• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars People on the Hide have skills....

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    I bought this KaBar, EK Knife design....

1617658032441.png

Good serviceable knife, cheap, I baton logs with it to make kindling.

On one of the posts here I lamented the boring handle, wished I had a Walnut one. Wasn't impressed with the KaBar walnut offerings as they are "presentation" and knives need to be used not presented.

Member on here said they could make me some scales.

Apparently this person enjoys woodworking to decompress from reading too many "Should I give up my AR now?" threads.

So I sent my knife off to him.

Came back today....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Came out awesome....they look simple but Dude wanted to try and make them out of broken M1 Garand wood I sent him. With the scraps used there wasn't enough wood to build the handles due to bores in the rears for the cleaning kit, receiver inletting and sling swivel screws/buttplate screws. My idea was an impossibility with the wood provided and I doubled his work.

These came out great.

What really Impressed me though was a letter sent along with.......

image.jpg

This is someone brought up right, cares about detail and has discipline.

My wife saw the writing and exclaimed "What beautiful writing!" I think there may have been some wetness happening.

I made both my kids look at it and I told them this is what they need to strive to be.

I write everything in cursive since about three or four years ago when I learned the kids are not taught it in school.

I sent this Hide member off a great book in appreciation for his work. He refused to accept payment or my attempt to get him something but he will be getting the book.

I'm going to let the scales acclimate to the Northeast having come from the coastal south.

Im thinking I'll pound them with Tung oil and they will have the Garand look set off from the parked steel.

This made a $125 knife that was already serviceable much better.

Builder also sent me some sweet Maple blanks to entice me to enjoy his hobby...

image.jpg

Might have to break out the saw and give it a shot....

image.jpg

Last edited:
    Those maple blocks will be stunning. There is so much going on in that maple. The more coats of oil you put on it, the more it’ll come alive. They will never look the same from angle to angle as the curl, chatoyance, and ambrosia dance around.

50/50 golden oak/dark walnut minwax stain will make them truly stunning.

I’ve got some more from that same tree, and use even the small pieces for inlays.

Last edited:
    That is way above and beyond, touching as hell too. Hats off to the gentelman who helped you out.

But if you think about it, you are dealing with shooters, gun enthusiasts and a hell of a lot of CCW types. The d bag per square foot ratio is minute when compared to John Q.

I've been telling people for 25 years, " kids who grow up baling hay, hunting and shooting don't spray paint buildings"!!

Not gonna lie. That hand writting is making me a little wet. I wish my cursive was that nice 😂 beautiful work too!

Reactions: sjmpcc022
    truly impeccable...honestly, i have never seen penmanship that good.

oh yeah, the scales arent half bad either.

A good reminder that there are still classy gentlemen out there… and that they can write! I’m making sure my kids learn cursive.

Reactions: 502Chevelle
    Just so you all are aware, fancy handwriting will not get you more poontang. The majority of compliments I have gotten over the years has been from men. Weird.

Anywho, it was a fun project, and I was glad to do it.

Just so you all are aware, fancy handwriting will not get you more poontang. The majority of compliments I have gotten over the years has been from men. Weird.

Anywho, it was a fun project, and I was glad to do it.

Damn it!

Should have posted before I bought my new pen......

1617732751045.png

I am a sucker for Corsair inspired items.

I couldnt have not bought it if I tried.

I will be posting "The Snipers Hide Handwriting Challenge" tonight.

I always suspected people here of being guilty of "The Palmer" method......I just didnt think it was in relation to penmanship.

• Haha
    Reactions: Straw Hat
    Speaking of handwriting, i was watching pbs earlier at a friends house and some show called super girls something was on, wierd show. But they had a segment with 4 girls writing things and one girl held the pen like she was gonna stab the paper, just strait down in her palm and used the bottom two fingers to write with it.... craziest thing ive ever seen. But her handwriting in non cursive was impeccable...

If you've ever watched a left handed person write cursive, it is quite a sight. Mind you, this is my memory from the still standing Catholic grade school I attended.

They kind on grab the front of the desk with their right hand, I assume for leverage??

They get pretty much " up in the seat".

The left hand holding the pen.......................the grip is kind of goofy but not terrible, nothing like the stabbidy grip we discussed earlier.

The wrist, however, is bent in about as much as the tendons and other connective type things in there will allow.

The wrist and elbow stay pretty much stationary, the movement comes from the shoulder down.

Now................ I have no fucking clue why all of this takes place. But.................... I promise you it has EVERYTHING to with the fact they can throw a natural hook if they bowl, or throw an effortless curve ball in little league!!!!