• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Penn Foster gunsmithing school ??

Steamgunner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2013
Clearfield, UT
Hey everybody ! I have little to mild gunsmithing experience and I would like to become more experienced in the field hopefully to be able to make a career out of it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience going through the Penn Foster online gunsmithing school ? it seems like a great deal and a good way to get the ball rolling! what is your opinion ??
Thanks !!

it may give you some decent information, but what it lacks is the hands on with any real machining. although with that you could take some more local courses for lathe/mill work to supplement. I am in the same boat as you are, lacking any sort of real Gun Smithing schools where I live.

I have heard that it is good for basic info but like previous person daid lack of hands on. Also if you are working on a gun as you watch the videos and have a question on hoe to do something you have no one to ask unless you get on a forum everytime. I havent actually seen any of the videos so this is my assumption and we know what that means. I moved 5 hours away to go to gunsmithing school. You can look at my thread in this section called "building 1911" if you havent already. Feel free to PM also if you have any questions. I am far from calling myself a true gunsmith but hopefully after going through school and working for a few years I will be able to call myself one.

thanks guys! [MENTION=1604]Shooter[/MENTION], would you recommend it at all? was it a good experience? Im still kicking it around. No matter what it is still education, and really the class right now is only $700, its a good place to start, I do wish things havent gone soo crazy and you could still buy an SKS for $150-200 to practice with LOL

For the money it may seem like a good idea, and it may be so as I don't have any first hand experience with it. But I'm unconvinced with the online stuff. I've been shooting since my dad took me out for the first time when I was 8, and when I found out that I could do it as a career and not just for fun in my garage I decided to take it on. I looked at the Penn Foster, but ended up sucking it up and going to Colorado School of Trades instead. Waaay more expensive, but a lot more hands on experience, with instructors you can talk to face to face. And after going to school and learning about how tight tolerances really are on a lot of this stuff, and seeing what can happen when your off even a little, I'm glad I did. I was lucky - I'm from Colorado so it was only a two hour move to go to school, and I understand that moving may not be in the cards for others, but be prepared to work in a low level position at a shop, almost as an apprentice, until you learn the techniques and machinery that a book can't tell you. On the other end, maybe you're just naturally good at this stuff, and you could be like any number of old gunsmiths that I've met and worked with who never went to school and just taught themselves. Who knows. Just my two cents.

before I couldn't spell gunsmith now I R 1. My suggestion would be to find a good gunsmith and see if you can apprentice under him. If they will let you, because a lot of gunsmiths wont teach anyone anymore which is bullshit. No school will teach you how to be a gunsmith only experience can do that. But a school will give you an informational platform. But experience is everything .For example I have a guy here local who did the whole course at the Colorado School of Trades for gunsmithing and he can't do the work unless it's one of the projects he did in the school.

I was told by several gunsmiths that they would rather teach some one with no experence as to one who went to the gunsmith trade school

Shooter there are a lot of gunsmiths that don't want to take on someone that went to school for gunsmithing because they come out thinking they know everything and are ready for anything. That is not the case. I will graduate with a great basis to build off of. I am taking the 1911 class right now because it is just more of a platform to be able to build off of and the 1911 is my favorite pistol. I will not know the internal working of every gun but I will know how to take apart and repair a lot of the most common guns and have a general understanding of all guns.

Shooter there are a lot of gunsmiths that don't want to take on someone that went to school for gunsmithing because they come out thinking they know everything and are ready for anything. That is not the case. I will graduate with a great basis to build off of. I am taking the 1911 class right now because it is just more of a platform to be able to build off of and the 1911 is my favorite pistol. I will not know the internal working of every gun but I will know how to take apart and repair a lot of the most common guns and have a general understanding of all guns.

+1 but it should be about their attitude not gunsmithing school

I took that course it was not real helpful,check into AGI,they have gun specific videos which I have bought some and were very helpful.they also offer a course that I could not afford myself

I agree AGI master course would be the way to go if not able to go to trade school. But like I said I have all most all the books from foster if some one is interested .

