• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Painting Barrel and Action

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Has anyone had any luck at painting their own barrel? I have a stainless barrel and would like it to be a different color, but, really dont want to mess it up. What is the best route to take to get it a different color? Send off for cerakote or duracote?

Just looking for any tips or ideas.

Thanks,

Re: Painting Barrel and Action

I used alumahyde on my last one, I liked it, esp considering the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johninok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used alumahyde on my last one, I liked it, esp considering the cost. </div></div>

Thanks! How has it held up and what did you have to do to prep the surface?

I used krylon as a base paint and modle paints for the weeds.
I wont "bake" any on mine as I could change it a year from now or never.
Holding up very well with all the rough usage I put the rifle through as I dont baby my stuff I use it!
Nothing better than matching the gun to terrain.
COcoyotes011_zpsa6520690.jpg

I was asked this by a customer earlier in the week. He opted for the cerakote but this is how I explained it to him. If you are looking for a finish to truly camouflage the rifle for the surroundings and it will be used in the field heavily, hitting it with some spray paint should def be considered. The benefit being low price, respray for changes in environment, snow sand foliage etc, and finally touch ups are cheap and easy.

One thing to consider is through very hard use cerakote will scratch and wear. Its far superior to paint but if you want to be able to change colors frequently its handy to run to Walmart.

If the rifle won't be thrown around in the back of a pickup truck or drug down the road then cerakote is a great option as it will not scratch as easily during normal handling

the alumahyde wears real good under normal use, hunting, in and out of truck, riding in front seat, etc. Took awhile to cure, think i just wiped the whole thing down with brake cleaner and sprayed, that was it.

I did my action in alumahyde about 4 years ago. Many trips to the range and matches. Its held up great. Its a little glossy. The sell the matte clear coat too for over top but I tried that once and it came out glossy. Maybe I had a bad can.

Real easy to apply just follow the directions. Also used it on a 22 pistol on plastic and it has held up well there too. Can't complain really for the amount of abuse that gun has had over the years.

I do all of mine in H-series cerakote. Frank had a video on this quite awhile back. Lay down a base color of H-series cerakote. Then do your camo pattern over that with your krylon paint and when you want to change your camo pattern, use brake clean to strip your krylon off.

Kc

Might want to consider hitting what you plan on spraying with a light scuffy pad. Give the paint a better bite. If its shinny just make it a little dulled. You dont want to go to course and leave scratches.

I like the idea of krylon over cerakote

I started out using rustoleum(just my preference over krylon)
Moved on to duracoat. It's pretty tough,but it takes a million years to cure(four weeks,or more,if it's humid)
Stir it instead of using the mixing ball or it may come out glossy.
Now I like to do my own cerakote in the garage.
It can take a good beating(it'll still get scratched eventually), and using acetone to strip any spraypaint off wouldn't harm it.
I think I'll be busting out the rustoleum again soon........

Best thing about krylon-if you don't like it, do it over

I used Rusoleum Ultra flat paint as I compared it to Krylon and the Rustoleum dried with a flatter finish.

I took the stock and barreled action apart and hung them up with some picture hanging wire in the garage.

-Wiped down everything with acetone to remove all oils and lubes.

-3 base coats of tan, using a blowdryer to dry as fast as possible and this makes it dry even more flat.

-Then shot some OD green and Brown through an old laundry bag.

2CC54AD1-F268-4803-95D0-4E4DE7BDABED-17528-000014424A0D6593.jpg

I've used Duracoat and didn't have great results with the south Alabama humidity. That was my fault, I realized I needed something more beginner friendly. My Rustoleum guns look better but they don't last as long.

It mainly depends on what you are doing. If you need to change the color then Rustoleum is perfect. I was a little nervous with my first Rustoleum job but it really does work great, and cheap.

Also I have had request to paint 4 other guns from friends and family. They all think it did a really good job and the guns keep coming. I think I've done 6 guns now with the original cans of paint; multi camo scheme.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AirborneFO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I have had request to paint 4 other guns from friends and family. They all think it did a really good job and the guns keep coming. I think I've done 6 guns now with the original cans of paint; multi camo scheme.</div></div>

any pics?

I am about to do my Rem 5R barrel and action with self-etching primer and then Aluma-hyde II from Brownells. I don't like bright shiny stainless visible on my rifle. I ordered the paint, but after reading on the Aluma Hyde, I think I should wait for hotter weather for painting to cut down on the curing time. I measured my barrel and receiver and it will just fit in my oven with a couple of inches to spare, but I'll have to figure out how to suspend it in there without messing up the new paint.

Last edited: