• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sometimes you meet the coolest people at the range!

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2018

"Too old to shoot?" Hell no!​

While I was at the range today, an older couple came in. The old man set up in the lane to my right. His very cute (also elderly) wife, dressed to the "nines," took a chair and sat to watch him. I'll admit my first thought was, "Let me step out of my booth and keep an eye on him, to make sure he's handling his guns safely." All appeared good and safe. I stepped back into my booth and continued shooting.

And then... I noticed his small silhouette target (at 10 yards). Two very tight groups! A moment later, he leaned around the corner to express his admiration of my target, considering I was shooting a snubnose .38 revolver.

Of course, I then told him how impressed I was with his target. He smiled.

"May I ask how old you are?" He proudly said 87 years old! And it turns out he is a retired LEO from Baltimore. While I failed to ascertain which pistols he was shooting, I did notice he was using iron sights.

Gary-87-years-old-target.jpg

That encounter made my day! Usually at the range, I'm astonished at how BAD so many of the shooters are.

I would have never expected an 87 year old to be tearing out the bullseyes with one ragged hole! Just freakin' awesome. And inspiring!

Last edited:
    "Too old to shoot?" Hell no!

While I was at the range today, an older couple came in. The old man set up in the lane to my right. His very cute (also elderly) wife, dressed to the "nines" took a chair and sat to watch him. I'll admit my first thought was, "Let me step out of my booth and keep an eye on him, to make sure he's handling his guns safely." All appeared good and safe. I stepped back into my booth and continued shooting.

And then... I noticed his small silhouette target (at 10 yards). Two very tight groups! A moment later, he leaned around the corner to express his admiration of my target, considering I was shooting a snubnose .38 revolver.

"May I ask how old you are?" He proudly said 87 years old! And it turns out he is a retired LEO from Baltimore. While I failed to ascertain which pistols he was shooting, I did notice he was using iron sights.

View attachment 8424960

That encounter made my day! Usually at the range, I'm astonished at how BAD so many of the shooters are.

I would have never expected an 87 year old to be tearing out the bullseyes with one ragged hole! Just freakin' awesome. And inspiring!
    OUTSTANDING !!! (y) (y) (y)

"Too old to shoot?" Hell no!

While I was at the range today, an older couple came in. The old man set up in the lane to my right. His very cute (also elderly) wife, dressed to the "nines," took a chair and sat to watch him. I'll admit my first thought was, "Let me step out of my booth and keep an eye on him, to make sure he's handling his guns safely." All appeared good and safe. I stepped back into my booth and continued shooting.

View attachment 8424960

If you post that 2nd pic w/o all the fluff text I could tell better.....but it looks like CZ, the red grip shadow or tac sport.....maybe, kinda.
    If it is a shadow or tacsport it's easily understandable why the grouping is so good, those things shoot like a lazer.

Reactions: Racer88
    If you post that 2nd pic w/o all the fluff text I could tell better.....but it looks like CZ, the red grip shadow or tac sport.....maybe, kinda.
    If it is a shadow or tacsport it's easily understandable why the grouping is so good, those things shoot like a lazer.
    1716582140612.png

Man, that’s super cool, and great shooting by that guy! Neat to see more aged shooters getting it done still. Had the chance at a well known school to compete in a man to man competition. A lady there that was just over 80 came very close to beating me! I admit I was flagging a little to “not make her look bad” and that almost cost me!

Reactions: Racer88