++1. It's all about attitude. You cant come out of school, guns blazing thinking you're gonna flip the gunsmithing world up on its ass. There are too many guys who've been around long enough to actually know what they're doing. When I graduated from CST, I did so with one thing in mind that they tried to instill in everybody: there is no such thing as a master gunsmith. Even though firearms for the most part have remained largely unchanged for at least the last 150 yrs, they are always evolving, and no one can be a master of them all. Every day some manufacturer is trying to revolutionize firearms in some manner and that means you have to learn a new system to keep up. Its all about your mindset and coming into the field humbled. I'll be the first person to admit I don't know everything, but I do my best to learn everything I can along the way.

Steamgunner,

Just my two cents worth, but most of the video courses are (in my mind) armorer courses more than gunsmithing courses. They teach how a particular firearm works, how to disassemble it and how to repair the more commonly broken parts.

"Gunsmith" (in my mind) is an oft over used title these days. I once had a "gunsmith" stir up a conversation with me one year at SHOT, and actually asked me "Hey, I need a .357 Automag reamer. You wouldn't happen to know where I could get one, do you?". I about fell over in shock, especially since we were standing 20 feet from the PTG booth. He wasn't arrogant, or high & mighty per se, but did introduce himself as a "gunsmith".

Be that as it may, I guess the question you'd need to ask yourself is: Do you intend to do this for a living?

The answer to that should drive your decision. If this is for fun or as a hobby, I'd wager the video courses are well enough. If you plan to house, feed and cloth you and yours with this profession, I'd recommend a more traditional trade school where they teach basics often left out of the videos. Things like how to fit buttpads, sling swivels, bedding etc in the shortest amount of time possible... (these are the things that keep the lights on and pay the bills).
A traditional school will also delve into the finer skills not oft covered in videos (checkering, making your own checkering tools, layout, basic metal working, chambering, engraving etc.).

I guess in my mind, a true gunsmith can make a functioning rifle from a scrap sewer pipe, round metal stock and 4x6" fence post (if they had to), and actually make it look somewhat respectable.

OAN, I agree with the comment about attitude being more important than anything. My mentor got me into gunsmithing when I, one day, just decided I was going to figure this "whole bedding thing" out myself. He jokingly tells people now "Yep, I saw him say that and thought 'Now that man has the passion!'". He's become quite a good and close friend along the way as well... His mentorship showed me that while I enjoy gunsmithing, it is a tough and unforgiving profession for most, and that while I could make a living at it, there were other, more comfortable, professions that would pay more than enough to take care of my family and still let me tinker and play with a lathe, mill and such.

JMCTW...

I'm halfway through gunsmithing school at the moment.

I think one of the most valuable aspects of a live school that often gets overlooked in these discussions is the benefit of interacting with your fellow students. I've got a dozen guys working on the same projects I'm working on. I get to learn from my mistakes AND their mistakes. I get to benefit from their creativity.

Guys have different areas of interest and understand different pieces of the puzzle. We all have plenty to learn, but when combined there's a lot of knowledge in the room. It really does make a difference.

become a machinist, first. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from my observations, it appears that machinists make the best smiths. There was an article in the Idaho Statesman today about the abhorrent lack of qualified machinists in the firearms industry here in this state. Many in-state manufacturers have indicated they could produce twice as much product if they could only hire enough qualified machinists...

become a machinist, first. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from my observations, it appears that machinists make the best smiths. There was an article in the Idaho Statesman today about the abhorrent lack of qualified machinists in the firearms industry here in this state. Many in-state manufacturers have indicated they could produce twice as much product if they could only hire enough qualified machinists...

Just my opinion - it's tough to nail down a single skillset that makes the "best smiths". I've seen people with a ton of skills that I wouldn't consider the best gunsmiths. I've seen machinists, woodworkers, etc. who really don't know anything about shooting or about guns. And I've seen plenty of skilled shooters and gun nuts who don't know the first thing about the mechanics of a firearm. I don't think there's a magic bullet.

Plus, gunsmithing is a broad term. A guy may be great at repairing revolvers but suck at building rifles. As long as he sticks to revolvers he's good to go.

Op:

To build rifles/pistols/scattergunz from anything other than cookie cutter part inventories you need to have a minimum of 3 skill sets.

1. Know how to cut and shape metal
2. Know how to cut and shape wood and/or composites
3. Have an aptitude for mechanical things and how they interact with each other

How or where you develop these skills is extremely broad. Just know that a classroom will never compare well when standing next to experience.

Good luck.

C.