• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Painting Cordura pack material?

9H_Cracka

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
WAY off base (COS CO)
Have any of you guys had success painting Cordura pack material with a spray bomb? Are you aware of any deterioration/damage issues with certain paints?

I painted a stock pack a few years ago and have been using it no problem but it is thicker stuff. Just wondering about backpacks.

Thanks!!

Re: Painting Cordura pack material?

I use Krylon and it works fine for breaking the shape. Fine mist though.

Thanks - send a message off to one of the domestic pack makers. I'll post back what they say as well.

Well the masters have spoken:

"Update for Case #314 - "painting a pack"

We do not recommend painting your pack. We have no experience with how the paint will affect the Cordura fabric. Doing so will void your warranty.
Sincerely,

Andrew Crow
Mystery Ranch Backpacks
[email protected]"

it won't hurt it, but i'm surprised they would drop you off warranty like that.

Talk to glen @ eberlstock and see what he says, i'm sure he's seen painted ones come back from iraq for service/repair.

RIT Clothing dye. I purchsed some at wal-mart in green,brown,and black, along with three little windex type spray bottles. The dye is in liquid or powder form. Mark your bottles with the approprite color cause with your naked eye its difficult to tell the diff.Works great on lighter colored absorbent materials or fabrics.
And it works enough on Cordura type materials to make subtle hues, or stains.If your starting with a light base color.

I am a custom gear maker.

Krylon sticks to nylon. Used it TONS on my own gear over the years, in Stan and on a bunch of other guys gear too.
I have painted cordura before and after sewing it. It is FINE.
Older Krylon was a temporary fix, it would start to rub and scrape here and there. No sweat, just touch it up. The solvents and propellants in it do not harm the cordura. (One fear a maker would have about your using it.)

I have not used it on cordura YET, but their Fusion line should bond to the cordura better than the old stuff. It does very well on other plastics.

Why they would void the warranty.
A company the size of Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, etc will want to protect themselves from liability from someone doing something nuts and trying to blame them. "All I did was wash it in gasoline and it blew me up when I lit a smoke."

With my TQ's I have to include a legal disclaimer saying "do not apply to neck or throat."

As said above, lite mists and let it dry in between misting. When you get what you want, let it sit in the sun for a few days. It will smell VERY STRONGLY of paint for a while. Just let it air out and the smell will go away.

Good luck with your project.

spray is better than brush though, if its too thick you'll have paint cracking off in chunks, shiny, loud and annoying.

Understand that Cordura is frequently treated with a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) finish. If this is the case with your pack I seriously doubt a water based dye like Rit is going to work.

I have painted rucks and drag bags for years. A light dusting of Krylon will not hurt it in the slightest. I am sure Mystery Ranch replied in CYA mode.