• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Pappy van winkle

8E9BB0D2-866D-4C40-BEA3-699EFAE2139B.jpeg

I’ll just hang out over here in the poor section.

a bottle of 23 year is $270 and the 15 year is less.....but you are placed on a lottery system by buffalo trace....the $1-$3k price tags you see are just the markup after the initial purchase.

bench

Va ABC lottery at Christmas was running about 30 to 36K entries for each offering......

Texas gets more Weller than any other state. Keep looking and you should find some, may just take some time. Failing that, I can get one for you and ship it your way.

I appreciate it, may take you up on that. I am in the lubbock area and see Weller special reserve all over the place, even picked up a 12 recently but have not found the 107 at all, they usually just laugh when I ask for it

I have heard a lot of good about the old forester 1920, I’ll probably pick one of those up soon.

I have heard a lot of good about the old forester 1920, I’ll probably pick one of those up soon.

Grabbed a bottle of OF 1920 a few weeks ago. Its very good. It's been my daily drinker since I bought it. I'll be grabbing a few more bottles. It was $58.

Alcohol prices down there are a crime. Lived in Melbourne for 4 months back in 2018. Glad I brought a suitcase full of bourbon with me.

It's solid stuff. Not my favorite, but worth the money for sure. Other great things in the same quality/proof range and at the same or less money are Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Maker's Mark Private Select, 1792 Full Proof, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed (which is probably one of the best values out there; I'd take it over 1920 all day).

Reactions: Barneybdb
Next trip over there will NOT be winter, and I will be thirsty. Which state are you in mate? I need to catch up with a few more hide members next time.
Well, right now I am splitting time between Wyoming and Northern California. But the bar is in CA right now, so there you go.

I appreciate it, may take you up on that. I am in the lubbock area and see Weller special reserve all over the place, even picked up a 12 recently but have not found the 107 at all, they usually just laugh when I ask for it
Go to Specs Thursday afternoon. That's when they get their shipment. I've gotten 2 OWAs there this year.

It's solid stuff. Not my favorite, but worth the money for sure. Other great things in the same quality/proof range and at the same or less money are Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Maker's Mark Private Select, 1792 Full Proof, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed (which is probably one of the best values out there; I'd take it over 1920 all day).
I'm the exact opposite, not a fan of Rare Breed. It's just ok to me.

If you have the opportunity to visit the greater Lexington KY area there are some very nice bourbons that don’t have national attention yet. PVW is good, but it’s kinda like Cuban cigars, not necessarily better than DOm republic, just rare.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 64
If you have the opportunity to visit the greater Lexington KY area there are some very nice bourbons that don’t have national attention yet. PVW is good, but it’s kinda like Cuban cigars, not necessarily better than DOm republic, just rare.
Which distillery are you referring to? Nothing in that photo is closer to Lexington than Buffalo Trace...

Reactions: BigTex
Which distillery are you referring to? Nothing in that photo is closer to Lexington than Buffalo Trace...
That’s why I said “greater Lexington area” as a generalization. Wilderness trail is in Danville, Bardstown is Bardstown, rabbit hole is Louisville, Col Taylor, Frankfort, Elija Craig is Bardstown. And my “kinda hard to find” go to of choice Blantons is Frankfort. I like it A LOT

Thanks for the heads up. Does any of the lubbock area stores get a decent allotment of pappy?
Specs does, but you have to be on the list. You have to have 5000 specs points, in other words, spend 5k @ Specs to get on the list. They get good allotments of everything.

Kinda dumb, but it is what it is.

If you just want a glass, hit up Capital Pizza. They have it all.

Reactions: clinto
That’s why I said “greater Lexington area” as a generalization. Wilderness trail is in Danville, Bardstown is Bardstown, rabbit hole is Louisville, Col Taylor, Frankfort, Elija Craig is Bardstown. And my “kinda hard to find” go to of choice Blantons is Frankfort. I like it A LOT
Gotcha. Yeah the photo just threw me off. Thought you were maybe referring to Town Branch right there in Lexington.

Have been to the Bundaberg distillery a couple of times and taken the tour, need to book a motel room first, the sampling puts you way over the limit to continue driving.

I've never had any of the pappy products, but before i ponied up even retail prices for it, i would make sure that i liked wheated bourbons in general. The only wheated ones i have tried have been larceny and makers 46. (I'm sure I've had standard makers in the past but that was when i was young and dumb and didn't really like whiskey) For me, the larceny was way better than the 46 at about half the price. I'll never buy makers 46 again, and it makes me hesitant to buy other higher end wheaters without trying them at a bar or from a friend first.

