on the trigger. After a few minutes my wrist and forearm muscles start to tingle, like they are not getting enough blood flow.

I should mention that I don't have a lot of flexibility in my right wrist due to spraining my wrist years ago, though I can do pushups flat handed so my flexbility isn't too terrible. However, I've never experienced anything like this before so I'm a bit puzzled.

Do you guys have any tips or suggestions? Perhaps my form is incorrect?

Last edited:
If you can't get comfortable behind it any strain or tension is going to affect your accuracy in the end.

Do you have this problem on other rifles?

Trying to picture what you mean....but it sounds like the rifle is not an ideal fit for you.

Have you checked the sizing/LOP?

Lay the butt pad of the rifle in the crook of your elbow and lay the rifle along the flat of your arm. The trigger finger should fall naturally to the trigger when your forearm is straight and parallel to the stock. If you need to reach for the trigger or cramp your wrist up, then the size is too long or too short.

If you have limited flexibility in your wrist I would expect that any cramping of the joint would be best avoided.

Last edited:
You quite possibly are cutting off blood supply to an extent in your arm. causing the tingling. or you may be compressing a nerve in your arm at a contact point with the rifle or your elbow on the ground. using something to cushion this can relieve that, however it is a blood supply issue, a change in positioning will be needed.

Doubt your symptoms are due to lack of blood flow. Numbness and tingling usually secondary to nerve impingement. Given that you describe issues in forearm and wrist. The cause could be from elbow upto your neck and most likely do to your position.

You might have some arthritis in your neck like I do thats pinching a nerve, chiropractor may or may not be able to help that. Find a reputable one in your area unless you have one already.

The stock is an HS precision:

savage1.jpg

Basra,

According to your LOP test I'd say the butt stock is about 1-1.5" short.

Does anyone have any good links to videos or articles on different prone positions? I'd like to try some different shotting positions to see if I can find one that works.

Nerve impingement may be the problem as already noted. If that is taking place in the wrist or forearm you would most likely feel it in your fingers. Have you been painting recently?

Work on form and work on stretching that wrist out. Not sure what kind of shape you are in. If the injury happened a few years ago, you may have been guarding it for too long. Consult your doc, and he can get you some physical therapy. If that is not needed do some Aikido stretches, just check youtube there are a few you can try.

Work on form and work on stretching that wrist out. Not sure what kind of shape you are in. If the injury happened a few years ago, you may have been guarding it for too long. Consult your doc, and he can get you some physical therapy. If that is not needed do some Aikido stretches, just check youtube there are a few you can try.

My wife is a physical therapist and she uses kinesio tape on my sore body parts. Most therapist should be able to apply the tape or show you how to do it yourself. The stuff is a miracle on my tendonitis.

Last edited:
I smashed up my wrist many years ago and it was incorrectly set in a cast for two month. When it came out of the case I almost fainted and xclaimed "I look like a freak". Long story short - I have very limited flexability and I often have numbness and tingling in my wrist. When I shoot I fully support the butt stock with a rear support and hold the rifle very lightly with my strong side. Otherwise my wrist starts to nag me in short order. I usually shoot off my pack or using a tripod.

I experienced what your describing. Mine ended up being a nerve impingement in my neck, felt it down my shoulder, forearm, and thumb/first finger. It took about three months to completely work out and a few trips to a chiro. Also, if it is inflamed a good inflammatory, ice packs, and in my case ibuprofen helped. Do as much stretching as you can for you shoulders, back and neck. Good Luck.

I experienced what your describing. Mine ended up being a nerve impingement in my neck, felt it down my shoulder, forearm, and thumb/first finger. It took about three months to completely work out and a few trips to a chiro. Also, if it is inflamed a good inflammatory, ice packs, and in my case ibuprofen helped. Do as much stretching as you can for you shoulders, back and neck. Good Luck.

Compact45 is probably on the right track. One test you can do is stand up against a wall, in your normal posture. If the back of your head is 1" or more away from the wall, you could easily have nerve compression. Chiropractic work and a posture exercise can usually relieve this.

You could also have TOS, thoracic outlet syndrome. A MD or chiropractor could test for this, there are some simple test that you could find on online and Youtube.

It could be that you're putting pressure on the radial nerve, depending on how or what your elbow and inner forearm are against while shooting. If you get tingling and numbness only on the bottom half of the forearm and your pinky and ring fingers, that's the radial nerve. I found that out because I have had that issue when shooting prone while lying on concrete for long periods of time.

It could be that you're putting pressure on the radial nerve, depending on how or what your elbow and inner forearm are against while shooting. If you get tingling and numbness only on the bottom half of the forearm and your pinky and ring fingers, that's the radial nerve. I found that out because I have had that issue when shooting prone while lying on concrete for long periods of time.

Pinky and part of the ring finger is ulnar nerve. Usually the point of compression is at the elbow (funny bone) ... easy to put pressure on it when using that elbow for support. Prolonged/excessive flexion at the elbow can cause symptoms too. There exists a condition analagous to carpal tunnel syndrome (median nerve @ the wrist) called cubital tunnel syndrome.

Not sure if this image will hotlink, so here's the URL if it doesn't.

chap15-figure4.jpg

Might try temproarily adjusting your LOP by sticking some foam or something between your shoulder and the stock to see if that solves the issue its a quick easy thing to check and see if thats the issue to short of a LOP will definitely cause your arm to have to bend tighter and your wrist to have to bend back farther. If you can fix it by temporarily shimming the LOP out with foam or something like that then you should probably look at some sort of LOP adjustment system or maybe slide a limb saver recoil pad over your stock.

Gasdoc09 outlines the problem exactly. Positional numbness is always nerve compression. Circulatory compromise causes PAIN not numbness. Waste of time to see a doctor, unless the problem persists. You need to make adjustments to your shooting position until you're comfortable. Your previous wirst injury may make this more difficult. Good Luck!

Gasdoc09 outlines the problem exactly. Positional numbness is always nerve compression. Circulatory compromise causes PAIN not numbness. Waste of time to see a doctor, unless the problem persists. You need to make adjustments to your shooting position until you're comfortable. Your previous wirst injury may make this more difficult. Good Luck!

Agreed! But he stated "blood flow"..... so I threw it out there.