• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PDW for civilians?

Alcatraz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2013
Does anyone have any knowledge about PDWS for Civilians? Im looking for something to use in my house for defense something similar to an H&K MP7. collapsible stock, possible short barrel, and a .45 ACP?

There was an H&K P7 here on the Hide this morning. I owned a P7M8 fore years & was very happy with it. Not sure, but I think it was one of the most compact 9mm for 20(?) years before Kahr came out with their 9mm. It all depends on if you like the squeeze cocker(?) or not...it was fine by me.

It all depends on what state you live in. Some states allow short barrel rifle and others do not. Now you could get a pistol variant are similar to a SBR with no stock. The make handgun caliber AR's. I am not sure where you can get a HK mp7 you could always go talk to your local class 3 FFL and find out. I don't imagine that they are cheap.

In house self defense?? Just remember that the bullets pick up a lot of extra speed in these barrels. There is a significant risk of over penetration. Especially when your house interior walls are made of plaster board.

if its just for home defense , why not a .45acp pistol if that's the caliber your interested in.but if your going the sbr route and if your state allows class 3 , the kris vector can be had as a sbr in .45 last I heard unless any new rulings poped up. My $.02 would be a nice 45 acp pistol with a light attached

with an sbr you can gain accuracy but might sacrifice some maneuverability, if your running around your house (safely) in a defensive situation

Aside from the legality of getting an MP-7, I'm not even sure where you'd get 4.6mm ammo; do you have a source? I've only heard of a small number of these PDWs being purchased (SOCOM), so don't think the ammo is widely available...

I could be totally wrong, as it's been a few years since I really paid attention to the MP-7...

FN PS-90 might be a better option with readily available ammo (with frangible V-Max bullets).

Last edited:
Here are two options that will cost you a HELL of a lot less. First, a plain M4 carbine (what I use, along with an SDN-6). You can get the 14.5" bbl. if you like and blind pin a brake/hider/suppressor attachment (you do want be able to hear afterwards, right?). The other option is to get a 12.5" bbl. AR and AAC makes a 5.5" suppressor designed to be welded on permanently. Bam. Total 16" length, suppressed, and fires M855, a big plus in my book. A plain KAC rail and light and maybe a grip, that is all you need. If you can have SBR, don't weld the shit, pay the $200. This'll costs a hell of a lot less than an MP7 IF you can find one, and you don't need to be able to have SBR. Also, there isn't a civilian block on the M855. If you are worried about over penetration, use a 40gr. AMAX. They won't go through much before disintegrating at that speed and weight.

I suppose another option, that is in your caliber .45, would possibly be the Kriss. Like a big ass handgun with a folding stock and high cap mag. Really cool looking, costly. Depending on SBR laws and such in your state, it could be exactly what you asked for; no SBR and it is just a big ass clunky handgun. Uses 30rd. or so mags, big fat ones that will also work in a Glock.

They make AK handguns, no SBR, cheap and they'll certainly work and fuck someone up at in-home ranges.

Oh, Brugger and Thomet are modifying their 9mm burp gun to 6.5mm or 6mm, I forget which. They make a lot of shit for that weapon too, I think it used to be called the Steyr MP9. Pistol or SBR. DSA is the outlet for most of it in US.

I will defiantly look into the Vector Kriss, and as well as the SBR you recommended, I don't have any more room for any other caliber that's why I was looking into .45 caliber lol thank you all for the great tips!

Take the Joe Biden approach to safety:

Carry a whistle AT ALL TIMES. If a bad guy comes around, pull out your whistle and blow in it really hard. I swear by this technique because it works 11 times out of 9.