• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Patent Help

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I think some here might hold patents on firearm related things. I am a home hobby machinist and have something I thing alot of people here might like. It is an upgrade to an accessory for a rifle we all know and love. I feel it is something that would "sell" and before showing it, or even taking it to the range I would like to try and patent it.
Can someone give me an idea of how to go about doing it? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Patent Help

Do what's called provisional patent application.
It's much less expensive (typically, $1,000-1,500) than
full patent application ($4,000-6,000). Find more details on the net.

I got my patent on a food container through my company. Im glad that I didnt have to fund it myself. I know that it cost the company quite a bit on the legal end of things. Lots of time with the lawyers.
You might want to explore the provisional route.

You can get a book called "Patent it yourself" from Nolo Press that will guide you through the basics of filing a provisional application, which gives you a year to shop the idea around before filing a regular US application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get a book called "Patent it yourself" from Nolo Press that will guide you through the basics of filing a provisional application, which gives you a year to shop the idea around before filing a regular US application. </div></div>

While this works in general, my own experience did teach me to do most everything myself, but still hire professional help to go thru the draft and translate, where needed, into "patent" English. Not extremely important for provisional, as opposed to full patent, but at the end of the day, it usually proves to be worth it, if getting full patent next, or if disputing somebody's else claims. This may cost $700-$1000, if patent attorney is decent. Mine is a good guy.

Of course, you got to do patent search first: www.uspto.gov

Provisional FTW. I believe you have up to a year to follow through on a full patent if you decide you can make money with the product.

Thanks for the info. I will email you George when I get home. The problem I am having is it is just and ungrade to an existing product. Can you patent this?

Right, you definitely want a patent attorney to work on the regular patent application - the provisional is the only part you should consider doing yourself. A modification to an existing product is patentable as long as the modification is novel.

The average price for a US patent application to be drafted and filed for a "small entity" is still close to $10k, so the provisional application is a cheap way to buy a year to shop the idea around.

Dont forget < you have to be willing and able to "defend" your patent.

So if your not going to make considerable more than the cost involved to obtain a patent, manufacture the product, etc etc... just make a bunch of the widgets,flood the market and get out before someone else starts producing it.