• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pedersoli Howdah .410/45colt

IronSkillet

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2023
Florida
Has anyone here had an opportunity to get hands on with one of these pistols?
find it interesting and unique but not sure on how practical it would be as a home & garden weapon.

I have not. But I do have a Judge with 5 of the same rounds available instead of two, and it carries/conceals easily. I generally carry it in an OWB holster, stoked with .410 #6 shot when working in snake territory. It does not interfere with doing real work (running a saw, cutting brush, etc). I have also carried it loaded with a mix of .410, and .45LC 230gr when I was going to be in an area where I wasn't sure exactly what type of "snake" I might encounter. It will give up some MV to the one you have linked due to the barrel length, but I can't imagine using that thing the way I do the Judge.

My dad has one and I bought him a shoulder holster for it. He was always a fan of walking the woods with a TC Contender with the .410 barrel in case we flushed a grouse, so I think he thought it would be like that but with two barrels. The problem is that it’s heavy and balances funny. Definitely seems intended to be shot two handed. I’ve only seen him take it out once. It’s turned in to a range toy, along with the 20 gauge black powder one he also has. Also, note that the Pedersoli has rifled barrels so the shot spreads very quickly, whereas the TC has a smooth bore with a rifled choke for .45 LC so it’s usefulness as a bird gun is lower. All that being said, it is nice looking and pretty fun at the range. Just can’t imagine toting 4+ pounds of .410 around.

Reactions: IronSkillet
Just get the judge. Makes a really good snake gun. Found a cheap holster got a strap/ belt, wear like bandleader. Works out really good when on atv, tractor, or doing work. Can shoot 45 lc or 410 for whatever task calls for.

I wanted to get the Howdah myself. I have the 20 gauge blackpowder version and really like it.

Other expenses came up like a purchase of four cans and looking at a new rifle build in 7PRC but I digress.

What I like about the 410/45LC Howdah is how unique it is. It is definitely a range toy but why do we shoot in the first place?

Because it's fun. The experience that I've had with the blackpowder version is definitely a 10 in the fun-factor scale. Is it practical? Probably not because I don't ride on top of elephants and find the need for a tool to protect myself from vicious tigers.

The practicality of either pistol lies with how much fun you want to have. The idea of spending over four figures to join a country club to hit a little white ball around a big field full of holes, to me, is the very epitome of foolishness. However, this is a free country and to each his own.

I won't vote to ban the game of golf if they won't vote to ban my guns.

My personal advice to the OP is buy the gun for the fun factor. What else could you spend your money on? Whores and whiskey?

Gun broker has lots of them for sale:

Reactions: IronSkillet
If you like history this might interest you on why Pedersoli decided to make the Howdah.

I decided to get one. It wasn't the model that I really wanted but the price was too good to pass up.

It's not a very comfortable pistol to shoot. Yet the recoil is mild because it's so heavy. It's difficult to hold with one hand and very muzzle heavy. I knew all of that before I bought it.

Nevertheless, it's fun and very different to shoot. I often wonder what it was like to shoot the 20 gauge version of this when Ithaca made it in the 1920s.

This is the "vintage" model with exposed hammers. I have medium size hands and even with a two-handed hold on the grip, I have a difficult time reaching the most forward trigger which fires the right barrel.

So the way I hold it is with the support hand under the handguard. I bet that's the way they held the Ithaca version. As a shotgun/pistol they probably thought that they would be shooting from the hip or resting the handguard on the window frame of a car door.

As you can tell in the photos below, it's not very accurate with the 45 Colt round. The Winchester Cowboy Action loads were a little netter than the Magtech.

The targets below were shot from a rest with Magtech ammunition. The left target was at ten yards and the right one at twenty.

There were a few times when I had trouble getting the left trigger to release and cocking the right side. After I got home, I took the locks off and discovered a few small pieces of wood that were left inside after the inletting. After cleaning out the inletting and oiling the locks everything worked great.

There is a folding rear sight. If I used it to shoot the 45 Colt round, the bullets went way too high. So I did my best to line up the bead on the target with it folded down.

IMG_4167.jpg

The target below was shot off hand at ten yards with Winchester ammunition.

IMG_4169.jpg

This one was shot at twenty yards from a rest.

IMG_4170.jpg

I think that this pistol really shines with shot shells. This one was shot with two rounds of the S&B defense ammo. It is the 3 inch shell with two 000 buck balls and 15 BBs. The distance was 10 yards.

IMG_4171.jpg

Obviously, this is a fun range toy but if there is any practicality to it, that would have to be a medicine dispenser for snakes. Distance for this target was ten yards with 2.5 inch 1/2 ounce #9 shot. Both barrels were fired at this target.

IMG_4172.jpg

This is a 20 yard target with the same ammunition.

IMG_4166.jpg

The leather rig, below was purchased from Shamrock Holsters. I already had the shoulder holster for my black powder Howdah then I got the ammo holder.

IMG_4174.jpg
IMG_4175.jpg

If I get any money back from Uncle Sam this spring, I think I might get the deluxe version of this pistol. It has a single trigger with concealed hammers.

Pedersolihowdaw.jpg