• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Para Ordnance Pistols

bribri

Always Smooth
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    I did a search and didn't have much success. If any of you Para owners have anything good or bad to say about their 1911 lineup, I'm all ears. The main reason I am looking at a Para is because I want a 1911 in 9mm. This will not be a self defense or a concealed carry gun, it will just be used to shoot steel and carry it with me when hunting. To be model specific I am looking at the LTC.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=72

Re: Para Ordnance Pistols

I have aPara P14 Limited purchased in 1996.It has been good ever since.I did have a gunsmith friend of mine convert it to a series 70 instead of 80.MIM perts are also gone.

I have a p10. Great gun, and para customer service is great. I bought the gun used. After firing several thousand rounds the recoil spring broke. I contacted them and also told them I needed a new extrator as mine had some wear. They sent me the parts no charge, and no questions asked. Got the parts in less than a week.

I have a P14.45 I picked up new through a friend a few years ago. It's a limited edition, with a light rail and night sights. Not my favorite pistol. Overall fit and finish is OK, but they skimped on certain parts. Plastic beavertail and trigger to start. They also sent it with the wrong rear sight as it's too tall causing it to hit 3" high at 15 yds. The pistol functions well, no malfunctions, but I only have about 800 rounds through it. I'm just glad I got it at a hell of a deal.

If you're going to get one, make sure you look it over hard at the dealer before you lay down the cash.

Para customer service, on the entry, is good but they still have one of my weapons, a Para TTR I sent them for service 10 weeks ago. It's hard to get a hold of the rep if at all, and they won't return emails. The last I heard from them was 3 1/2 weeks ago saying their service times were running 5-7 weeks turnaround. I'm overseas and won't be home again for another month, so I'm just hoping it's back by then. They were really quick to take back the weapon for the service though, and they now have a full lifetime guarantee on their weapons so at least I'm not paying for anything.

Maybe others are fans of them and have good experiences, but I'm not one of them.

They can be hit and miss.

I see a lot of newer shooters try to save a buck and get a Para instead of an STI or SVI.

Two years later they are driving a STI.

I have an early 2000 model P12-45 that i love. shoots great, just had to put it in the shop due to a worn sear catching the hammer halfway through the drop...other than that i love the thing.

Paras were really popular in the past.

They are decent from the factory, but given the option, I'd probably choose a Springfield, STI, etc., before I'd buy one.

The STI Spartan is $600, available in 9mm, and probably nicer than anything else at its price point.

I'd definitely buy a Para before I bought any Taurus.

bri,

I was in your same position a few months ago. I think the STI Spartan is alot of bang for the buck.

If it were me (and I know its not), I would look very hard at the Dan Wesson Guardian. It has a bobtail frame which I have become very fond of. I'm not a 1911 expert but did alot of research and have been very pleased with the Guardian. So much so, I purchased another Dan Wesson bobtail in 45.

I got both DWs sent to my local FFL dealer (who happens to specialize in custom 1911 pistols) and he claimed that the parts and craftsmanship were exceptional and he couldn't get over how crisp the trigger was.

Just my $.02. If you are interested or want more information PM me and I will tell you who I got both of mine from and how to get the best price.

Hope this helps!

PatrickChewing

The only Para I messed with was a double stack in .45 ACP. Wasn't impressed but to each his own. I have carried Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, and Kimber. For the Money I was very impressed with the Dan Wesson. What it comes down to is what you want and not what a bunch of guys on forum have to say.