• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Paper Logs/Bricks as alternate fuel source?

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
In light of recent events and people being without heat/power for well over two weeks. I've been thinking of being more prepared should this shit happen again, which I know it will.

Do any of you guys burn paper bricks/logs in your fireplaces or wood stoves? If so, what is your opinion on them, worth the time or is it a waste of time?

How long does the average size brick burn for?

They seem fairly easy to make and best of once you get up and running it won't cost a dime. Would you guys recommend getting one of the brick presses available online ($30) or just make your own?

Wouldn't mind stockpiling these to supplement the woodpile if they work out.

Re: Paper Logs/Bricks as alternate fuel source?

My grandfather burned "rolled up newspaper logs" in the woodstove in his garage, for years. They work best as a "supplement" to an already burning wood fire. If there's a good amount of heat and fire in the box already, then these'll burn. If you try to 'start' a fire with a newspaper log, then it'll just smolder and go out.

These 'bricks' that you're speaking of, are new to me.

I drive diesel trucks, (two F-250s and a Diesel JD 40-20).

They go though a lot of oil so I end up with a lot of waste oil.

I use to roll up newspapers, tie them with old baling twine and soak them in used diesel oil, let them dry and they burn a long time.

Smell too bad for a fire place but ok in a wood stove.

But wood is to plentiful around here, and I don't take any news papers so I don't fool with it any more.

Yea this is new to me too. I've been trying to research it and so far getting mixed reviews. I don't think they're good for starting a fire but if you have a good bed of coals going then it seems like they will burn completely

Here is a video on how to make them. Its rather long so if you want to see the end product just skip to the 9 minute mark.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRxOo-QjzhE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRxOo-QjzhE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Didn't think of soaking them in fuel or oil. Not a bad idea.

Figure these would be a good supplement to traditional wood, once you get a good fire going. Speaking of wood, what are the schools of thought out there on seasoning firewood? Do you guys even bother, if so for how long do you season the wood before you burn it? I've read anywhere from 3 months to a year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if so for how long do you season the wood before you burn it?</div></div>

That depends on the wood. Here there is a lot of spruce. Also a lot of fires and bark beattles killing trees.

Cut down fire kill this winter and its ready next. Beattle kill takes a bit longer.

Free standing (dead) trees last longer then down trees. Once they start to rot, they still burn but they don't put out much hear.

Cut and stack green spruce, let it set for a season and its perfect the next. It drys better if its split before stacking.

We don't have much hard wood so I can't say much about that.

I burned a lot of green spruce when I lived in Alaska, it works but doesn't put out the heat season wood does. Also watch for pitch. About once a week throw an empty (alum) pop can in your fire. As it burns it cleans the creasol out of the stove pipe.

Wood is no problem here. If it was I'd drive to the coal mines (we have lots in this part of the state) where I could get free coal.

I'll stick to wood though, it smells better. Nothing smells better then a good wood fire.

I have glass doors on my wood stove. I can set for hours drinking coffee and thinking about fires past.

Seasoning is really just drying. You just get less heat out if energy is spent boiling off the water that's stuck in the logs, otherwise if it'll burn, burn it!

Perhaps this is old hat, but: The smaller you split it, the more surface area is exposed to air, the faster it dries. Stack it someplace warm and protected from the elements, and it dries even faster. Keep it in direct sunlight during the summer and it'll dry even faster. If splitting in the winter, then keeping it dry and exposed to good airflow (dry air) is good. Rules-of-thumb are so dependent on multiple factors, that I believe them to be worthless, but a year, imho, is overkill if you split it small enough, stack it right and open to airflow, and don't let the snow/rain pile on it. 3 months, though, is likely to be tricky based on gut-feel.

The best thing, I've found, is to seek out the dead-but-standing or recent dead-fall trees. Typically bone dry and going to go to waste anyway!

Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing smells better then a good wood fire.</div></div>

+1

Last summer's "derecho" storm blew down a couple of locust "gum" trees behind my house. About 18" by 50 feet, I cut one up into firebox-sized pieces and split half a month or more ago. Burns hot, burns long. Got a Holzhaus stack in the yard, about to cut up the other tree. Two cords of last year's wood under the deck. I got a gut feeling it's going to be a long cold winter. Hope the EPA NAZIs will let me use my low-particulate output firebox.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biglakesrule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found this a while ago and still refer to it often just cuz I like data: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm </div></div>

Thanks for that. I like data too, and it was useful.

I just cut up and hauled about 30 feet of and 18" diameter locust tree this afternoon, ready for the splitter. And there's more out there. I'll wait until my son comes home from college this week, twist his arm a little for some help.

Paper logs/bricks sound like a good alternative at this point.

We burn oak around here. Plenty of green standing timber. We usually don't burn all we cut each season. The older wood is used to help get the fire started, then lay some green logs/sticks on for longer hotter burn. The 8" diameter by 16" long pieces are "night sticks".