• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

PAINT!!! I want to go awesome

Trubester88

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Other than the cheesy title of my topic(maybe I should have included the word SEX) I want to hear what types of paint is best for my gun and different techniques for taping and coating to blend with my desert environment. Also how difficult is it to take the paint off? Thanks for any info.

Re: PAINT!!! I want to go awesome

Use the sandstone textured spray paint with 3 layers of matte clear over it.

Won't get much more natural than that.

Your best option for durability will be Cerakote. It is very hard to remove if you wanted to down the road. Duracoat is also a good option. It can be removed with a bit of time and effort.

Or just send it to ARP and let him paint it for you. My bet is it will come out looking alot better and he can do just about any camo or color combo you want to match your terrain.

As for the textured sandstone, I've not seen anybody paint a rifle with that. Sounds interesting. You have any pics?

Here ya go Trevor. One of my old coyote rigs that was actually base coated with the textured sandstone type paint.

Remington243_2.jpg

Well I'm going to have to give that a try. I've got a practice stock that will be my first attempt.

If you're short on money, krylon it, use and abuse it, then repaint as you see fit. Tape off anything you need kept clean and degrease it.

If not to worried about it being super durable look at some of the hydro dipped options too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _Shay_ ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're short on money, krylon it, use and abuse it, then repaint as you see fit. Tape off anything you need kept clean and degrease it. </div></div>

This. Cheap and easy and able you're able to change colors on a whim.

8541 Tactical has a tutorial on it if you feel like you want an example to look at:

http://www.8541tactical.com/rifle%20painting.php

Cool, thanks alot for all the info. At work, we are allowed to use Cerakote on our m-4's so i will stick with that for my personal rifle. I plan on keeping it in the desert for a while. What are the most important points to tape? Lens covers, ejection port, turrets, muzzle, anything else?

What is that pistol second from the bottom?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is that pistol second from the bottom?
</div></div>

Walther SP22

If you want to be able to take it off later, go with Krylon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(maybe I should have included the word SEX)

Photograph quality air brushed naked women.

Check out some of this outfits work.

http://www.killerpaint.com/gallery.html</div></div>

Your going to pay a hefty sum for that guys work. Is this going to be a dedicated range/bench gun that doesn't see any actual abuse?

I've paid to have a rifle dipped; it turned out nicely however I would not recommend it for a rifle that will get abused. I always krylon them now. If I beat them up it's easy to repaint. Plus I've used some rustoleum dull paints that give it texture. Plus if your AO changes, or you get bored with it you can paint it again!

Mikes work at KillerPaint will cost you more than a lot of rifles do hahahaha. If you like a bit of flair but are going to use the rifle then you are going to have to weight out cost versus flair. The big time airbrush artists are quite talented and their works take huge amounts of time to get to that level of detail and that is going to equate into a large sum of cash outlay. I am not a fan of dipping for a custom rifle. If it is a custom rifle then carry that right on out to the coating that goes on it and make that part custom too.

Cerakote is the way to go In my opinion! GAP did my 308 up in flat dark earth and it looks awesome. I myself did my AR with Duracoat. Not a bad product at all. I didnt really like the prevail sprayer that the duracoat kit comes with. Even though I cleaned the nozzle out between coats, it still spit and sputtered at times.
Out of the 2 of them, I think cerakote is a much superior product. Contact 30calsniper on here. He just painted up my nightforce and did an outstanding job. I will let no one other than him paint up my stuff.

Tape the turrets, close the dust cover, pack flash suppressor with cottonballs or otherwise plug bore, same inside the lense covers, cover or tape the front sight post, spray at will, do not spray directly up into the trigger mechanism.

Thank you all. Great pictures redirt and also Beef for the tape requirements. I love this site.

I have one thing to add. In the army, we used this stuff called "bowflage". It was removable camo spray paint for bow hunters and it was made by Hunters Specialties if I recall correctly and came in small cans. It wore better than you'd think for removeable paint.

I think they quit making it just when I was getting out and then everyone switched to Krylon (and desert colors). But I could swear I saw the stuff at the store a while back, so maybe it is back? Or someone else makes it? Worth a look anyway if you want removeable.

You can remove Krylon too, and those citrus gel strippers work pretty well without destroying the finish underneath. Usually.

I'm not in anymore so I'm gonna Duracoat a few. An airbrush blended digital. If I were gonna use it in the field I'd just Krylon it probably. Got it stripped and cleaned now... Never knew an FAL had so many parts! Wish me luck!

Always start off with a light base (I typically use a sand or light tan) and from there gradually go up in different colors, or with the light base alternate between a coyote tan and light green.

To achieve this awesomeness. One would have to call a superior artist. I would use:

30calsniper
ARPredatorHunter
Short-Bus

All members here on the hide.

All I've ever used is Krylon or a can of Brownell's as I use my rifles in the field, but some of the paint jobs in this thread are flat out art
shocked.gif

I do alot of custom airbrush work im getting ready to do an old rifle i just put together. lol takes alot of time i cant even afford myself anymore. krylon is great stuff easy to touch up . and cheap to do just takes your time. i just joined site lots of great info on here always learning.

Here's a question for those of you who use/recommend Krylon...

When I use Krylon, even the 'ultra flat' camo colors... I always end up with a glossy sheen. Might not be immediate, but just routine handling taking it in and out of a padded case seems to shine the dang thing up like the hood on a show car. Not exactly the desired effect!

Any suggestions (besides spraying it again - and again - and again)...

To prevent the polishing of the surface you could lay down the textured paint underneath and spray over that.

Unless its getting really shiny, like you get a glare off it I wouldn't worry about it. Think about it many things in nature have a sheen, leaves, evergreen needles, sand, rock, and obviously anything moist or wet.
Worst I've had is a light sheen, strangely the smooth surfaces of my AR have maintained a more matte finsh than my B&C stock which has a texture. The paints may have been different, the AR was rustoleum camo I think.