• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Part 2- Best option for building my 260 for 1000yd

RodneyDowns

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm looking to build a new rifle for up to 1000yrd competition. Possibly some F-Class competitions also.

Some quotes from a previous post that pertains to this subject. Then the question of options.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was about to order the parts to build a rifle for shooting at this 100/ 600/ 1000yd shootout http://www.utahtactical.org/ . and other local competitions. I have been a varmint hunter for 20 years but tactical shooting is a new sport for me.
I had decided on a Savage short action 260 Rem with a 28" bull barrel. It needs to have a DBM because at least one of the local comps requires a mag change during the shootout.
I also need to figure out a decent stock for tactical shoots with a 28" Bull barel (around 1" I believe)

Any advice is appreciated. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, I typed out a long reply with some options I thought you might want to consider.
Then I had an Epiphany. I remembered that Savage has introduced new rifles in both .260 and 6.5 creedmore.
Low and behold, they offer a model 12 precision in an HS Precision stock with the target accutrigger.

It is offered in .243, 6.5 creedmore and .260 remington.

It has a 26" barrel, a little longish, but very usable.

This, basically, is EXACTLY what you are looking for, right out of the box.
Personally, I would probably go for the 6.5 CM since there is factory match ammo available for a very reasonable price and the recipe for that load is printed right on the side of the box. </div></div>
I dont use factory ammo ever so that last part doesnt matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fdkay- I looked at the Savage LRP. I can get one for right around 900.00 new I believe. From the same dealer I was planning on getting the Action, a 28" SS Bull barrel with no fluting (like the LRP has) the lighter spring for the accutrigger which lets you take it down to 1.5lbs (for $10.00)An upgraded machined Lug to the factory Savage Lugs for a total of 664.00 That leaves me a couple hundred+ left over to find the exact stock I want. I like the HS presicion but I know there are others out there I like better. And thats better than buying the LRP and replacing the stock with something more adjustable.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oregon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There are other good Savages, while the 12LRP seems purpose built to be exactly what you seek. Do you want to take time to play around building or get shooting a great gun? The more you shoot with it before those competitions the better you will do. Looking back you will be happy if you go with a thick barreled Savage. Here is a link to its picture in 3600 x 709 huge size:

Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Picture (mouse to rifle click when get + sign)

Shop around with local major retailers who have volume with Savage who you want to do business with. See if you can special order new at a good price. That way you would have some sort of 'factory' accuracy guarantee built in and could work with them if have any issues to move forward most quickly. Do you want to score good or take extra time to build something? If build the rifle will never have as much resale value. Shooting is a hobby. People often change caliber and main personal activities over time even when have the best intentions to do it forever going in - so it is best to have something you can sell off for the most return if ever feel the desire to do something else.

An out-of-the box 10 FCP HS Precision is a very accurate rifle with a better than Remington twist in 308 to shoot often than either the 260 rem or 6.5 CM. While the 6.5CM is best for targets out at 1000m if money is no object. Get good optics as out past 500m is where the inexpensive stuff you may find doesn't work as well. Do not have experience with the exact gun being discussed while seems the 12LRP would be a rifle for you to think long and hard about based on your OP.
</div></div>
10FCP IS a nice rifle but only in 308 so it doesnt apply.

Right now, I see three options.

<span style="font-weight: bold">#1- I buy a factory new Savage LRP </span>http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP
*Target Action
*Target Accutrigger adjustable down to 6oz.
*26" carbon steel fluter blued barrel
*HS Presicion stock
Price $875.00

<span style="font-weight: bold">#2- Buy a Savage LRP action and add on</span>
*Target Action
$425.00
*28" SS Bull barrel 1-8 twist $270
*My choice of tactical stock $300.00 (or less)
*upgraded CNC machined lug $29.00
Price $1024.00 (+ or - a bit depending on stock)

<span style="font-weight: bold">#3- Buy a standard Savage short action and add on</span>
*Standard action with accutrigger
*lighter trigger spring adjustable down to 1.5 lb
$345.00
*28" SS Bull barrel 1-8 twist $270
*My choice of tactical stock $300.00 (or less)
*upgraded CNC machined lug $29.00
Price $942.00 (+ or - a bit depending on stock)

<span style="font-weight: bold">#4- Buy LRP and switch barrels</span>
*Target Action
*26" carbon steel fluter blued barrel
*HS Presicion stock
Take off factory barrel and sell for 250-275.00 Buy 28" SS bull barrel for 270.00
Roughly the same price dependin on barrel sale
Price $875.00
The problem here is I'm stuck with the HS Precision that I dont like as muchas some other AND I'm not sure what the channel is or whether the bull barrel will fit in it.
I guess I could sell this stock also and buy a different one.
possibly same end result as option #2 but a lot more work but possible savings of around 150.00.