Grabbed a bottle of OF 1920 a few weeks ago. Its very good. It's been my daily drinker since I bought it. I'll be grabbing a few more bottles. It was $58.

1920 is one of my favorites. My local liquor store has a store pick single barrel from old forester that is also very good. I'll definitely be trying more of the old forester lineup in the future.

You’ve got some really good rum down there to make up for it as I recall. Bunderburg Black
The single malt is where it's at in Australia. Pricey, but it's the best thing they make (other than fortified wines).
I've never had any of the pappy products, but before i ponied up even retail prices for it, i would make sure that i liked wheated bourbons in general. The only wheated ones i have tried have been larceny and makers 46. (I'm sure I've had standard makers in the past but that was when i was young and dumb and didn't really like whiskey) For me, the larceny was way better than the 46 at about half the price. I'll never buy makers 46 again, and it makes me hesitant to buy other higher end wheaters without trying them at a bar or from a friend first.
Not exactly apples to apples comparing Maker's 46 to anything in the Van Winkle lineup. For one, M46 isn't bourbon, it's class type 641 - Whiskey Specialty, i.e. it's flavored with additional staves. Second, that's like comparing Barefoot Cab to Caymus (which is the Pappy of red wine IYAM). The better route is to just go to a bar and order a half pour. If you can't imagine your life without a bottle of that, then pop for it.

Have been to the Bundaberg distillery a couple of times and taken the tour, need to book a motel room first, the sampling puts you way over the limit to continue driving.

I used to get down that way a little. Always wanted to go the the distillery but never did. There were always to many other “distractions”.

dropped my last bottle of Bunderburg black heading to the airport to fly home for the last time. Haven’t had any since.

The single malt is where it's at in Australia. Pricey, but it's the best thing they make (other than fortified wines).

Not exactly apples to apples comparing Maker's 46 to anything in the Van Winkle lineup. For one, M46 isn't bourbon, it's class type 641 - Whiskey Specialty, i.e. it's flavored with additional staves. Second, that's like comparing Barefoot Cab to Caymus (which is the Pappy of red wine IYAM). The better route is to just go to a bar and order a half pour. If you can't imagine your life without a bottle of that, then pop for it.

You're right about the 46. Wasn't sure how much the different finishing actually made a difference. I was just saying, before you go out and spend pappy money, try something that is at least similar in style, assuming pappy would be a better version of that. Better yet, as you said, try the real thing if you can find it.

Wel the good thing for Pappy drinkers is the pappy crazyiness has been going strong for the past 4-5 years. I'd like to think that they increased production due to demand so we only need to wait another 10-15 years before we see the prices come back to earth. LOl That's the thing with whiskey....it truly is a waiting game.

Two years from now, you will find out this is bottom shelf bourbon cut with a carboy of grain alcohol and aged in old Jim Beam barrels. Actual value of the product is 5 bucks a gallon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,enjoy it though.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Two years from now, you will find out this is bottom shelf bourbon cut with a carboy of grain alcohol and aged in old Jim Beam barrels. Actual value of the product is 5 bucks a gallon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,enjoy it though.
Only in your dreams....

However, it is true (also blasphemous) that Jameson's is mixed with some neutral spirits at bottling.

Only in your dreams....

However, it is true (also blasphemous) that Jameson's is mixed with some neutral spirits at bottling.
Great reason to avoid any blended whiskeys, whether they be from Ireland, Scotland, or the US.

Only in your dreams....

I've been thinking of trying a good Irish whiskey. I'm a bourbon guy, but i haven't really branched out into other styles of whiskey. I tried a shooter sized bottle of Tullamore Dew and it wasn't bad, but it was just very bland. Almost no flavor at all compared to the bourbons I'm used to drinking. Any suggestions for $30-$40 a bottle? Same with scotch. I tried some random one a while back and it made me want to vomit. What's a good scotch that isn't too intense that a bourbon drinker might like?

I have had a drink out of a 300 dollar bottle of Scotch and had the same reaction as you did, I just don’t like it

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
I've been thinking of trying a good Irish whiskey. I'm a bourbon guy, but i haven't really branched out into other styles of whiskey. I tried a shooter sized bottle of Tullamore Dew and it wasn't bad, but it was just very bland. Almost no flavor at all compared to the bourbons I'm used to drinking. Any suggestions for $30-$40 a bottle? Same with scotch. I tried some random one a while back and it made me want to vomit. What's a good scotch that isn't too intense that a bourbon drinker might like?

I think they’re all kinda bland compared to bourbon. In the $30 to $40 there just isn’t anything that sticks out to me. Go higher and try Redbreast.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker