• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Patriot Valley Arms Prefit Barrels Announcement and Testing

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    So I just got a call from Josh at Patriot Valley Arms letting me know they will now start offering prefits. He said he has their very first prefit barrel ready for me for testing in 6.5x47 Lapua at 26". Ill be picking it up next week along with the Bartlein for the 223 review along with the very first prototype powder tray.. Ill be testing it on a Bighorn TL3 with Bighorns new 12 Point Barrel Nut in an XLR Chassis.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/

Barrels will be Rock Creek Button Rifled Doubled Lapped with threaded muzzle and protector for around $525 shipped. He will be launching this on his website shortly so check their for final pricing
    Marksmen Contour
    6mm and 6.5mm available
    Savage Small Shank (Remage coming shortly)
    Max Finish Length 26"

He will also be offering Prefit Cut Rifled Barrels in the $625 range with threaded muzzle and protector shipped (stay tuned for that launch on his website as well)

Anyone that has shot Josh's barrels knows they shoot lights out and the workmanship is second to none. Stay tuned for testing coming soon.

Last edited:
    That sounds awesome. I have been listening to Josh’ on a podcast here lately. Was very impressed with his thought process, experience, and obvious mastery of what it takes to make nice products. Proof is in the pudding though. I emailed him a few weeks ago to ask a few questions and try to get a Tikka project kicked off. Never got a response, from Josh or anyone else. I have no doubt he’s a smart, innovative guy. But I don’t get why its okay to make big PR expansion announcements like this, when you don’t have the resources to take care of the potential customer base you already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Reactions: jetracer013
    Not making excuses for him but last I heard it’s a one man shop. It’s taken him anywhere from a couple weeks to a few minutes to get back to me when I’ve emailed. Also try giving him a call and shoot another email his way.

I just ordered a barrel from him for my TL3 and will be sending the rest of my rifle to him after Xmas to get put together, finally. Been a long road as this game is expensive.

Cant wait to see how these prefit perform. Will likely be my next barrel once this one gets shot out.

"That sounds awesome. I have been listening to Josh’ on a podcast here lately. Was very impressed with his thought process, experience, and obvious mastery of what it takes to make nice products. Proof is in the pudding though. I emailed him a few weeks ago to ask a few questions and try to get a Tikka project kicked off. Never got a response, from Josh or anyone else. I have no doubt he’s a smart, innovative guy. But I don’t get why its okay to make big PR expansion announcements like this, when you don’t have the resources to take care of the potential customer base you already have."

I'm interested in what podcast you were listening to if you wouldn't mind sharing. I'm always looking for new and interesting podcasts.

As far as Josh goes, I would just send him another email or give him a call. He's a great guy that's super helpful and generous with his time and knowledge. Plus he's running a shop that's turning out some of the highest quality work in the country. I know I have missed emails before and I'm not as busy as he is!

As for the pre-fits I'm glad to see another great option for guys with a little mechanical aptitude and a MF, Bighorn, or Savage to throw them on.

Reactions: Monk Medic
    "That sounds awesome. I have been listening to Josh’ on a podcast here lately. Was very impressed with his thought process, experience, and obvious mastery of what it takes to make nice products. Proof is in the pudding though. I emailed him a few weeks ago to ask a few questions and try to get a Tikka project kicked off. Never got a response, from Josh or anyone else. I have no doubt he’s a smart, innovative guy. But I don’t get why its okay to make big PR expansion announcements like this, when you don’t have the resources to take care of the potential customer base you already have."

I'm interested in what podcast you were listening to if you wouldn't mind sharing. I'm always looking for new and interesting podcasts.

As far as Josh goes, I would just send him another email or give him a call. He's a great guy that's super helpful and generous with his time and knowledge. Plus he's running a shop that's turning out some of the highest quality work in the country. I know I have missed emails before and I'm not as busy as he is!

As for the pre-fits I'm glad to see another great option for guys with a little mechanical aptitude and a MF, Bighorn, or Savage to throw them on.

I totally agree with the sentiments about PVA. He might be a little difficult to reach sometimes, but it's well worth the wait.

Here's the podcasts: Precision Rifle Media, episodes 24, 25 and 47, 48.
    http://www.precisionriflemedia.com/podcast/?offset=1475139600663

Wait... Hasn't he been offering Prefit TL3 barrels for a long time now? Is something different or am I missing something?

That sounds awesome. I have been listening to Josh� on a podcast here lately. Was very impressed with his thought process, experience, and obvious mastery of what it takes to make nice products. Proof is in the pudding though. I emailed him a few weeks ago to ask a few questions and try to get a Tikka project kicked off. Never got a response, from Josh or anyone else. I have no doubt he�s a smart, innovative guy. But I don�t get why its okay to make big PR expansion announcements like this, when you don�t have the resources to take care of the potential customer base you already have.

I've been Josh customer for quite some time now, he has made me two Tikka prefits. Sometimes he takes a little bit to answer your emails (he is the only one running the shop and doing costumer service at the same time) but he will write back with all your questions and concerns answered. He is very knowledgeable, kind and professional not to mention that his jobs are freaking awesome.

I athouggt I read on here last week somewhere that he had some kind of family emergency or something to that effect.

Josh had a family ER last week yes and is in the process of getting ready to move into a new shop here shortly. Hes keeping the machines running trying to knock out as many barrels as he can before the holidays as well. I would shoot him another email and he will get back to you or message him on FB as he gets them pretty quickly.

Wait... Hasn't he been offering Prefit TL3 barrels for a long time now? Is something different or am I missing something?

Yes, the difference being these will be savage small shank and use a barrel nut vice his other shouldered prefits he’s been selling for some time.