If money wasnt an issue I'd opt for #2 I think.

Any other options you guys can think of are welcome (in this price range)
Requirements are Savage short action/light trigger. All other options up in the air.
Reccomendations on stocks would help also.

Thanks

Note: Money in hand is curently $650.00 I can spend right now to get started. (or is it better to just wait and get it all at once if -IF im building one?)

Re: Part 2- Best option for building my 260 for 1000yd

The only thing I see "wrong" with your options is this:

You have a budget of 300 dollars for your stock.

That leaves you with the following options:
Choate, not a bad stock, especially the "tactical" model

B&C, the ONLY aluminum bedding block stock they offer is the varmint/tactical model. It is a good stock, but the forend is a big block and does not sit well in the hand for carrying, it is also a bit heavy

HS Precision good stock, but we know where you stand on this

Stockade stocks IF you get the money saver and finish it yourself.

Everything else starts over 400 and goes up from there.

Your cartridge choice is excellent, your choice of the savage is fine. I have a model 12 in a B&C stock, it is heavy but shoots well.
BUT in my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, is this:
If you opt to buy the bare action, add a barrel, add a stock, etc... the stock that you end up with is going to be very similar to the HS Precision stock any way.

Also, you speak of "tactical" type matches a 28" bull barrel is overly long, though not unusable, and it is overly heavy. You do not need, nor want, a bull barrel. The varmint weight barrel as comes on the Model 12 I originallly recommended is very close to the optimal contour for this type of shooting. Heavy is nice from the bench or prone, but when you start carrying it around and shooting from various field positions, it is too much of a good thing.

Do you already own the tools to install the barrel onto the action?
If not, add another 200 plus dollars or add the cost of a gunsmith installing it for you.

I would love to see a pic of your setup. The B&C varmint Tactical is one of the stocks I was lookng at. I dont have a problem with the wide forend and may prefer it for this rifle. And like you say this rifle with a 28" barel isnt a typical "Tactical" rifle. More of an F-Class rifle.
B&C also makes the "Medalist light Tactical" with full length aluminium bedding.
I'm assuming you like the B&C stock more than a standard HS Precision stock. Even though its not adjustable I like it.

It also may end up that I'll have to save up a bit more for a nicer adjustable stock but I need to figure out how I plan to build this 1st.

this shootout is the type I'm looking at right now:
http://www.utahshootouts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=74
Clint runs it and when I talked to him he mentioned he shoots a 16lb rifle with a 28" barrel and that the winners are usually, if not always shooting 6mm -6.5mm rifles with 28-30" barrels.
These guys have a shootout the 2nd weekend of every month.
If I get into the matches elsewhere requiring more manuverability I meay have to look at a 2nd barrel and stock for this rifle. Thats the good thing about savage (And why I went with savage) is the ability to swap barrels myself with just a few tools. And to answer your last question, I dont yet have all the tools needed for swaping savage barrels but several shooters I know at the range do. And at least 2 have a machine shop.
smile.gif

The light tactical is a remington stock only.

One thing I forgot to mention that is VERY important. The B&C stocks are solid bottom, you would have to get it inletted for magazines. This pretty much limits you to the AICS.
209 bucks for the bottom metal, 60 bucks plus shipping for the inlet at least 55 a pop for the mags (c products).

The only stock they catalog for the Savage with a full length bedding block is the varmint/tactical (at least according to theit website).

The two rifles I have with HS stocks are both remingtons.
I did check out a savage rifle at the range with the HS stock, it was considerably lighter but the profile was very similar.
It was the 10 FPLE or whatever in .308. Completely stock with a falcon menace 4-14, it shot VERY well.

The LE model HS stock is a different configuration than the model 12 stock, fwiw, you COULD order the model 12 with the other stock directly from Savage through your FFL.

FWIW, I went to a Rem 5R because it is lighter and provides a hinged floorplate. The Savage I have is a blind mag job.

You have another option.
Savage-Stevens, go to your local mega-sport shop and buy a short action stevens rifle, it is a savage action without the accutrigger. You can get them for around 300, this will lessen the cost for the action and allow you to spend more on the stock/magazine.

