• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing painting stainless steel

ptykozoon

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
i was wanting to paint my stainless steel action and barrel black, but i want it to have no chipping/corrosion. I would think this would be impossible (especially to paint the action)
has anyone done this? pics? is there a place to get this professionally done?

Re: painting stainless steel

You're kidding, right?

Have looked at any of the picture threads?

BTW, stainless and blue steel paint the same.

lol sry i just hopped on a paint thread. looks possible ha

Soniasriflereadyforpickup.jpg

1916830 - Black
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-1916830-Camouflage-Spray-12-Ounce/dp/B0009XB3NQ

I built a light weight 243 rifle for a 14 year old girl and painted the stainless steel barrel with this paint.
It contains Toluene.
That is not edible finger paint for kids, that carrier that evaporates is toxic stuff.
Stand up wind when spraying.

Lothar Walther barrels are so polished, that spray paint peels off.
They are so polished, they slip in the 4-jaw chuck in the lathe, if I don't rough them up with sand paper where the jaws touch.
Bead blasted barrels soak up paint like fresh plowed ground soaks up piss.

What does it all mean?
Rough up the surface, and the paint will last.

I painted the Stainless barrel of my 40X with Aluma-HydeII. The only prep I did was to spray it down with Automotive Brake Parts Cleaner to de-grease it. It's holding up Great! I know it's suggested to blast the metal or rough it up for better adhesion but it wasn't a "Polished" finish to begin with so I just sprayed it.

The uneven look is just from my greasey mits! When it's clean it looks even.
xqdgtc.jpg