Josh has been offering any barrel you want for a long time. Obviously that comes with his normal gunsmithing fees plus the cost of the blank....

These will be small shank or remage prefits that will only be in Marksmen contour with threaded muzzle and a standard protector in 6mm or 6.5mm at a competitive price. You choose the caliber for him to chamber it in.. No additional fees for muzzle threads, thread protector, shipping, credit card fees, etc... The price includes all that shipped to your door.

Patriot Valley will also be offering the Bighorn barrel nut and they have Rear Entry action wrenches in stock so you can order everything you need except for the barrel vise and headspace gauges.

The Viper Barrel Vise at $58 from OTM is all you need.

Last edited:
    He has had some prefit barrels with barrel nuts on his website for a while. Did something change since a month or so ago when they were announced?

Are you talking about his Tikka and Ruger American prefits? These savage small shank prefits are brand new and he just received the blanks for these in the past week..

Josh has been offering any barrel you want for a long time. Obviously that comes with his normal gunsmithing fees plus the cost of the blank....

These will be small shank or remage prefits that will only be in Marksmen contour with threaded muzzle and a standard protector in 6mm or 6.5mm at a competitive price. You choose the caliber for him to chamber it in.. No additional fees for muzzle threads, thread protector, shipping, credit card fees, etc... The price includes all that shipped to your door.

Patriot Valley will also be offering the Bighorn barrel nut and they have Rear Entry action wrenches in stock so you can order everything you need except for the barrel vise and headspace gauges.

The Viper Barrel Vise at $58 from OTM is all you need.

Oooohhh I see. Cool! Thanks. More options the better! I'm a fan of barrel nut barrels (mostly for the price) so this is a win win.

Thanks for the announcement padom

I hadn't quite planned for launching Remage prefits yet for the simple reason that I didn't have a good, direct source of barrel nuts for them but that's a simple matter of making them myself I suppose.

That sounds awesome. I have been listening to Josh’ on a podcast here lately. Was very impressed with his thought process, experience, and obvious mastery of what it takes to make nice products. Proof is in the pudding though. I emailed him a few weeks ago to ask a few questions and try to get a Tikka project kicked off. Never got a response, from Josh or anyone else. I have no doubt he’s a smart, innovative guy. But I don’t get why its okay to make big PR expansion announcements like this, when you don’t have the resources to take care of the potential customer base you already have.

Crews We/I get a lot of spam and trash through the website. I sort through it near daily and delete as much of the junk I can. FB messenger is probably the fastest way to get ahold of me and it gets a lot less spam from web crawlers or Chinese junk traders that want me to ship a Khales to Shanghai and lie about the package to get through customs (not kidding, I get this email at least 3 times a week). I get similar requests from IP's in India, Pakistan, etc where just about anything I make is ITAR restricted and they're probably not going to pay for it anyway.

I also get a surprising number of email contact from people who have typos in their own email addresses and when I hit a reply off answering their questions I get back a bounce. Totally wasting my time and I have little opportunity to try and decrypt a bad email address.

There's a lot going on including more turning capacity and another full time machine guy to help me with making chips fly in the new shop. The new machinery is heavier duty, faster and more capable than what I already have. The current product lines will only improve once we get that center up and running.

Reactions: TacT-MecH
    25659261_2019984901573626_7538947704645132891_n.jpg

Barrel is installed and all ready for testing. Will be starting testing with a new box of Virgin Lapua brass. Will fire 100rds with 139L and Varget to fireform brass and get some rounds down the barrel.

smwuqnZ.jpg

8GOFmae.jpg

Last edited:
    This seems like a very nice option for us fans of the barrel nut. What is the marksman profile, it looks like a straight taper to my eye?

Here's a few teaser pics...Loaded up 50 pieces of virgin Lapua with 36.8g Varget and 139 Scenars to get some rounds down the barrel.

First 5 shots down the barrel. #1 and #2 both high right, made 2 scope adjustments then 3 shots into a nice little group

mOcuhz6.jpg

Shots 5 thru 10 into a pretty nice group

V3oU2aa.jpg

Things REALLY tightened up at the 35rd mark. Next 3 groups looked like this...All 5 shot groups at 100yds.

61ARzol.jpg

Will put the other 50pcs of virgin brass through the barrel then do some load development and long range testing out to 700yds..Stay Tuned

Last edited:
    Talking with Josh today its essentially a Hawk Hill Marksman contour turned down at the shank for savage prefit. So instead of 1.25" its 1.0625"

I note these still aren't up on PVA's website...of course I'm sure Josh is more concerned with cranking out product than doing website work...

Here's the 140 ELD-M Varget OCW test with 100rds down the barrel and fireformed brass.

PCwxFrn.jpg

For comparison, here is my 140 ELD-M Varget OCW test done previously with my 26" PVA Rock Creek cut rifled shouldered barrel on my TL3. Velocities and SD's are pretty darn close between the new button and the cut rifled Rock Creek barrels...

NPVcDBV.jpg

Not bad for a $500 barrel vs a $750 barrel...

Last edited:
    I note these still aren't up on PVA's website...of course I'm sure Josh is more concerned with cranking out product than doing website work...

BoilerUP I have the listing laid out but in a test mode as I wanted to get a final, independent test completed by someone before I started taking orders... jist in case.

I going to open orders up this.coming week.

More blanks are coming, I have somewhat limited stock currently.

I do have a 6 Creed 8tw Marksman complete amd.on the shelf that can ship immediately. First taker...

Are there any plans to do this in an 18 Tpi pre-fit for the Atlas or other 18tpi actions?

Jeremy