• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shipping robust?: Softbag vs foam in a Nanuk 995 or Pelican 1750

slowjunk

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2017
How do you see the robustness of transporting a rifle in a softbag inside a Pelican 1750 versus being put into custom cut foam? I have to ship a rifle via FedEx and I am concerned if a softbag would provide sufficient protection to the rifle and optic. Obviously the custom cut foam would be good, but at the same time I assume a rifle strapped into a softbag would provide some protection because the rifle is surrounded by 1/2” of foam and it is strapped into the center of the bag. FedEx has some reputation for impressive results when it comes to testing Pelican case robustness. Any good/bad experiences with softbags like and Armageddon Gear M2010 or Sert or similar?

Quality soft case like Armageddon or TacOps inside the 1750 should be perfectly fine, as long as it can't slide around a lot. In the event FedEx does damage it, using foam instead of a soft case probably wouldn't have made a difference (i.e., they ran over your case). If you're really worried, 1) the TacOps is the most protective bag out there, and 2) you can always double up w/ a scope cover:

In my iM3300 I got rid of the 2 middle layers of foam, but kept the lid foam & thin 1/2" bottom foam. I use it with & without a soft case inside, depending on the length of the rifle. I'm not shipping though.

I had a feeling the soft bag would be OK. I know there are some people on this forum that travel with and ship their rifles a lot, like 100 times a year. I am curious what they have seen in regards to this and what they think.

Ive shipped 2 sr25s in a xm2010 inside of a 1750 across the country and havent had any issues. My tacops was sent to me in cut foam and also did not have any issues. As long as you have some kind of padding and it isnt going to be loose in the pelican youre fine

Ive shipped 2 sr25s in a xm2010 inside of a 1750 across the country and havent had any issues. My tacops was sent to me in cut foam and also did not have any issues. As long as you have some kind of padding and it isnt going to be loose in the pelican youre fine
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Mike ships Tacops rifles in a pelican case with foam.