• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pay to remage an action or go custom?

THEWAKLER

USMC
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2014
NC
I have a R700 5R G2 in 6.5cm with the 24” fluted sendero barrel at 1k rounds (barrel is still fine). I’ve recently started reloading and shooting PRS and have a badrock 6.5cm on its way for my comp gun (unfortunately does not accept prefits). I’m looking to turn my current R700 into more of a lightweight hunting rifle. I would would like to hunt with 6.5cm for most things and 7SAUM for bigger game and occasional LR steel targets.

My question is if I should have my action sent off to pin a remage lug so I can use the remage prefits (and order a new bolt for the 7), or sell the barreled action and go the custom route (probably defiance) for about $300 more and get a swappable bolt head and be able to use the defiance prefits. Weight isn’t That much of a concern, I’ll gain most of that in stock and scope choice. I imagine my mind will be made up once I feel the action on the badrock compared to my R700, but I wanted to see if I was missing anything.

Could be wrong..but I don't think you even need to pin the recoil lug if you use an action wrench that aligns the lug. Waiting on my action to come back from cerakote to find out. I think my wrench will align my lug. Use the savage wrench on the barrel nut.

But, you may be better off with a different action with interchangeable heads. You'd have to make that call.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Mauser06 is correct. You do not need to pin the lug as long as you use the new style wrench from Southland. They have modified the wrench to hold the lug in the correct position. The original wrench did not do this.

You could always just drop off the action with two barrel blanks and have “prefit” barrels made for your action. No mods to anything needed. If/when you shoot out the new barrels it’s possible your gunsmith can chamber new ones without needing your action back.

The beauty of a remage barrel is that you don’t need any of that shit. Just go to north land shooter supply and get a barrel, lug, nut, nut wrench, action wrench, lug aligner and finally go gauge. You can have the whole schebang for like 600.

I’ve done a factory Remington, a semi blueprinted rem, origin, nucleus, howa, and American with basically those exact tools.

Take the money you would save on a custom and get a great trigger.

Then do it all again with a custom just because.

Typically not, they tend to have roughly the same OD as a shouldered barrel.

Most accurate 223 I’ve ever had was a factory Remington with a bugholes barrel nothing else done to it. I’m shooting a Origin with a bugholes prefit now and it won’t touch what that rifle would do.

Reactions: bunsen27
I did have to relieve my barrel Inlet for the nut but that might not always be the case. Like was said, easy enough to remove a small amount of material from the stock to accommodate the new nut if needed.

The beauty of a remage barrel is that you don’t need any of that shit. Just go to north land shooter supply and get a barrel, lug, nut, nut wrench, action wrench, lug aligner and finally go gauge. You can have the whole schebang for like 600.

I’ve done a factory Remington, a semi blueprinted rem, origin, nucleus, howa, and American with basically those exact tools.

Take the money you would save on a custom and get a great trigger.

Then do it all again with a custom just because.
Many thanks, I misunderstood that I would need to notch the action to hold the lug. Looks like advances are being made!

I believe my external action wrench is a Wheeler. It has a recess for the lug and lines up via the front action bolt.

I hope your barrel comes off easier than mine....lol. I had to combine ALL the tricks in the book.