• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pelican 1720 precision cut foam (hot wire cutter)

Re: Pelican 1720 precision cut foam (hot wire cutter)

Great post. I've always wanted a Pelican, but was afraid to spend the money and munch up the foam!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaactc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post. I've always wanted a Pelican, but was afraid to spend the money and munch up the foam!</div></div>

Be aware that they aint exactly light!!! damn feel iike they're made of lead

Jesus man, that's nice. I need to do that for my 1720 as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aussie700P</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaactc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post. I've always wanted a Pelican, but was afraid to spend the money and munch up the foam!</div></div>

Be aware that they aint exactly light!!! damn feel iike they're made of lead </div></div>

I bought a 1720 and a hotwire cutter from Foam Factory and still munched up the foam. I think I went too fast. I don't mind showing off my work if it's at night with no celestial lighting. The gun is safe but it won't win any beauty contest like the OPs foam. Nice Work!

+1 on the weight but it is practically a bombproof case

yep you have to take ur time and I bought some foam to practice on so I could get the feel for it.

Once my rifle comes back from the smith the muzzle break/bolt knob/ bottom metal I'll probably use an electric carving knife.. ive heard it does a half decent job.. anyone tried that?

Even so, with the middle foam removed the case still hold it very nicely - no moving about in the case! Worked for the time being.. cutting will commence soon.

Bombproof - absolutely. Close and forget.. not a second thought or concern. I wish they sold pelican locks that were hardened steel.. all the beefy locks out there are hard to negotiate through the current design.

A beefy lock wouldn't make much sense on a plastic case. Hacksaw and 1 minute and cut the plastic instead of the lock. Locks keep honest people out. If somebody was going to steal it, they'd take case and all.

That looks great! I just did this on my 1720 for a M25 EBR. I used the standard foam from Pelican, and a hot wire cutter that I made myself after looking on the AR Forums. I wish I had layed out my case like yours though with the scope underneath the rifle. I put my rifle centered and the scope above it in the case...

For that Polyethelyne foam, do you think it would work to use the standard Pelican Foam on the very bottom, the Polyethelyne foam for the middle layer, and the standard foam on top? So lateral movement would be stopped by the more durable foam, but pressures from the closed case would be in the high density standard foam? Just thinking outloud....

Looks Awesome! One of the best jobs I have seen!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xr650rRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A beefy lock wouldn't make much sense on a plastic case. Hacksaw and 1 minute and cut the plastic instead of the lock. Locks keep honest people out. If somebody was going to steal it, they'd take case and all.</div></div>

That is true, but my theory is a thief will still try and not break the case if they have to (they're also not so cheap outside the USA)- and I bet it'd take a little longer than a minute! As a travel case i.e. booking your firearm as plane cargo, locking the case would be essential.

There is also a possibility you can have GPS tracking installed in the case and the time it takes for a thief to get organised could make all the difference.

We used this with some of our cases. Worked very well.
I will add a tip tho....
Go to a craft store and buy some spray adhesive. Once your first level of foam is cut spray back side of the cut level then place it back down on the second level.
The foam stays in place very well and adds a nice touch to the whole project.

Good thread,
Scott

Can a person order just the foam from Case Club? Or is there a better source?

Have a couple pelicans that I should probably replace the foam in and do decent cutouts for.

It is sharp, I would prefer the optics mounted.

Wow that looks grate. It is the best I have ever saw. I have a question about getting the cut started. How do you start your cut after you have your temple on the foam? Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We used this with some of our cases. Worked very well.
I will add a tip tho....
Go to a craft store and buy some spray adhesive. Once your first level of foam is cut spray back side of the cut level then place it back down on the second level.
The foam stays in place very well and adds a nice touch to the whole project.

Good thread,
Scott </div></div>

Scott,
I actually use double sided carpet tape. The reason being is after about two weeks the tape cures and you can remove it if you need to. I also tape the foam together, and to the case itself for added rigidity. I've had it like this for five months or so and it's still as solid as day one, but I can remove it whenever I want to make a different template, or whatever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cliffw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow that looks grate. It is the best I have ever saw. I have a question about getting the cut started. How do you start your cut after you have your temple on the foam? Thanks </div></div>

Take a razor and plunge a pilot hole in the foam, feed the wire through the hole and connect it back to your wire cutter.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

cliffw said:
Wow that looks grate. It is the best I have ever saw. I have a question about getting the cut started. How do you start your cut after you have your temple on the foam? Thanks </div></div>

Take a razor and plunge a pilot hole in the foam, feed the wire through the hole and connect it back to your wire cutter.

Let me know if you have any more questions. </div></div>

That is what I was thinking but was not sure. Thanks for the info. and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the post, I was thinking about getting a foam filled case but was wondering how to go about cutting it. Will be tagging this thread.

tag for future reference

This was very helpful, thanks for posting this. Worked like a charm.

A buddy and I just made one too.
We used the doorbell transformer from HD, it was about $14.00. A light dimmer for about 4.00, and some lamp cord.
We made a gallows out of 2x4 and used a mild spring to tension the wire. After some experimenting we found thet following:
Using heavier gauge than modeling ni-chrome wire will burn out a transformer. We went through 2 before we used a very thin wire. Dont keep the wire too taught, a spring to tension is necessary as the wire seems to lax after heat is applied. Practice with some foam is mandatory. If you dont practice cutting you may as well use a razor knife and save all the trouble.

Good info. Tag for reference.

Very nice job. I just got two 1750 cases and I plan to cut one also for my AR with all the mags and gear and the other for my Savage with the scope mounted when I get it back from the smith.