I would highly encourage you to check out stockade stocks.
He will inlet the stock for the factory dbm for you.
Get the money saver and paint it yourself.

fdkay - the only problem with the stevens action IS that it doesnt have the accutrigger so I would have to buy a trigger also which would end up costing more than buying a savage action WITH an accutrigger.
Standard short action (small shank)with lighter spring accutrigger (adjustable to 1.5 lb) $345.00
Target Short action (lrg shank) with target accutrigger (adj down to 6oz) $425.00

Stevens action $300+or- Plus a trigger @ $100.00+ = $400.00 plus.

So the stevens route is almost the same as the more expensive Target action option.

Once I figure out the best route to take for the barreled action I'll start worrying about the stock if needed.

^%$#^ I just missed a savage model 10 lang range rifle with a custom stock for 600.00. It only lasted in the want adds for a few hours and was gone by the time i got up this morning. It would have been perfect. 600.00 then switch out the barrel and I would have been set for 870.00 with a custom stock. ^%^%#

Based on my experience with a 10fp I had, you are going to want to replace the accutrigger anyway.

Josh

By numerous accounts, the trigger on the stevens can be tuend quite nicely.

AS far as I know, the model 12 trigger will go down very close to 1.5 lbs.

Do not be enamored with extremely light trigger pulls, a lot of very good shooting is done with 3.5 to 4 lb triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By numerous accounts, the trigger on the stevens can be tuend quite nicely.

AS far as I know, the model 12 trigger will go down very close to 1.5 lbs. </div></div>

I believe the standard accutrigger adjusts from 2.5 - 6 lbs
With the lighter spring you can go down to 1.5. Maybe the models 12 has the lighter spring?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not be enamored with extremely light trigger pulls, a lot of very good shooting is done with 3.5 to 4 lb triggers. </div></div>
yep. My AR 15 shoots great with a 4.4 lb trigger pull and all my varmint rifles shoot great with a 3-3.5 lb pull.
And Ive shot several target rifles with 6 oz - 1 lb pull that were very nice. I shot a VERY nice custom 10-22 at the range Saturday with a 6oz trigger, very nice. The target rifles (air rifle sand .22 cal) the youth use at our local shooting association go down as far as 2oz. One of the young men (who is going to the junior olymics this year for target shooting) has his rifle at 2oz.

I may turn the trigger down to 6oz for load development but I most likely will keep it around 2-3 lbs. But for 10.00 the option to turn it down to 6oz if I want is nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage F-Class? </div></div>

Are you questioning what F-Class is or if you can have a savage F-cless rifle?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage F-Class? </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

Suggesting a Savage F Class rifle might be perfect for what you are looking for. It's what I started with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage F-Class? </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

Suggesting a Savage F Class rifle might be perfect for what you are looking for. It's what I started with.</div></div>

Ah, ok. Yes I guess I dont mention it on this post but in the previous post I did mention this will be a cross between a tactical and an F-Class rifle.

Problem solved.

I was talking with Jim Briggs @ NSS, going over options and he mentioned he JUST got in 22 more rifles. ONE was the model 10 FCP HS Precision http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
It has a nicer stock than the LRP and was 150.00 cheaper at $725.00( thats more than $250.00 cheaper than the local gun store). Jim gave me a credit on the 308 barrel that hes going to keep and send the CBI 28" SS Bull 260 rem barrel. Along with a lighter trigger spring for the accutrigger and the CNC machined Lug. I should have it in 4-7 days Im guessing.

The whole packge: Model 10 FCP HS Precision minus barrel, CNC lug, Lighter spring, CBI 28" 260 rem barrel, After shipping and credit card 3% fee came to $985.71

I think they had this exact model at Sportsmans warehouse yesterday for $989.00. So I saved $4 and got a CNC lug, spring, and nicer barrel in a better caliber.

Now I just need to save up some more money, get the dies , scope base and rings and then decide on a scope. may be a while before I'm ready to buy the scope
frown.gif

Thanks for all the help guys.

Excellent! Now that you have a rifle... get your load figured out and get up to Park City for the next match:) May 21st. Hope to see you there.

Awesome.. I just bought Jims last CBI 260 barrel yesterday.. We should share loads, only your gonna have yours shooting a lot sooner than I am.. Post pics of groups and loads when you shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNAGLYTOOTH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Excellent! Now that you have a rifle... get your load figured out and get up to Park City for the next match:) May 21st. Hope to see you there. </div></div>

Can you send me info on that match or the website? I heard there was one up in Park city the other day from Clint Simon of Utahshootouts.com
May 14th I'll be down in Price at the shootout down there.

