• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pattern 14 Enfield Value (.303 British)

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
I meant to ask you fellas this a few months ago when I purchased the rifle, but does anyone have any data on the value of the P14 Enfields (.303 Brit)? I found one at a gun show that is numbers matching and mostly original, with the exception of the lower handguard and magazine plate ("DP" marked). Also, the volley sights were removed, which I understand drives the value of the rifle down. It is of Eddystone manufacture, and almost all parts are "E" marked, except for the two aforementioned parts. The bore is dark with some light pitting, but the rifling is strong. I will try and get some pictures up later.

I have seen quite a few M1917 Enfields floating around on GB and other various milsurp retailers online, but I have only seen a very small handful of the P14s and the prices are all over the place. After I bought it, I walked around the gun show and was asked to sell it by a few different individuals. I've considered trading it off, but I think I may keep it just because it seems that these aren't so plentiful anymore.

From what you describe it's probably in the area of $475-500 but pictures would help.

Pictures or it's worth $75 USD. Has it been through Weedon? Parts match? Dad Army markings? They are cheap in the USA, tons came in in the past few years.

I reread your post. The stock has been to Weedon and the DP mark means take the rifle down to parts. Then check everything. Either somebody replaced parts with a drill purpose part or the rifle is a blister. If the stock has been drilled it's a blister (replacement Springfield Sporters parts). Please post pictures.

Also, a parts gun sold as parts is worth more then a 100 % rifle that went through Weedon, well on e-bay.

Post pictures.

Last edited:
+3 on pics.

They are great shooters... I have a pair of original ERA Patt. '14s... reading this is making me look for a shooter. If you have not fired it, you are missing out.

This is what your rifle would have looked like as new
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

$450-600ish usually. For whatever reasons, the American counterparts are either on par, or $300+ more in the price range. No idea why. I'm pretty sure the P14 is less numerous. I think it's the "American surplus syndrome" that raises the price.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Here are some (crappy) pictures:

As you guys can see, she isn't exactly in the best shape. It is my understanding that the fatboy stocks came on the Eddystones, so somewhere along the line this rifle was laid in a stock it didn't start out in. What's more is that it looks like someone put some shellac on it somewhere down the line and thought they would carve into the stock as well as you can see.

Luckily, the drill purpose (DP) parts are only that; parts off a drill purpose rifle. Neither the action or the barrel, which is numbers matching, have a big gaping hole drilled in it. I had purchased a replacement lower handguard and magazine plate from Apex that aren't DP parts, and neither one of them fit! I'm not entirely sure what that's about (maybe they're for an M1917?).

Also, as you can see, the bolt, action, and barrel are numbers matching.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this rifle... I'm not so sure if I should've bought it, but that was three months ago and the money is long since gone so whatever. I've got an M1917 that is in absolutely beautiful condition so its not that big of a deal.

303_enfield: you mentioned that the parts could be from Springfield Sporters. The barrel has an import marking that I didn't recognize until you mentioned that and then it made sense. This rifle was imported by them.

Yep, old import from Springfied Sporters. They put it together, I would bet the rifle spent time in India because of that. SS had tons of them back in the good old days. I have one I bought there in the late 70's in an Indian stock.

Selling it? I would replace the magazine plate an keep it. Shoot lead pills in the old girl an call it a day.

For the most $$$ part it out. Flea bay would bring $125+ for the stock (bottom no hand guards or butt plate), $150 ish + barrel and so on.
The rifle as it sits, $300 max around me. With it sitting in a fun store for a long time. If it was a M1917 in that condition $400 in a shop.

Keep her and shoot the piss out of it :)

As far as parts being swapped and not fitting... the Patt. '14 was not built with parts interchangability as a requirement... even the US Model 1917 only had about 80% parts interchangabilityETA: between manufacturers (early Winchester M1917s were marked with a star in a circle on the receiver rail and were ordered NOT to be sent overseas with the AEF due to non interchangability) .

Look for Eddystone Patt. '14 parts, as they will be more likely to fit... you may still have to do some minor fitting. Remington and Winchester parts may require more work to fit. Stocks and handguards did require an armorer to install for proper fit.

Last edited:
CSAR FE,

As noted, as a "collectable" it's not worth all that much. Because a collector will just flip it to make a profit so he can find an original rifle. He wants it for the lowest price he can hammer you down to.

However, to a 'shooter' this could be worth a little more if it's in working condition. It's not collectable, so it won't cost him that much. He wants something to shoot and doesn't know the rock-bottom "profit-price/margin" he needs to get it for. If it's within his budget and the rifles are not so common any more, then good chance someone will pony up for a 'shooter'.

I'd hate to see this get parted out as it's useable in it's current condition and even so the parts aren't going to make any other rifle a 'collectable'.

Get some Brit 174 gr. FMJ and some dies and load for it. You'll appreciate it a lot more.

CSAR FE,

As noted, as a "collectable" it's not worth all that much. Because a collector will just flip it to make a profit so he can find an original rifle. He wants it for the lowest price he can hammer you down to.

However, to a 'shooter' this could be worth a little more if it's in working condition. It's not collectable, so it won't cost him that much. He wants something to shoot and doesn't know the rock-bottom "profit-price/margin" he needs to get it for. If it's within his budget and the rifles are not so common any more, then good chance someone will pony up for a 'shooter'.

I'd hate to see this get parted out as it's useable in it's current condition and even so the parts aren't going to make any other rifle a 'collectable'.

Get some Brit 174 gr. FMJ and some dies and load for it. You'll appreciate it a lot more.

I agree with you, and I don't believe I'd ever part it out. I have a complete, shootable rifle, so why not keep it complete? If anything, I might see if I can find a stock and handguards that are in better shape and maybe restore the rifle to a better condition, just because I could use a project or two right now. As far as reloading goes, I've been looking high and low for .311 diameter projectiles and haven't been able to find a whole lot. Are the manufacturers not making as much of them anymore? I'm really thinking about getting set up with casting bullets once I move out of this apartment...