• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Precision Rifle Gear Pelican 1750 too tight?

craigincali

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2020
Upland CA
First post, I have been reading a lot and learning a ton.

I am concerned that when I close the case (1750) it may be crushing my scope. I cut out foam in the shape of the gun and scope but it still send pretty tight. I have to put a fair amount of pressure on the lid to get it closed. The lid is about 3" open until I press to close it.

I have a Howa 24" barreled 6.5 CM with a Vortex Strike Eagle scope.

I am using all 3 foam pieces. The top piece, the cut out piece and the bottom one. Am I her being too concerned?
20210111_214157.jpg

Last edited:
The foam in your pic looks like open cell (?) You may want to mindful open cell foam is not humidity stable. If are considering closed cell foam inserts, then also upgrading the foam would render this issue moot. However, you could measure the width of the optic turrets and compare with your cut-out layer and see how they compare. Its not out of the uestion to customize around a known feature in the side layers. Probably helps to quantify the material removal first tho.

That's an pretty clear spot where your turret is pushing in to the top foam. The rest of it looks ok. I'd probably just cut a small relief out of the top where the turret is.

How thick is that top foam?

Reactions: PDXGS
Just buy convoluted foam, problem solved. I got rid of the dense foam. I travel so much with my rifle that I found this the best solution.

Foam is NOT going to hurt your scope!!! You want your rifle to fit snug in your Pelican case especially if you are going to fly with it.

Reactions: Baron23
Still, it's quite common with scopes these days that you have much less foam that i would like to have on the parallax and/or windage turrets sides as these are so wide. Would appreciate it if case manufacturers added a higher option to their standard case designs as rifles are getting wider, and then there are the ones with a folding stock that often further increase the width.

Would appreciate it if case manufacturers added a higher option to their standard case designs as rifles are getting wider, and then there are the ones with a folding stock that often further increase the width.
I leave my Atlas 5H bipod attached to one of my AIAX rifles so I use a Pelican iM3220 case for that one as it’s a few inches deeper than the regular rifle case.

I’ve gone to SkB double rifle for my bolt guns

like said above they are getting so chunky now etc.

Plus it looks like a musicians case so less “careless” handling when I travel

The mag doesn't make a difference. I thought the same. I ended up cutting a little relief area so the foam there is only half as thick. Now it seems a lot better. Snug but not crushing

I was gonna say a small relief cut on the lid foam and it’ll be fine, but it looks like you did that. I had to do the same on mine a few years ago and I haven’t had any issues.

Reactions: craigincali