Send info to my emailif you would
[email protected]

And WHERE is Francis? I'm in Springville.

No, i'm not an accountant....I just keep their PCs running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirknar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome.. I just bought Jims last CBI 260 barrel yesterday.. We should share loads, only your gonna have yours shooting a lot sooner than I am.. Post pics of groups and loads when you shoot it. </div></div>

HAHA.. You bought his next to last 260 barrel yesterday. Mine was sitting on the shelf next to it (with a piece of tape with my name on it) waiting for me to call and tell him what action I wanted with it. He did say that he sold the last 260 other than mine yesterday. You know what they say,"Its a small world....but I would want to have to paint it"

So you got the 28" bull also? I would be more than happy to share some load development with you...as soon as I get the money for dies, scope, powder, bullets, etc. Just have to decide on a scope now.
What are you doing about a scope? Is this a 1000yd gun for you too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirknar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome.. I just bought Jims last CBI 260 barrel yesterday.. We should share loads, only your gonna have yours shooting a lot sooner than I am.. Post pics of groups and loads when you shoot it. </div></div>

HAHA.. You bought his next to last 260 barrel yesterday. Mine was sitting on the shelf next to it (with a piece of tape with my name on it) waiting for me to call and tell him what action I wanted with it. He did say that he sold the last 260 other than mine yesterday. You know what they say,"Its a small world....but I would want to have to paint it"

So you got the 28" bull also? I would be more than happy to share some load development with you...as soon as I get the money for dies, scope, powder, bullets, etc. Just have to decide on a scope now.
What are you doing about a scope? Is this a 1000yd gun for you too? </div></div>

Oh thats funny.. I got the last 26" Varminit/tac contour in 260, Or at least I hope I did, he put my name with tape on it.

Sounds like you got a nice deal through him.. I didnt know he sold new guns and switched barrels.. Maybe I should have done that too, Oh well.. Im excited to take it all apart and do it myself.

I will probably just borrow a scope off another rifle for now? I need a stock first. I have a falcon menace and a Nikon monarch. This guns main reason is to shoot varmints long range, and shoot some targets as well. i will eventually cut the barrel down to 22-23" and have it threaded.

I also need money to fund the stock/scope/dies/brass.. I might have to sell a Browning A-bolt in 270WSM that I have..

I sold my rem 788 in .222 to finance this one. I will also put a picatinny 1 piece rail on it. I will then be able to put the Buckmaster 6-18x40 with the one piece mount thats currently on my AR15 on the 260 for load development. So I guess all I really need to start working up loads is dies, brass, etc.

I think I'd like a different scope for 600-1000 yd competitions though. SO, on to my next post. Part 3...

jim wont rebarrel an action for you but he will take a barrel off of an action and give you a partial discount for it. In hind site I should have just paid the extra $100 and kept the 308 barrel that came on the action...next time...

Dirknar -

I called Jim today because I still hadnt heard from them since contacting my FFL. (They said they would contact me once they got the FFL info and shipped the rifle).
Jim said theyve been quite busy and wouldnt be shipping out rifles until Monday. It was a good thing I called though since my FFL dealer here sent Jim the FFL info but didnt bother to put my name on it so Jim had no Idea it was the FFL info for my rifle.

Looks like I wont be getting the rifle till the end of next week in stead of the 1st part of the week like i was expecting though. Thats a bumme rsince I was planning on shooting it in a competition on the 18th. The only range time I would have to woprk up loads is the 11th and it wont be here yet. guess I'll be using my 223 and 25-06 for this next competition. /shrug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fdkay - the only problem with the stevens action IS that it doesnt have the accutrigger so I would have to buy a trigger also which would end up costing more than buying a savage action WITH an accutrigger.
Standard short action (small shank)with lighter spring accutrigger (adjustable to 1.5 lb) $345.00
Target Short action (lrg shank) with target accutrigger (adj down to 6oz) $425.00

Stevens action $300+or- Plus a trigger @ $100.00+ = $400.00 plus.

So the stevens route is almost the same as the more expensive Target action option.</div></div>

NSS has Stevens actions for $235, the Accutrigger for $325 and Target:http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,7912.0.html

Are you sure you want a target action? The trigger seems to bee too light for real world use.

Savage Shooters has a lot of info and some good deals on the classifieds.

Johnny Lately - HAHAHAHAHHA appropriate name I must say.

Scroll up a few posts and youll see the details of the rifle I bought a few days ago from NSS off of the Savage shooters forum.

smile.gif