• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes painting or dipping a scope

henke4310

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
North Dakota
Looked around a little and found alot of pictures of scopes painted or dipped and like how they look but im wondering if there is any danger in doing this. also would you paint where the rings contact the scope? I have a nightforce nxs and dont really want to make a $1800 mistake. any tips would be great thanks guys.

Re: painting or dipping a scope

also wondering if painting the base and rings where the contact would affect how the "bolt up" they are seekins

I've painted scopes with them mounted so the camo pattern matches and I don't have to worry about paint between the scope and rings. I put my butler creek covers on and tape the magnification numbers, turrets, and anything else I dont want painted. I've done three rifles/scopes like this with no problems. I also paint the inside of the scope covers and sunshade prior to putting them on the scope.

i was faced with the same situation right before Christmas. I aquired a used aimpoint m4 that was a little scuffed up. I opted to have it professionally dipped.. it came out amazing and was less than $50.. also, if they mess it up, I would hope they would take responsibility for it and make the situation right.

Try using the cerakote its not that hard to spray with the proper paint gun. You can buy the stuff from Brownells or NIC Indistries.

another thing i thought of. If i do paint the scope with the rings and base on would i be able to take the scope off or would the paint bond them together and peal off when i do take it off?

I would contact todd at Phantom Finishing

He did my rifle and scope and turned out great. He will tell you the skinny on the Pro's and Con's -- and that is a NightForce NXS scope.

DSC_0069-c.jpg

I checked with NightForce and they said it would be no issue.. the only issue that they mentioned was that as long as the paint has not accumulated so much so when they put it on the calibration equpment that it would still close ... they were very helpful.

But I urge that you make the same call so that you feel comfortable.

that looks fantastic thanks for the reference
did it affect the bedding at all by having the action painted?

nope ... Todd is a true professional ... did not affect anything.