• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Percussion Cap Rifles(strange/eccentric question)

Re: Percussion Cap Rifles(strange/eccentric question)

Here is a target I shot at 200 yards with a Knight "Long Range Hunter" last year. This gun just plain shoots. I was able to get consistant hits on a 12" steel out to 350 yards after I worked up a dope sheet and just dialed in the comeups.

DSC_0441.jpg

DSC_0439.jpg

ive experienced decent accuracy from several muzzleloaders at short ranges like 100 and under. but my sidelock's lock time has caused a missed deer once. he was runnin perpendicular to me at about 50 yards...an easy hit with any centerfire, but the nearly second long pause after the click of the hammer as i was swinging the muzzle with the deer produced one center of mass hit on an oak tree and one unscathed lucky buck.

The old Thompson Center Renegade .54s used to shoot well under MOA at 100 yds. with round ball, Poly Patches, and FFFG; I believe the load was 110 grains.